Call me crazy, but man, it is hard to beat broken in G12T75s.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hefalump, Nov 2, 2016.

1. mikebat

mikebat Member

I have a g12-65 and g12-70 in my open back Marshall JCM800 combo and.....I have never had a bad thing said about them.

2. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

This may be true. The old JCM800 412 I've been playing for years at our practice space sounds awesome. We always thought they were greenbacks but were shocked to see GT75s in there when we took it apart. I've always hated those speakers in the past. Either they sound good because they are so broken in our it was a good quad from a good year.

3. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Hasty generalization here. I play at nothing but gig volumes with amps. Why bother otherwise? I don't find T75's pleasing. I know I'm not the only one. Ask Pete Thorn. Not his favorite either, but he only plays in his bedroom, right?

Washburnmemphis and rummy like this.
  4. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Everyone has their ears and opinions and favorites. Genre of music played can also change one's needs/taste in speakers. I CAN see why the G12T75 is the speaker of choice in Marshall's most popular cabs.

I turn the presence and treble way down to 9 O'clock on my Marshalls when playing through a G12T75 cab. Also I am using speakers that I have beaten on for a while....so they are well broken in. I think that makes a big difference too, just like with V30's.

5. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

They sound great in closed back cabs.

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  6. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

No, I totally get where you're coming from. Even with my creamback 65 or 75 cabs, I have my presence and treble on my Marshall down around 9:00 too. It just needs to be that way.

My objection was to Mr. Sleewell calling anyone who disagreed a bedroom player. That's just insulting and frankly not true. I spend more time playing live than playing at home.

Washburnmemphis, rummy and Hefalump like this.
  7. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I never cared for G12T75's with Marshalls. I find them too scooped in their voicing to bring those classic Marshall midrange qualities I like to hear.

To my ears they are for someone seeking a more modern type of Marshall sound eq - wise (mid- scooped, bottom heavy, thin top end) - not for the old school Marshall tones of the late 60's/early 70's - which is my benchmark.

8. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

Nailed It!

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Yeah, many versions apparently. I just got an old JCM800 cab with the original G12T75 speakers and they really dont sound much like a brand new version.

10. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Wow, just goes to show you how we hear things differently. I MUCH prefer them over the Greenbacks for anything I play through my Marshalls.

11. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

The BIG question is: is this due to construction changes, or break-in?????

12. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Supporting Member

Whatever works for you is best.
    I have a 412 with 75s that needs a bit of gas behind it to make them sing.
    Unfortunately, for me, that's much too loud for just about any venue short of an unmic'ed outdoor show.

Hefalump likes this.
  13. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

luv me some G12T-75s.

Hefalump likes this.
  14. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I like them too.

Hefalump likes this.
  15. gtr777

gtr777 Member

They have a purpose and a sound...I do find they sound better when you can push them as well and they do need some break in time. Last time Satriani came through the area I asked what his cabs were loaded with and he said the stock 75's. His tone doesn't suck...ha ha.

WhoJamFan and Hefalump like this.
  16. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Yep been preachn this since I found my cab with the wrong label and everything, thought I got G12-65's and opened it up and there they are 1st generation T75's. Sound nothing like current 75's

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  17. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

They evolved from the G12-65s originally. The earliest were rear vented and sounded very much like the 65s, followed by the non-drilled 75s with identical label but no vent. Then according to legend, Marshall wanted something from them that they didn't have and we have the T75 we know today. The 65 is rumoured as having gone through 13 stages of evolution and likely the 75 specs changed over time as well.
    [​IMG]

Hefalump likes this.
  18. rummy

rummy Member

Agreed. The second comment was ignorant and didn't contribute.

I prefer 65s over 75s.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  19. jpage

jpage Member

There is some truth to his statement however. I wouldn't want to have to guess but a very large percentage of the most vocal and opinionated here have never been on a stage or played at the volume their amps were meant for in their lives. Stock 1960 cabs sound horrible at Guitar Center 'I'm on the phone' levels...

Hefalump likes this.
  20. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

They are solid speakers for sure. All things being equal though I think a cab of well broken in V30s is the ideal speaker for guitar.

Hefalump likes this.