California seems to be on fire all the time.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Totally Bored, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Horrible :bonk

Stay safe my California peeps

2. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Some years are worse than others. But it’s the nature of this location. A flawed paradise.

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Yeah man, my uncle is out there on vacation and he says it's just crazy! I hope you guys get some rain pretty quick, I can't imagine how sucky this must be.

Totally Bored likes this.
  4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Such a beautiful place with great weather conditions but I quess that great weather means no rain :bonk

sundog964 likes this.
  5. Ransome

Ransome Supporting Member

I live in Ventura and have for most of my life. This is the worst fire I've seen in my life here. I was in a voluntary evacuation zone until last night. We are still seeing hot spots and it's only 5% contained. Burnt over 90,000 acres at present.

time2kill likes this.
  6. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Only small parts of it. California is HUGE. Both the current LA fires and the recent Sonoma/Napa fires are freak occurrences driven by some unusual weather.

derekd likes this.
  7. Spec

Spec Supporting Member

Most of the hills burning haven't burned in 50 years. They are thick with lots of dead dry brush from the last several years of drought also. The terrain is (mostly) too steep to walk even if you could get through the brush.

Shame that people are loosing houses but it was inevitable that there would be big fires.

8. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

You also have to remember that California is a HUGE state.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yeah, but so often the places people fight over are the ones that burn the hardest.

Anyone looking for a new home in Wasco or Banning?

+

I remember reading about this sort of event, as a sprout, in a Ross McDonald novel. I think the current year has surpassed anything McDonald ever knew about.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I trail run in Worsham canyon that overlooks Whittier college. If that burns, it will be real bad. It is so overgrown and dry. I have come to terms with the fact that if fire breaks out while I am there, I'm done for...

time2kill, Steve Hotra and Spec like this.
  11. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

Used to live in Riverside myself, back in the mid 1980s. Been to Banning many times over the years.

12. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Supporting Member

Fire is natural there, but fire suppression and overbuilding into wilderness areas are not -- and human behavior has also likely exacerbated the drought/flood cycles in multiple ways, too.

Very sad all around -- condolences to those coping with this.

13. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

When it’s not on fire, houses are falling into the ocean from mudslides. And then there are earthquakes. Other places have weather. California has catastrophes.

14. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

The notable fire damage, which is what you hear about, with loss of homes and all, takes place for the most part on the edges. The cities push out, there is always going to be an edge. That’s where the natural fire areas meet the homes. I live near a couple of current fires, but I’m not on the edge, and I don’t feel that I’m in any danger.

The Bel Air Fire is a bit of an exception, the terrain and the freeway have kept a sort of an edge situation there for the people that live just above the pass, and the wealthy nature of that neighborhood too, with big properties with trees and all. But that’s a relatively small fire and while it’s sad for the ones that lost their homes, at this point that’s only four.

time2kill and Peteyvee like this.
  15. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

The Dec 5th pic.

I don't think NASA has posted one since:

[​IMG]

Here's another one from the 5th, from a Euro satellite.
    False-color, but it shows the burn scar nicely:

[​IMG]

REF: from various daily iterations of https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/

"Image Of The Day"

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

It’s not a contest, and I don’t feel like I have to somehow defend California, but tell that to the people of Texas and Florida, and those living in tornado alley. Or the people that freeze to death during cold snaps—and I don’t have any statistics but I’m willing to bet there are quite a few more of those than there are homes that have fallen into the ocean.

Also, a little research might show that there have been a lot of wildfires in places that aren’t California, including recently.

17. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

I live in Houston. So I will tell it to myself. When I lived in LA, it was either 72 and sunny, or something horrible was happening. I’ve lived also in areas prone to hurricanes, blizzards, tornados, and floods. So I have some familiarity with the idea that it’s not only California that gets hit badly.

time2kill likes this.
  18. Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson Member

The fires and the mudslides are symbiotic in relationship. The fires comes first, then if the rains come viola! mud slide. Then after the rains the chaparral goes crazy, providing fuel to burn and begin the cycle. Ad some 50mph Santa Ana winds and you have a cataclysm.

There was a brutal fire season in the early 90s, that burned several hundred houses from Thousand Oaks to Laguna Beach. In 1978, Pacific Palisades burned all to hell. You could see it happening from where I grew up in Palos Verdes. My brother-in-law's family home was lost. This season is bad, but not the worst that I can remember. It's kind of like the definition of recession/depression, it's the worst fire season ever if your house burn downs.

The maddening thing is that these fires are likely human caused, either a spark off of a car or a careless cig toss or worse. We don't get a lot of lightening in SoCal, so that leaves human error or accidents or malicious intent.

19. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

New fire in North San Diego country spreading rapidly-----was just called that my son was having asthma attack at school and no inhaler with him, had to boogie home to grab inhaler and could barely see through smoke. Get to school and they are closing down sending all kids home due to smoke.

derekd and time2kill like this.
  20. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

L.A.'s on fire.
    Houston's under ten feet of water.
    P.R. and Florida are blown away.

Welcome to the USA.

time2kill likes this.