Cage Corsa Appreciation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Killcrop, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

I've had the Cage Corsa now for a couple of months. I ordered it new from Pete Cage and it came in within a week of when he said it would. I wanted to play it for a while before I formed an opinion.

I could go on about how great the construction and cab work is but I'd like to talk about the amps tone and what it does well.

First of all this amp sits in the mix and on stage as good or better than anything I've ever owned or tried. The Corsa is one of those amps that are made to perform live. The voicing is near perfect. It's not flubby, harsh or ice picky. It's tight and thick sounding with crispy highs and mids that are not in the least bit harsh. This has the full tight bottom of a higher-powered Marshall. It really packs some thump. It seems to fill the room without being painfully loud. Very easy on the ears. The half power switch retains all these qualities as well. Great small to medium club amp.

The second thing I really like is it embraces the qualities of your guitar. With my R7 it crunches like a Komet and sings like crazy. If I back off the volume is cleans up nicely and retains the guitars sweetness but still sings and sustains.
    When I plug in my Suhr Strat it takes on a whole different vibe. It becomes Fendery. It nails the Robert Cray punchy clean thing like crazy or it can get Hendrixy when you dig in.

The third thing I really like is it's middle ground overdrive tones. Pete Cage says the goal was a seamless transition into OD. The transition is controlled by you. The amp is so dynamic that it seems to react to your intensity. If I need more crunch this thing eats up the TIM pedal. The OD won't really allow you to get to crazy but what overdrive there is very musical. I can't stand to hear band that uses so much gain that you can't here the notes.

The forth thing I really like is the amps clarity. There is no buzzyness or fizz to the notes. The overdrive is so natural sounding. The clean tones almost sound acoustic.

I was tired of buying amps and buying into the hype just to be disappointed. The Cage came with no hype.
    It transmits the sounds of your guitar in a style that will be familiar in texture but a clone of nothing. It seems to emulate the emotions of the music and is truly refreshing to play.

If all that isn't enough you can pickup the phone and call the guy that makes them. He builds them one at a time made to order. He even makes the cabs. Pete is very cool to talk to and he knows tone. Last I checked the price was $1375. Unbelievable value for a hand wired, hand built instrument.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

so, I can't quite tell from your post......is it a keeper?

;)

3. Killcrop

Yeah it's a keeper. I got a spot picked out for it and everything.

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

it's great when you find something which really floats your boat. and from a really nice guy, makes it all that much better....

5. Frank B

Frank B Supporting Member

I really like my Corsa. Pete Cage was a great guy to do business with:AOK

The Corsa sounds really great- I don't miss having an extra channel with it b/c it is just a really nice sounding amp.

6. blrogers

blrogers Member

well I have only had mine for about a month now but I am really enjoying it. bought it used off the emporium and so far I could not be happier. I have the matching 1x12 cab and boy do they look fetching together.

Dave- you pretty much nailed all the reasons I love this amp. when i first got it i was worried that it wasnt going to be loud enough, but its just so easy on the ears it tricks you. plenty loud! just makes your guitar sound like a really good guitar. CLARITY!

havent tried it with humbuckers yet but it eats my tele up. i can only imagine....

best thing I can say about it is it makes me want to play all the time.:D

I sent an email to Pete thanking him saying prety much the same thing.

fantastic

B

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Too cool. Congrats!

I got to get out and hear that thing, when's your next show?

8. Killcrop

Scott, next show is the weekend before Halloween.

9. Killcrop

Have you guys who own this amp ever used this setting?

Normal channel only. Tone dimmed all the way to the right
    Volume around half to full. Tube Rec on. 1/2 power

Witha Lester this takes on a tweed kind of vibe. Thick and raunchy.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Pete Cage is an amp scholar and a gentleman (and that's Tom Gross there, in front of my Cage bandmaster-alike one-off). :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. blrogers

blrogers Member

Jon-

was that a special favor or is he open to doing more of that? I just got a Corsa and I was just pondering how great it would be if he made someting in the fender vain. If he would build me 2x10 fender style amp..... oh he would be my favorite person on earth. :D

B

12. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

I'm hatin' life right now...

Actually...if it had to go I'm glad it went to a TGPer. I loved that amp. BTW...It sounds great with my Timbuckers runnin' through it. And I loved the way it behaved with pedals.

Glad you're pleased.

jeffhef

13. blrogers

blrogers Member

jeff-

thanks a lot... I could tell on the phone that you really liked her. I promise to take good care of her.

I just got the Bob Burt cabinet that I ordered a while back and she sounds even better through a 2x12. :D

if you ever need a kidney or anyting....:eek: I owe you one.

here a pic of the new cab
    [​IMG]

B

14. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

alesandro blue tick hound to cage corsa? from the reviews they sound like maybe some similar ground.....of course the blue tick can run 34's or 6v6's. oh and the alesandro is more expensive.

15. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Oh man!!! There's my baby!! Just knowing someone appreciates it is good enough at this point. I played that thing in church every week for almost a year...

4 services on Sunday
    1 on Friday
    1 on Wednesday
    Practice on Wednesday
    Practice on Tuesday

She never even had to have a tube replaced. That amp is an absolute workhorse. And just sings the sweetest tone.

Youj should open it up and look at it. Pete must keep his house in immaculate condition. It's the neatest wire routing I've ever seen.

Not to mention he's such a classy guy to deal with.

BTW...there's another for sale over in the Emporium. Someone needs to jump on it. The amp is a winner!!

Enjoy. I know I did. But sometimes if you love something...you gotta let it go.

jeffhef

16. blrogers

blrogers Member

just got done playing on half power with my tele. i love this amp. i didnt turn the volume on the guitar past 5 and it was just beautiful clear heaven. even on the neck pick up.

ill give some props to jason lollar for the pickups as well.
    tele specials......mmmmmm special.

b

17. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Ok...now you're just rubbing it in. :(

Love to hear it actually. It's a fantastic amp.

jeffhef

18. Brick

Brick Member

+1 million

I don't have a Cage amp yet :D but I did take my Ampeg V2 up to Pete's shop for a health check and I've got to say he is genuinely one of the nicest guys on the planet.

During the checkup, one of the RCA blackplate tubes accidentally broke during testing and he replaced it from his personal stock. He didn't have to tell me and I would never have known. He showed me both the cracked tube and the new one. He also went above and beyond in fixing the AC outlet on the back, by making a new mold for the broken half to make it match the original. Pete emailed me along the way updating me on the progress of the checkup. He also invited me to a non-guitar even he was teaching this weekend...if I wasn't sick I'd go for sure.

Needless to say the V2, is totally healthy, gigworthy and sounds even more amazing. Thanks Pete! :dude

19. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Interesting. I went to Pete's Web site and read up on the Corsa.

In what ways is it different from the older Cage 18/30 amp? Years ago, I got his test mule for a week and really admired it.

Kiwi

20. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Biggest difference is the ability to use a tube rectifier if I remember correctly.

jeffhef