California luthiers / repairmen: nitrocellulose lacquer availability question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Riscchip, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

Greetings,

The technical forum seemed like the best place to post this question, so here goes:

This may be old news to everyone else, but I was looking online to buy a gallon of nitrocellulose lacquer and I'm noticing a number of places won't ship it to California at all. On Woodcraft's website they say:

"Not Permitted to Ship to Several Zip Codes in the State of California."

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/behlen-luthiers-lacquer-quart

They have a link to "learn more" that contains no additional info on this. No zip codes are specified. I didn't really find anything too useful on Google either, but I may have missed something obvious.

LMII, which is here in the state, sells the Cardinal product and doesn't have any such restriction listed so I ordered there, but wondering if any other California based folk who work with nitrocellulose lacquer have been having any trouble getting a hold of it?

And yes, I am aware of why--California has strict environmental regulations / nitro is bad, etc. I get all that. I'm just curious if people who use this stuff more often than I do have been running into any issues and / or know what "zip codes" might be impacted, if that's true.

--Carson

2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

You can buy it, but only one quart or rattle can at a time.

3. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Check a local Cardinal distributor. Easy peasy

4. Grez

Grez Gold Supporting Member

Stew Mac will sell qts and will ship to CA. Most others won't. LMI will sell qts or gallons I think. The MOQ from Cardinal directly is 4 gallons and they will ship inside CA to addresses most wont.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Think of it as the perfect excuse for a Vegas/Reno road trip.

6. Riscchip

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I was able to order a gallon easy enough from LMII, but I'm still seeing mostly mystery as to what the broader situation is. What the heck are these "several zip codes" and why are some folks willing to ship when other's aren't. Seems like rather shakey footing. I emailed some online retailers and will report back what they have to say.

I go through a gallon of nitro pretty slow--I suspect the next gallon will indeed mean a trip to Vegas.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  7. Riscchip

Where are you seeing quarts of nitrocellulose lacquer at Stew Mac? I only see rattle cans.

8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

9. Riscchip

Ah yes, that totally fooled me. The "tallness" of the can made me think it was a spray can, even though it obviously isn't if you pay attention. Thanks!

Probably a lot easier to pour from that can, as well.

10. Grez

Grez Gold Supporting Member

Not 100% certain, but I believe in California, it's based on the population of an area and the amount you can buy. Where I am, you can not spray it, but 20 miles North were it is more rural, I believe you can. Same sort of thing with the amount you can buy. This level of complexity makes most people just say, "Can't ship to CA". Again, my loose understanding.......

11. Riscchip

Okay, that is starting to make more sense to me. I can definitely see retailers not wanting the hassle of figuring out where they can and can't ship. Thanks for the info.

12. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

It's all due to local pollution laws.