• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Caline pedals - thoughts?

Toppalini

Hey guys I just got a few caline pedals and they're really great for the price. Very clearly cheap build quality but sound pretty good. I had been wanting a big muff for ages but wasn't willing to pay the price for one and didn't know which to get. I couldn't find any cheap clones either. But then I found one by caline that was super cheap. I also got a germanium fuzzface clone that sounds great.

I've never had a big muff before and it wasn't exactly the sound I was expecting and has lower output than I thought, but sounds good. The fuzzface on the other hand is amazing for the price.

I just wanted to share about these pedals and get some thoughts. I also picked up their stack attack pedal but it isn't really what I needed but still a solid pedal it seems.

ant_riv

Silver Supporting Member
I purchased a couple a few years back.
They sounded great at home and rehearsals.

First gig, and the bar lights did not like them one bit. Horrible noise, off and on.
I switched every cable and tried an alternate power source. No improvement.

I switched to my back-up Boss pedals and no noise.
That was the last time I used them.

Toppalini

I purchased a couple a few years back.

First gig, and the bar lights did not like them one bit. Horrible noise, off and on.
I switched every cable and tried an alternate power source. No improvement.

I switched to my back-up Boss pedals and no noise.
That was the last time I used them.

Good to know, but for now I only play at home.

They are definitely cheap build quality. I noticed the m:fuzz power input got knocked out of place right away. And the metal feels cheap and the switch too. Joyo pedals feel more solid.

Well see what happens. I like cheap pedals so I can try new things or get effects I won't use much.

macrossgeorge

Silver Supporting Member
I got a Caline Reflector reverb which is actually an analog reverb built of BBD delay chips IIRC. It is a very unique reverb sound unlike any typical reverb but I love the sound. I use it for my livingroom practice amp which has no built in reverb of its own. I had considered using it on my rehearsal / live board. BUT... sometimes it can be unpredictable. One time I was playing it and it got stuck in a feedback loop with constant noise. I turned the knobs all the way down and back up again part way but it was still there. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was still there. I figured it was fried. Then a week later I tried it again and it was fine. Long story short is that it sounds great so far when it works but I would not rely on it for a band situation.

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
I dig Caline pedals and have several. If you want a good cheap Muff clone the Azor grey fuzz mini pedal is made by Caline.

The Pure Sky is a good one as well. And their Rat clone, the Headroom is also very good.

Nevets

Silver Supporting Member
Caline Orange Burst is a $28 OD with a wide tonal palette. Gets great reviews. I like mine a lot. A bit noisy with the gain turned up. Definitely a solid value.
Yeah I really loved mine. Replaced it with a Joyo Zip Amp which I like even more!

Toppalini

I dig Caline pedals and have several. If you want a good cheap Muff clone the Azor grey fuzz mini pedal is made by Caline.

The Pure Sky is a good one as well. And their Rat clone, the Headroom is also very good.
So they have more than one muff clone?? wow thanks for that, I might have to get another. Although at some point, it might just be cheaper to get the JHS Muffulletta. Let's say I end up getting 2 or 3 clones and eventually buy a EHX version, coulda had the muffulletta.

Toppalini

I got a Caline Reflector reverb which is actually an analog reverb built of BBD delay chips IIRC. It is a very unique reverb sound unlike any typical reverb but I love the sound. I use it for my livingroom practice amp which has no built in reverb of its own. I had considered using it on my rehearsal / live board. BUT... sometimes it can be unpredictable. One time I was playing it and it got stuck in a feedback loop with constant noise. I turned the knobs all the way down and back up again part way but it was still there. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it was still there. I figured it was fried. Then a week later I tried it again and it was fine. Long story short is that it sounds great so far when it works but I would not rely on it for a band situation.
I tend to hate digital reverb and reverb in general unless it's real room reverb so I'll check this out.

Kennyscrown

I was really pushed for cash a couple of years ago, but the GAS was still was biting, so I was tempted by the Caline and other cheap Chinese clones.

I bought a Pure Sky, and a Donner Super Hard-on clone. Within days of putting them on my pedal board, I was beset by intermittent issues - sometimes the bass element of my rig would drop right out, sometimes the sound wouldn't come on at all, at other times there was constant buzzing. Ejected the pedals, all was well again.

I think the edict "you get what you pay for" is always born out, or as my German friend says - "I can't afford to buy cheap".

Toppalini

I was really pushed for cash a couple of years ago, but the GAS was still was biting, so I was tempted by the Caline and other cheap Chinese clones.

I bought a Pure Sky, and a Donner Super Hard-on clone. Within days of putting them on my pedal board, I was beset by intermittent issues - sometimes the bass element of my rig would drop right out, sometimes the sound wouldn't come on at all, at other times there was constant buzzing. Ejected the pedals, all was well again.

I think the edict "you get what you pay for" is always born out, or as my German friend says - "I can't afford to buy cheap".
I use a lot of Joyo pedals. Particularly their american and british amp boxes. They sound like a real tube amp if you plug into a monitor. These are $40 pedals that are clones of $150+ pedals, and probably sound as good as any amp box (though I'd love to try some nice ones). The only other Joyo pedal I use is a classic chorus as a placeholder for a nice one. I've used others before and they're great.

Behringer makes quite good pedals at well but the only downside is they're plastic and it doesn't feel right on an all metal board. But the circuits and build quality and durability are there. And they probably last longer than pedals with the stomp switches as far as the mechanism to turn them on goes.

I bought a $150 ibanez pedal that had a switch that gave out after a few weeks, and the pot gave out after paying to have switch replaced. It was a wh10v3 so it's a wah, and that's mid range or high end price wise for a wah. And it was a piece of garbage. I ended up getting a wilson effects wah and I've had 0 issues with the pot or anything else. But I had to fork out 215 so that was a lot. My point here is you can spend a lot and still get burned. I heard fender also puts out a ton of garbage, and has a wah with bad switches thats 100 which is cheapish. But their non guitar gear I've heard can be pretty bad.

I could totally afford to buy the $200 version of all these pedals but it's just wasteful. I'm not sure I'll like them or use them that much when I buy cheap; if it's something I need, I'm forking out. All this cash I save will be spent on something like a kickass amp or american guitar.

It's kind of like with food. You can buy the cheapest eggs or the fanciest eggs and they're still just eggs.

onwingsoflead

I've got a few Caline pedals. The Diamond Comp clone and KOT clone have earned a spot on my board. They sound great, and hold their own up against boutique stuff. Running them on a quality power supply makes a HUGE difference.

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
I have an Enchanted Tone and a Big Orange; not so big on the ET...admittedly, I bought it used/ultra cheap just because of the artwork lmfao...but the Big Orange is totally good stuff if you want an Orange in a box instead of a Marshall in a box. It's a fun and easy way to bring a generic take on my Rocker32 into other amps when needed.

Last edited:

old crow

Silver Supporting Member
Big Orange is permanent fixture on my board. I use it with an Iridium.
It has the perfect tone and just a bit of mid boost, but hardly any.
Having both bass and treble is bonus and the mid gain comes in right at the end
of the bass pot.
Goes from clean boost to o.d.

kohoutec

Another Pure Sky owner here. It's my favourite overdrive pedal...okay I know it's a budget construction Timmy clone, and yes, I really should buy the real thing (and plan to at some point) but mine has been good as gold.

No build issues, I've gigged it, rehearse with it every week, it's not skipped a beat.

It is however always in the back of my mind that is got more potential to die on me any second, than other better built pedals.

Top Bottom