• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Caline pedals - thoughts?

onwingsoflead

Another Pure Sky owner here. It's my favourite overdrive pedal...okay I know it's a budget construction Timmy clone, and yes, I really should buy the real thing (and plan to at some point) but mine has been good as gold.

No build issues, I've gigged it, rehearse with it every week, it's not skipped a beat.

It is however always in the back of my mind that is got more potential to die on me any second, than other better built pedals.
I don't feel that way. Open one up. They are built pretty much the same as most standard pedals these days. Mix of through hole and SMD, decent boards, decent board mounted pots. I suppose maaaaaybe the footswitches are iffy, but that's pretty easy to remedy if things go pear shaped. I think we could make the case that Chinese pedals were crap 10 or so years ago, but the gap is closing. There are still a few brands that make crap, but Joyo, Caline, Flamma, and a couple others are pushing out some great stuff.

kohoutec

I don't feel that way. Open one up. They are built pretty much the same as most standard pedals these days. Mix of through hole and SMD, decent boards, decent board mounted pots. I suppose maaaaaybe the footswitches are iffy, but that's pretty easy to remedy if things go pear shaped. I think we could make the case that Chinese pedals were crap 10 or so years ago, but the gap is closing. There are still a few brands that make crap, but Joyo, Caline, Flamma, and a couple others are pushing out some great stuff.
Good to know - I'm only basing my thoughts on the limited exposure I've had to the 'budget' pedals. Not had another Caline, but I did have a Joyo (Ultimate Drive I think) that packed up 2 days after getting it. I also have a TC Ditto clone, I think it's made by 'Rowin' - that's got a dodgy jack socket.
But - As i say, the Caline hasn't given me any grief, and long may that continue :)

Toppalini

I've got a few Caline pedals. The Diamond Comp clone and KOT clone have earned a spot on my board. They sound great, and hold their own up against boutique stuff. Running them on a quality power supply makes a HUGE difference.
I use snark wall plugs and haven't had problems. Really good to know about the comp i need a good comp. Any ideas are good ideas

Toppalini

I've got a few Caline pedals. The Diamond Comp clone and KOT clone have earned a spot on my board. They sound great, and hold their own up against boutique stuff. Running them on a quality power supply makes a HUGE difference.
I think they hold their own against boutique stuff in functionality but my Wilson effects pedals are a whole other world as far as feel and quality of the build go. And there's nothing like being able to hit up the guy who built your pedal and have him get back to you in a few hours even if it's just a silly question. Or knowing that if anything goes wrong it'll be made right.

Boutique isn't always better though. There are a lot of boutique pedals I would buy if I felt like they were real pros with warrantys and guarantees. If it's a pedal I use every day I'll pay extra for the good one that'll work out no matter what. But for pedals I might not need, I'd rather go cheap with the risks of that. As long as they do what they should it's all good.

Kennyscrown

I use a lot of Joyo pedals. Particularly their american and british amp boxes. They sound like a real tube amp if you plug into a monitor. These are $40 pedals that are clones of $150+ pedals, and probably sound as good as any amp box (though I'd love to try some nice ones). The only other Joyo pedal I use is a classic chorus as a placeholder for a nice one. I've used others before and they're great.

Behringer makes quite good pedals at well but the only downside is they're plastic and it doesn't feel right on an all metal board. But the circuits and build quality and durability are there. And they probably last longer than pedals with the stomp switches as far as the mechanism to turn them on goes.

I bought a $150 ibanez pedal that had a switch that gave out after a few weeks, and the pot gave out after paying to have switch replaced. It was a wh10v3 so it's a wah, and that's mid range or high end price wise for a wah. And it was a piece of garbage. I ended up getting a wilson effects wah and I've had 0 issues with the pot or anything else. But I had to fork out 215 so that was a lot. My point here is you can spend a lot and still get burned. I heard fender also puts out a ton of garbage, and has a wah with bad switches thats 100 which is cheapish. But their non guitar gear I've heard can be pretty bad.

I could totally afford to buy the $200 version of all these pedals but it's just wasteful. I'm not sure I'll like them or use them that much when I buy cheap; if it's something I need, I'm forking out. All this cash I save will be spent on something like a kickass amp or american guitar.

It's kind of like with food. You can buy the cheapest eggs or the fanciest eggs and they're still just eggs.
I do actually have a Joyo American Sound which I bought a few months ago. I previously had the Tech21 Liverpool which I did like, but as I have an AC15, it seemed a bit redundant. I'm doing a Neil You covers thing, and wanted to try out the Blonde version of the Liverpool to see if it could crack the NY sound, but didn't want to blow the cash on a Tech21.

I have to admit, it does sound quite good, and seems solid and quiet - I'm not sure I'd trust it to gig though, so I'm on the look out for a used Crazy Tubes Falcon/Formula 55 etc.

By the way, don't agree about the eggs! We rescue battery-cage hens, and have a couple of dozen hens in our back field. We don't buy eggs from supermarkets, but on the odd occasion we've bought free-range from a shop, they taste poor in comparison. Though I worked out the cost per egg a while ago, factoring in land rental, feed, our labour to clean and care for the hens etc. and I think each egg we get probably costs about $2!!

Price is too cheap. More expensive the better. I play like jimi hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and Jimi page at the same time with my $400 individual pedals.

onwingsoflead

I think they hold their own against boutique stuff in functionality but my Wilson effects pedals are a whole other world as far as feel and quality of the build go. And there's nothing like being able to hit up the guy who built your pedal and have him get back to you in a few hours even if it's just a silly question. Or knowing that if anything goes wrong it'll be made right.

Boutique isn't always better though. There are a lot of boutique pedals I would buy if I felt like they were real pros with warrantys and guarantees. If it's a pedal I use every day I'll pay extra for the good one that'll work out no matter what. But for pedals I might not need, I'd rather go cheap with the risks of that. As long as they do what they should it's all good.
Wilson makes incredible stuff. I need to get another Rippah Q wah

Toppalini

Be thankful. They could have charged extra for that.
I remember the first time that happened to me when I was in my first few months, I had a cheap tech 21 'modelling amp'. I thought it sounded so good but I played it a while ago after 3 years and it sounded like total garbage. especially with my pedals.

But I didn't know that cables could pick up radio. But this amp wasn't just picking up a tiny bit of quiet radio you have to strain to hear; it was like the thing was a damn radio. Full volume talk show with no distortion, crystal clear. I thought I had gone insane and asked my roommate if he could hear it and he said no to mess with me, but later said he could hear it. It was mind blowing to me.

I had this happen a little bit using an ibanez wh10v3. I'll take any chance I can get to rip on that piece of ****. First the switch gave out then the pot. Haven't had this happen in ages though.

Toppalini

I do actually have a Joyo American Sound which I bought a few months ago. I previously had the Tech21 Liverpool which I did like, but as I have an AC15, it seemed a bit redundant. I'm doing a Neil You covers thing, and wanted to try out the Blonde version of the Liverpool to see if it could crack the NY sound, but didn't want to blow the cash on a Tech21.

I have to admit, it does sound quite good, and seems solid and quiet - I'm not sure I'd trust it to gig though, so I'm on the look out for a used Crazy Tubes Falcon/Formula 55 etc.

By the way, don't agree about the eggs! We rescue battery-cage hens, and have a couple of dozen hens in our back field. We don't buy eggs from supermarkets, but on the odd occasion we've bought free-range from a shop, they taste poor in comparison. Though I worked out the cost per egg a while ago, factoring in land rental, feed, our labour to clean and care for the hens etc. and I think each egg we get probably costs about $2!!
I rely heavily on my Joyo american. It sounds AMAZING. The marshall one is great too but a bit too growly and low, a bit TOO british. They are SO. GOOD. I'd like to buy a fancier version just because, but what's the point really?

I tried their orange one too and didn't like it. Sounded a little too juicy with my pedals. And not in a good way. But sounded ok clean.

The way these things take pedals, I mean damn. It sounds just like a tube amp at lower volumes. It's really amazing. Using a monitor, with the voice turned down, using pedals to boost the thing to clip. It's just as good as a tube amp. I won't be buying any more tube amps because I can't use them loud. These pedals are consistent at any volume and actually perform best at very low volume with a monitor.

Toppalini

Wilson makes incredible stuff. I need to get another Rippah Q wah
I've been thinking of getting another one of their wah's just because. I have a ten spot 2 (the best wh10 clone). But they're expensive. I'd like to see him also build more types of pedals. I'd get his delay pedal but it's out of stock, too bad they're running a huge discount right now.

Toppalini

Price is too cheap. More expensive the better. I play like jimi hendrix, Eddie Van Halen and Jimi page at the same time with my $400 individual pedals.
That's not always necessarily true. I've had expensive pedals that were bad. Obviously multi-fx is handy, but it lacks the customization you can do with having an individual pedal for every thing. Like you can't change pedal order on those combo OD-Fuzz-distortion-boosts. But having never tried a multi-fx I won't speak on that.

But I have to disagree these aren't 'too cheap'. There are for sure a lot of amazon pedals I wouldn't fook with. But my $20 Behringer pedals from Sweetwater are some of my most solid pedals. It is annoying that they're plastic, but the switching mechanism seems to have more life I'd think than a metal switch. The boss switches are great. But I've noticed with my ds2 when I swap pedals in and out of the power supply or plug and unplug power supply it gets turned on which is annoying. I've never had any weird issues or problems with behringer and they're the cheapest period.

Top Bottom