Call me crazy....

matacus

Gold Supporting Member
...but I actually really like my stock Boss DS-1. I got one cheap and was going to mod it, but after messing with it I actually like it. Many have said it's too thin, too tinny, sounds like a buzz saw or swarm of bees. Yeah, it does if you run it through a clean amp. Run it through an already overdriven amp or stacked with an overdrive and that's where it shines.

Thoughts?

jordane93

You are not crazy. The stock DS-1 is a great pedal. Keep the tone around 9 to 10 o clock and gain to taste and you have a very capable distortion pedal.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I loved a MIJ DS1 I had. A little clearer than the recent ones. Sent it to Keeley for the SEM mod. Then sold it. I wanted it back the way it was.

tnipe

I have a MIJ DS-1 and ca 2000 taiwan DS-1. The taiwan one is actually my favourite! Been thinking about giving a modded one a new try, didn't bond with the Analogman one. Wouldn't mind giving it another try though. I've been using the DS-1 mostly with gain all the way down or to about 9 o'clock, just because I like the color. Doesn't work as well with the Matchless amps I'm playing now though.

shinksma

I like my stock DS-1. I think I got it in the 2000s, so it is probably not a MIJ (unless that store had lots of NOS!).

It works well for me straight into my HRDX if I play it that way, but also seems to work well with a TS-clone into the DS-1. I should try the DS-1 into a TS-clone...I have a Joyo Vintage OD and a Boss SD-1 - I wonder which will play better?

ArtDecade

Only on TGP would someone tell you that you are crazy for liking one of the best selling pedals of all time.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
What's not crazy is how many players are going to agree with the premise.
When I was just learning guitar, my dad took me into some Burbon St. Clubs will staying in NOLA for Jazz Fest (late 80's/pre hurricane) and besides seeing the blind Brian Lee change a guitar string on the fly mid-song, the only thing I remember was seeing an orange DS1 with gain off and level maxed.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
A stock DS1 into a clean amp never impressed me. In fact they sound pretty lame.

A stock DS1 into a something lie a JCM 800 that is breaking up... oh dear lord it is a fantastic sound! in fact its a 'classic' sound that's almost impossible to replace!

I-IV-V

Silver Supporting Member
I agree. I think a lot of people forget that Satriani and Vai, and many more for that matter, made a lot of money using the DS-1.

2HBStrat

Full disclosure.....you asked us to call you crazy so I complied, but the truth is that I have an unmodded DS-1 on my pedalboard, too.

Trending Topics