Callaham S model?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Guitar Slinger6, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I ordered a Callaham S model a few months ago. I got it with the new H/SRV specials, Alder body and rosewood neck. Anybody here have a Callaham S model? Is my wait going to worth it? How does it play and sound?

2. cholula69

cholula69 Supporting Member

I have a Callaham S model and it is worth the wait AND money. The neck plays smooth and it has an oil finish that looks 'played in' It is by far the smoothest playing guitar I own. I use to use a touch of reverb when I played and with the Callaham, I no longer need to. Let me know if you need additional information.

3. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I currently use a Fender Wildwood 10" CS 65' Relic Strat with John Cruz pups.Have you ever played one and if so how does it compare to the callaham?

4. cholula69

I have never played a Fender Wildwood. I have played some American Standards, American Deluxe models, Tokai, and Anderson. The Callaham hardware is superior, the neck does not have that sticky feel, and it rings louder when unplugged.

I posted a review on Harmony Central that can probably answer most of your questions. In summary, I waited over 39 months for the guitar, I was sort of expecting to be let down, I was not. There is something about this guitar that sounds like no other I have played in my life. The best way to describe it, for me, is it has a 'touch' of natural reverb in it. It is simply incredible.

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Well I owned one for about a week (maybe it was just a couple of days, I can't remember). The guitar was gorgeous, one of the, if not the finest vintage style strats I have played. The problem was the neck shape just wasn't for me. When I ordered the guitar I asked Bill if he could duplicate the Fender Japan 1960s RI necks - I love those necks - nice beefy C shape neck. He said no problem. Well a year and half goes by and it's time to build my guitar and now duplicating the Fender Japan neck would be sacrilege. He assures me I will like his neck shape. Well, I didn't.

I still think about ordering another one, but if I don't get a neck I'm happy with...

6. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

I have an "S" that kills. Way better than the real '64 "L" series that I used to own. Mine is a blonde maple over ash and I will never part with her.

I don't know anything about the new pickups.

The wait will be a frustrating, agonizing, hellish experience. But you'll love the guitar.

Frank

7. cholula69

What didn't you like about the neck shape? I originally wanted the '54 bat shape, big and beefy. I ended up with a '58 soft V, I think he calls it. While it's not my favorite it is very playable and the tone is killer. For what I am used to, the soft V feels a little thin in the hands. I am having a Tele built and this time I am definitely going with the '54 shape. I have a USACG fat back neck and this is ideal for me.

8. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

It felt narrow and the string spacing was such that the strings didn't seem to fall under my fingers. I ended up with the '60s flat round (what he calls a boat neck) but it was anything but a boat neck. I was really bummed as I loved the guitar, but the neck shape just didn't do it for me.

9. cholula69

Narrow as in not enough depth? I thought a boat neck is supposed to be about as thick as you could get around 1". hmm...that would bother me too. I had to take some time getting used to the neck I have, that's for sure, but it is fine.

Have you thought about ordering a body and neck from UASCG and having it finished and built? I have done a couple parts-guitars like this and I love them too.

I have been checking out the nitro finish thread on here but I am trying to find someone that specializes in finishing necks and bodies. Right now RS seems to be the most popular. I have an idea for strat project I would like to make.

10. Trebor Renkluaf

No, narrow as in not wide enough across the fret board. It was as if it was narrower than 1 5/8" at the nut. Actually, it wasn't but the shape of the neck - I assume really soft shoulders - made it feel that way. It just didn't fill out my hand the way I wanted it to - the way the Fender Japan '60s RI necks do - the way many vitnage strats I've played do.

11. cholula69

Ah, ok I see. I was thinking if the width of the neck was off, go back to guitar making 101. I noticed the shoulders are rolled off on my neck too, I made a small adjustment to playing style to compensate.

It is strange going back and forth between guitars though. The fat back neck made by USACG, that fills up my hands and I can get some good leverage for big bends. The V necks tend to make my thumb hurt after awhile that is why I go for the C shape.

12. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

It is shipping Monday, oh yeah!!!!

13. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

He's under two years on delivery? Actually 18-19 months based on when you started the thread. I thought it was 3 years plus. I wanted to pull the trigger on the one that was in the emporium recently.

What neck shape did you spec?

14. Psh511

Psh511 Member

Here is mine on the right...get excited they are great guitars....
    [​IMG]

15. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I ordered it in late December 2007, I posted about 3 months later. Under 2 year though, got my tracking number, should be here wednesday.

The specs were a standard c shape neck (I have been worried about that, I like a big neck), special wound pups, Alder/Rosewood with 6105s, and finished in Blue Ice.

16. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

That Maple headstock and neck is beautiful! What color is it, it's hard to tell on my screen?

17. Psh511

Psh511 Member

The color is burgandy mist and is actually a little darker than in the picture...I also had the 60's shaped neck and its very full and almost v shaped...they are great guitars

18. cholula69

I forgot about this thread. It will be cool to hear your impressions once you have had a chance to play it awhile.

Mine has settled in nicely and I am used to the neck now, a lot more so than when I first received it. The combination of the oil finish and a Maple neck make it look dirty real fast but it resonates nicely.

I tried the H/SRV pickups last summer and went back to the original. I found the extended bass response a bit too much for what I was playing.

Did you get the blender knob wiring? I have that and it is nice to be able to mix the the neck and bridge.

19. clint

clint Member

You're in for a treat! Those Fralins are some of the best sounding pickups I've ever heard and the necks feel great. Let us know your impressions when it arrives.

20. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I will definitely let everyone know my thoughts on it. I will try to do some clips with comps to the Wildwood 10" '65 CS, and maybe the D'Pergo. Should be fun.