call me crazy but...

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by murph7489, May 9, 2016.

1. murph7489

murph7489 Member

I have an Ibanez bass SR 300dx its a cheap bass..price wise, but I love it. I get the best tone out of that thing, and last weekend I played a squire jazz bass and I know its not an MIA j bass, but man mine absolutely blows that away...the neck is way thinner and makes it easier to play but the tone is a thousand times better IMO...It does have active pups which I think are better for a bass guitar than an electric, personal taste...

But I don't think I would trade that for a fender bass ever ! even a legitimate Fender USA bass..weird how a bass that is worth about 200 bucks tops is so much better than other basses that cost way more...

got lucky with this one I guess...

edited for a pic of the bass...[​IMG]

2. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

I have the same one, I played and gigged it since 97. Sounded and played awesome, I never needed another bass. The active electronics crapped out recently and I replaced them with passive pickups, but it still plays just fine. I'm actually happy I don't have to deal with 9v anymore.

murph7489 likes this.
  3. Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan Member

I have an Ibanez EXB404 and I play it a lot. I've had it about 20 years or so and it just feels comfortable...

[​IMG]

4. murph7489

murph7489 Member

They are EMG but I'm NOT saying that definitively they are better than any fender, but I have played a J bass which was MIA and a Rick 4001, and my bass, I felt sounded better...but that is nothing more than a personal taste...theres no right or wrong here...but for me, I love the bass I have and that's all...I would love to find a newer one though. I think for me what makes the bass so good is the narrowness of the neck...I have heard that the Geddy Lee Fender J bass has a similar neck profile...which I would love to try...that bass does sound great...I will say I have never liked active pups in a electric guitar...just a bass...but I like to have treble in my sound, I roll the tone way towards the treble end of the spectrum...

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

It's all about preference. I threw Dunlop Super Brights on my Rickenbacker 4004, and it has ruined me for my Fender. The Fender just seems super dark now.

BTW, a bass is an "electric", unless it's a double bass.

[​IMG]

murph7489 likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

not luck at all, a mid-grade ibanez probably would "blow away" a cheap squier, especially if you were used to the typically very bass-boosted active ibanez tone.

no surprise there.

murph7489 likes this.
  7. jimfist

jimfist Member

Up until recently, I gigged almost exclusively for a year on cheap, beginner model, short scale Ibanez Mikro basses. They did the job fine, although there will be inevitable maintenance issues since the components are so cheap...but that's what you get for $175 brand new (with soft case).

8. soulohio

soulohio Member

the bass dont know how much it costs

Jack Keck likes this.
  9. Roger David

Roger David Supporting Member

Cost is not always the right indicator of sound and playability, yes I agree. Another example, My Silvertone bass, short scale, made out of formica (remember that?), lipstick covers and a tbar neck but engieered with these inexpensive materials so perfectly, probably cost $50 in 1968. It is one of the best sounding and playing basses I have ever played/owned...