Callaham 2 7/32 string spacing vintage trem?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by deoreo, Jan 22, 2008.

1. deoreo

deoreo Member

Ok, in a search to find out who makes the widest string spaced trem, I ran across the Callaham Vintage S Model Bridge with 2 7/32 string spacing. Is that correct? That's like 56.4mm I thought most necks were only 55-56mm at the heel.

What am I missing :confused:

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

You're missing the math - Since the nut is narrower than the heel as you continue outwards - in this case toward the bridge - the section gets wider so on a standard 2-3/16" neck pocket the 2-7/32" saddle spacing will fall well within the fret edges provided they are not beveled too steeply. Fender's standard trem spacing is 2-7/32" and not 2-3/16" as is commonly thought.

3. deoreo

deoreo Member

Is the 2 7/32 a center E to e string measurement?

The reason I ask is I measured 3 of my guitars:
    (1) Tokai LS-120 (Les Paul clone):
    The last fret measures 56.35mm
    E to e strings at the saddles measures 50.49mm

(2) Kramer Stagemaster custom, with original Floyd trem:
    Last fret 56.8mm
    E to e at bridge 53.7mm

(3) Washburn G-23V with Washburn Wonderbar trem:
    Last fret 58mm
    E to e at bridge 54.5mm

This is why I thought a 56.4mm E to e string spacing seemed too wide for a 55.5mm wide neck heel.

I've also got to admit, I suck at math, that's why my day job is a photographer, and making music is my hobby :D

4. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Using the Callaham (or any other with that spacing I suppose) will make it real close at the heel. I have a USA Custom Strat with the Callaham and it's real close to being too close to the fretboard edges. The neck has to be at exactly the correct angle or one side will be too close...I have to apply pressure to the high-E side of the neck when installing the neck or the angle is not right and the high-E is too close to the edge. And even doing that I have to move the string inward a little bit on the saddle. IMO...that spacing is just a bit too wide and having it just a little more narrow would eliminate some potential problems and make it play better. But they were going for 'vintage correct' I think.

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

It is a shame that he does not drop it to 2 3/16". I will not use the current trem because if you try to roll the edge at all, you get pull off. Hopefully they read this stuff! I would love to use them on all my builds but cannot currently.

6. KLB

KLB Member

Callaham has a trem with 2-7/32 post spacing and 2-1/16 string spacing.

On the What's New page:

"V/N Model: This is a complete assembly that has vintage 2 7/32 (56mm) mounting spacing but with the narrow 2 1/16 string spacing. It will fit any body with vintage mounting. It is specifically for those who have the E strings too close to the edge of the fretboard or use humbucking pickups. Your strings will now be better positioned on the neck and line up over the poles of humbucking pickups."

$165.

7. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

That V/N model looks like the ticket...for people about to buy a new bridge. They still need to make a replacement saddle set such that it will give you that spacing without replacing the whole bridge. If they had the V/N available when I originally bought mine I would have opted for it...would have been a no-brainer. But they didn't and these things aren't cheap...I'm not buying another bridge from them just to get the spacing right (I don't really care what the original Strats were...I just want it right in 2008).

8. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Would the Callaham S model you originally spoke of work with a neck that was 1 11/16" @ the nut? Or would the taper be just a tad shallower so as to finish at the same width at the bridge? I have a build on the way and this is fairly crucial. Nothing worse than pulling the string off of the neck. D'oh :jo

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

since string spacing is determined by the bridgeplate and the block, that's not really possible if you want straight string pull.

10. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Yea I know Walter...but since I have to nudge the strings together on the saddles to get the spacing right there isn't a straight pull anyway. My low E-string is actually a bit too close to the edge and I could adjust the neck angle but then the high-E would be too close (and that's a much worse of two evils for me). Since I like to wrap the thumb over I don't mind the low E a bit too close but it's still not totally right. It's so close that just a nudge here and there is all it would take.