Cakewalk Sonar X1 vs. ProTools 9

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
I have Cakewalk Sonar X1. I don't do much of anything with MIDI other than Jamstix (drum program) but even then I'm letting the program set the patterns. Mostly I just need a solid program to record audio. I have a MAudio 610 Firewire interface. Anything that ProTools can do that I can't with my set up? I know ProTools now allows for other HW. I guess one thing is I could do a project and more easily take it into studio.

Kenny D

I own SONAR Producer IV as well as Protools HD 7.3 system.

I loved the UI in SONAR, especially for MIDI. Protools, not so much. I use Protools now almost exclusively for a couple of reasons. I like the fact that I am not dragging down the CPU with FX and that it is portable. I can take my whole PT session and open it right up in almost every other pro studio.

I have gotten used to the MIDI interface in PT so I am sticking with it for now.

I went with SONAR originally because it did everything I wanted back then. Now it's more important to be compatible with a pro studio where I plan on having my projects mixed.

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
I own SONAR Producer IV as well as Protools HD 7.3 system.

I loved the UI in SONAR, especially for MIDI. Protools, not so much. I use Protools now almost exclusively for a couple of reasons. I like the fact that I am not dragging down the CPU with FX and that it is portable. I can take my whole PT session and open it right up in almost every other pro studio.

I have gotten used to the MIDI interface in PT so I am sticking with it for now.

I went with SONAR originally because it did everything I wanted back then. Now it's more important to be compatible with a pro studio where I plan on having my projects mixed.
This is what I've been hearing. I guess it's whether the investment is worth it. Does anyone know if ProTools offers crossgrade pricing for competitive shifts?

Kenny D

This is what I've been hearing. I guess it's whether the investment is worth it. Does anyone know if ProTools offers crossgrade pricing for competitive shifts?
My guess is not, but you should check with Digidesign to be sure.

Also, I have an HD-2 TDM system. Some of the things I said in my last post only apply to a TDM system (FX and stuff).

Protools works for me and that's all that counts. I have been thinking of upgrading to PT 9. I hear they fixed a lot of problems with the MIDI UI.

Trending Topics