CAE OD100 SE+ vs. Diezel Herbert vs. Bogner Uberschall

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mhenson42, Jun 16, 2008.

1. mhenson42

mhenson42 Supporting Member

For those that have played these amps, how would you say the CAE OD100 SE+ (w/el34s and plexi OT) it compares to the Diezel Herbert and Bogner Uberschall in terms of gain, saturation, compression, tightness, low end, thickness and shear brutality?

Have you played the 50 watt version? How does it compare to the 100w?

2. samhill

samhill Member

I tried an OD100 Classic at the same time as a Diezel Herbert and V4. I kept going back to the OD100 during the time I was demoing. I found the Diezel's dark, lots of gain but not to my personal liking. After trying the OD100 Classic I wound up buying a CAE 3+se preamp, then eventually after talking to John Suhr I got the OD100se+. For me the OD100se+ just kills, it is thick, tight and cuts through a mix like crazy. My solos sound thick and have a really nice compression while still maintaining great pick attack and edge without ever being harsh. The rhythms are chunky, thick and tight and full. Do a barre chord with full gain and you can still hear every note. The cleans on channel 1 are simply breath-taking. This is my favourite amp ever!!! Every time I'm on stage I can't believe it's me playing.

Mark

3. mhenson42

^thanks man. I belive it is your youtube vids that have me interested in this amp in the first place.

4. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I've seen the youtube as well. great tones man.

5. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Matt,

I've owned all three (actually the Uber on 4 different occaisions) and the Herbert and Uberschall are definitely in the modern high gain camp (heavy preamp gain + heavy bass), while the OD-100SE+ is in the modified Marshall high gain camp (more in line competion-wise with the XTC).

As far as preamp gain goes, the Herbert has the most, followed by the Uber then OD-100SE+. The big difference is on the voicing, and all three are voiced on the darkside, and I like to run the presence high on both the Herbert and OD-100SE+... the big difference with the Uber is that the way in which the presence works, so I like to run it around 9:00 for more of scooped mid voicing with the treble up around 2:00. All three have plenty of bass as well. Actually, Suhr cut down on the amount of bass in the SE+ vs the previous incarnations which actually had more. The SE+ with boost on, on the lead channel, has 4 preamp gain stages (same as the Dual Recto, SLO, Uber), so there's plenty of gain, but the big difference is the amp's voicing. If you haven't owned a SE+, go for it. It's a great sounding amp, with well thoughtout features, and it is extremely well built.

:cool:

6. thegame

thegame Member

Doesn't the Uber's gain ch. go through 5 gain stages ?

7. mhenson42

Thanks Mike. That helps alot.

8. Wizard of Ozz

Depends if you count the cathode follower as a "true" gain stage or not. For example, the Soldano SLO uses a dual cathode follower design (2 triodes)... which some will say equals 6 gain stages. See what I mean...

9. Wizard of Ozz

Glad to be of help.

The SE+ might actually replace your 101B. ;)

10. mhenson42

:eek: That's blasphemous.

I actually offered up my Uber in partial trade for another ENGL SE yesterday though. Not happening though.