Cali76 CD: do you get a warble/dropout when engaging?

Broomz

Hey all, I'm having an issue with my new Cali76 Compact Deluxe that I think is probably a defect, but I can't be sure. When I engage the pedal, there is a momentary warble or dropout as the pedal kicks in. I can't see how I could ever step on this live in the middle of a song. This is not happening on my large box Cali76-TX. Here is a track demonstrating the issue. The first pedal is the TX which has a normal, "clicking" switch but otherwise keeps a constant signal going through the pedal as expected. The second pedal is the CD which has a silent switch and where you can hear the dropout/warble every time the switch is pressed. Both pedals are set with roughly the same low-ratio settings, more or less at unity gain. If you have a Cali76 CD please let me know if this is normal or if I should be pursuing a return/replacement. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

dirtandstones

Silver Supporting Member
I had one do the same thing. I was told it was intentional by the guys at origin. It's supposed to be the pedal easing in to the compression so it's not abrupt. it'd be fine if the volume didn't drop out at first. I just stuck with the big box because of it.

Broomz

I had one do the same thing. I was told it was intentional by the guys at origin. It's supposed to be the pedal easing in to the compression so it's not abrupt. it'd be fine if the volume didn't drop out at first. I just stuck with the big box because of it.
Bummer. :(
How is that not abrupt? The way the big box does it is clearly superior!

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
weird i never noticed the compact version doing that. & with the TX or the GP it has the click switch so...
if i remember my compact was completely quiet. i remember wishing that effectrode used these switches because there
ive always noticed a quick volume drop with effectrode pedals and figured it was a just side-effect of the click less switches...
they claim to have no "pop" and there was definitely no "pop" but there was a slight ramp-into the effect.
luckly my cali-compressors and effectrode pedals (blackbird and fire bottle) are always on.

Broomz

weird i never noticed the compact version doing that. & with the TX or the GP it has the click switch so...
if i remember my compact was completely quiet. i remember wishing that effectrode used these switches because there
ive always noticed a quick volume drop with effectrode pedals and figured it was a just side-effect of the click less switches...
they claim to have no "pop" and there was definitely no "pop" but there was a slight ramp-into the effect.
luckly my cali-compressors and effectrode pedals (blackbird and fire bottle) are always on.
I'm still hoping that it's a malfunction with my unit and not just the way the CD is. I can't believe there could be thread after thread of glowing reviews about it and not one mention of this (I searched thoroughly.) I realize a lot of people leave them on but should you have to step on/off it, it's pretty noticeable/disruptive.

I may email Origin support to get a confirmation of whether this is standard behavior or an anomaly.

Last edited:

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
I'm still hoping that it's a malfunction with my unit and not just the way the CD is. I can't believe there could be thread after thread of glowing reviews about it and not one mention of this (I searched thoroughly.) I realize a lot of people leave them on but should you have to step on/off it, it's pretty noticeable/disruptive.

I may email Origin support to get a confirmation of whether this is standard behavior or an anomaly.

Please keep us posted if you do contact them. I'd also love to hear what other CD owners are experiencing. I have one on the way, and if this is indeed normal, it would drive me nuts.

Broomz

Please keep us posted if you do contact them. I'd also love to hear what other CD owners are experiencing. I have one on the way, and if this is indeed normal, it would drive me nuts.
Sure thing! Please also post back when you get yours and let us know if you experience same.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
fwiw:
are you using
"A PSU with a current rating of at least 200mA is preferable due to the ability to suppy sufficient in-rush current to ensure a clean start-up."?

because, according to Origin,
"Some low current supplies will intermittently shut-down due to protection circuitry, which results in an audible relay "flutter"."

sounds like i'd absolutely go with a separate, correctly-rated & fully isolated PSU with this pedal, if it were me.

dirtandstones

Silver Supporting Member

From the response I got:

"Having tested over a hundred pedals since I last contacted you I can confirm that this all sounds normal for the compact range. At "regular-settings" the fade is VERY slight. However, at low levels the fade is quite pronounced, and the signal does start fading from below unity. However, IMO these settings are less realistic for use anyway as they will yield higher signal-to-noise.

The fade is a deliberate feature of the design to try to get to a silent mode of switching. I hope you feel that the fade is acceptable now that it seems that your unit is working to spec?"

I think a lot of folks use these always on, so it's a non-issue. I typically use it for subtle leads and the fade was killing me. When the drummer notices, it's noticeable. Ha!

Broomz

fwiw:
are you using
"A PSU with a current rating of at least 200mA is preferable due to the ability to suppy sufficient in-rush current to ensure a clean start-up."?

because, according to Origin,
"Some low current supplies will intermittently shut-down due to protection circuitry, which results in an audible relay "flutter"."

sounds like i'd absolutely go with a separate, correctly-rated & fully isolated PSU with this pedal, if it were me.
Yeah that track was done with separate PSUs (wall-warts) for each pedal. And also I tried them both on 9v and 18v and the results were the same as what you hear for each.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah that track was done with separate PSUs (wall-warts) for each pedal. And also I tried them both on 9v and 18v and the results were the same as what you hear for each.

sorry to repeat, but:
wall-warts w/current rating of 200ma, minimum? no daisy-chaining of voltage to pedals?

Broomz

"Having tested over a hundred pedals since I last contacted you I can confirm that this all sounds normal for the compact range. At "regular-settings" the fade is VERY slight. However, at low levels the fade is quite pronounced, and the signal does start fading from below unity. However, IMO these settings are less realistic for use anyway as they will yield higher signal-to-noise.
Except what you hear in my track above is "regular settings". Ratio at 9:00, Attack 9:00, Release 3:00, Input and Output around noon.
IMG_2234_zps3ohccjr9.jpg

Who wrote that to you? Origin themselves? It's weird to say they're trying to get to a "silent mode of switching" when the big box accomplishes it already with no problem.

Last edited:

dirtandstones

Silver Supporting Member
Except what you hear in my track above is "regular settings". Ratio at 9:00, Attack 9:00, Release 3:00, Input and Output around noon.

Who wrote that to you? Origin themselves? It's weird to say they're trying to get to a "silent mode of switching" when the big box accomplishes it already with no problem.
You have yours set up like mine was. Yes, that was from origin directly. Contact them yourself and ask, maybe we both had/have defective units. Hell, I'd love to hear that because I'd buy another.

Unclear myself for the need to silent switch like this. I understand the clickless switching, sure, but I'm not clear on the ramping and why it's utilized.

CaprioM85

Never had an issue with mine like this. Not once. I am, however, using the reccomended power source to run it at 18v plugged into the courtesyboutlet of my power source. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
Fascinating thread - thanks for the responses all. If this is indeed normal, which it sounds like it is, I can see a big reason for using the larger units over the compact ones if the compressor won't be always on.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom