CAE OD100 ??s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by keith_t4e, Jul 16, 2008.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm trying to get an OD100 Standard. Though I'd probably like to get the new pluss models or even the SE +; I've found a good deal on a regular CAE OD100 Standard. My two questions are as follows: First, how do the regular ol standards stack up to the new Pluss models as far as tone and gain realizing the clean chanel is the same in both. Next, what celestion speakers work the best with these amps. Usually the put V30s. I'm not a huge fan of V30s. For some amps they work. In others they do not. I'm thinking if John S. uses them in the CAE cabinets they must work for this amp. thanks

2. R.D.

R.D. Member

The good news is, the OD- platform is very 'moddable", so i'd suggest that once you've got the amp., send it out to John for updating to Std+ specs. Or if the amp dosen't have enough compression for you, then look at the SE+ ....

They're just about the same in gain potential, but John says the Std+ is actually more aggressive sounding and open sounding, where the SE+ is smoother and more compressed ....

As far as speakers, I've used V30's ( not my favorite either ), Greenbacks ( great with the gain down and the speaker resonance up ). But my faves. are actually the new G-65 and Gold ....

Good Luck !

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

4. hdahs143

hdahs143 Supporting Member

From what I've read, Suhr is recommending Eminence Governors, in addition to Vintage 30's. I cant stand V30's. Too much of an upper mid spike for me

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

all the od100s i've played were absolutely badass, with that magical combination of crunchy sustain and massive headroom.

6. MARK1970

MARK1970 Member

I had a standard and took it in to get converted to the SE+. I believe mine is one of the first SE+. I have the same transformer and 5881. This thing just kills. I purchased a 2x12 cabinet from Tone Merchants. It came with Govenors. I have to say they sound great. This amp just sounds better and better everytime I play it. The only bad thing about the OD100 is it does not come with a roadie. The thing is heavy as hell. Buy the amp you won't be dissapointed. I have heard John Suhr will work with you and tweak the amp to what you are looking for aswell. The customer service is definately second to none. Best wishes for whatever you decide.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

MY OD100 [THE PLEXI MODEL] liked 75 Hz Scumbacks...outrageous tones

8. spazmonkey

spazmonkey Member

I have the se+ and have been reading about the std+, but I can't get myself to convert it to the std+ because I LOVE the feel and tone from the amp as is so I'm now saving up some cash to buy the std+ as well. Boy my wife is gonna KILL me!!!