Callaham Trem Blocks For Gotoh 1088s

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stan Malinowski, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Silver Supporting Member

I seem to remember a while back looking at the Callaham Website and seeing replacement trem blocks for the Gotoh 1088 and other such trems typically used on Suhrs and Andersons. A couple of days ago I decided to order one for one of my Suhr Classics but now seem to find nothing on their website about replacements for the Gotohs.

Was I imagining that I saw them at one time? Anyone know if they discontinued blocks for these models? I emailed them the other day but have not gotten a response back.

2. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Why would you put one on your suhr!? John already replaces the blocks with a steel block that is made custom for him. The block on your bridge is not a stock gotoh block. You would not get any benefit by changing blocks. this is why there is an upcharge on the 1088 bridge on suhrs, because they upgrade the block for you already!

3. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Stan,

I know Callaham used to make a block for the 1088 because I tried one on a Grosh I had. I don't know of you'd like it though, compared to the steel block Suhr uses. The Callaham isn't tapered, so you can't lower pitch as far before it hits the trem cavity, and the Callaham isn't drilled as deep so it changes the string tension, making the guitar play tighter. I ended up getting the steel block that Suhr uses (from Allparts) and putting that on the Grosh, and that worked better. Of course as with all things tone-related, YMMV :)

4. Stan Malinowski

Matt,

Here is the deal.....I don't think all the steel blocks in all Suhrs are created equal. I have 2 Suhr Classics, #1 a 2003 Sonic Blue and #2 a 2004 Fiesta Red. Both have the IDENTICAL specs including the 1088 trem option w/steel block.

But here is the problem:
    The have very different trem blocks.
    #1 has an unfinished metal block which greatly resembles the Callaham I have in my Fender CS Relic. In addition the ball ends of the string sit at the top of the holes in the trem block.
    #2 has a trem block painted black and the ball ends of the strings sit quite deep in the holes in the trem block.

I honostly prefer the tone and feel of #1 and would like #2 to play and sound the same as #1.

I had a converstaion with a large Suhr dealer who custom ordered #2 for me. His comment (don't know if he is right or wrong) was that John previously used Callaham blocks (like in my #1) but was now using an alternative manufacturer.

That's my story, long but true!

5. Stan Malinowski

Joe (fjs1962),

Was the trem block from All-Parts painted black?

BTW #1 is the Sonic Blue Suhr that I let you plat a while back.

6. fjs1962

Yes, the All-parts block was black. I've actually got 2 Suhr Classics now (both with 56 Big V maple necks, which I've discovered is my favorite neck) and they both have the black All-Parts Block.

The funny thing is I eventually went back to the zinc block in the Grosh guitars becuase they seemed to be more airy and vintage sounding with the zinc blocks. Don told me he voices his guitars with the zinc block in mind so I guess that is why?

7. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

well I would ask john about it-the black one is what I had on my 1088 and it sounded great. I doubt the block is what makes the difference between the 2 guitars though. The black one is still an all steel block, so I don't think the switch would make any real difference. I doubt suhr would have switched if he thought the sound suffered. I say save your money! That said, I do really like the callaham parts and they sound great as well. To really know you would have to A/B them on the same guitar.

8. Stan Malinowski

I agree that there probably is more than just the trem block differences which account for the differences in overall tone. But I would really have to believe the depth of the string placement in the trem block makes a substantial difference in playability.

If I find the Callaham 1088 block is no longer available then I really think I will play the "trem substitution game" and try to the "Callaham-inspired" trem from #1 in #2.

9. fjs1962

I definitely noticed a difference in string tension between the two blocks, and all other things were equal. I didn't find any difference in tension between the zinc block and the same shaped/depth block in steel, so I feel pretty confident the string depth in the block is what makes the difference in tension.

By the way Stan, your blue Suhr is a great guitar. If I could have played the C Huge carve you'd have never got it back! ;)

10. Stan Malinowski

Yeah, #1 (Sonic Blue) has a real mojo to it! Noticeably more resonant than #2 (Fiesta Red). Don't get me wrong, #2 is no slouch but the differences between the 2, both from tonal and playability standpoints, are noticeable. Would I ever get rid of #2? No way, acoustically you notice the differnece in resonance, but plug them into my Carr and both sound killer!

11. dazco

dazco Member

The difference in the 2 guitars is far more likely the perticular pieces of wood or something else besides the block. i would suggest before you waste time and money trying this to swap the bridges from #1 to 2 and visa versa. And then set them up the same as far as saddle height and anything else. I'm sure you'll find it's not the block thats causing you to prefer the one over the other.

12. Stan Malinowski

Well I just heard from Bill Callaham - they no longer make the trem blocks for the Gotoh or Fishman Trems. I guess that option has ben eliminated!

13. fenderick

fenderick Member

I'm a vintage guy. I go for a traditional tone. I tried the Callaham block they sound good. Then I tried a DeTemple Titanium block. Now all my strats have Titanium trem blocks. I have been playing for over 30 years & touring since the early 80's. Don’t waste your time & money. Titanium is the only way to go.

14. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I had the 1088 with the Callaham block, had a real nice tone for sure, and very smooth feel.
    I switched to the 6 screw Wilkinson with it's steel block. I have to say I prefer it all the way around.

Regarding Titanium, I would be VERY curious to hear before and after audio clips... anyone???

HJ
    www.harryj.net

15. cochese

cochese Member

I have the Callaham block in my old '74 Strat with a Fender reissue vintage bridge. This is the Strat I used for the Guytron MP3 clips a few years ago. It made a noted difference. Callaham no longer makes one for the 1088. I did try the Detemple titanium block with my Suhr with the 1088 and sent it back. To me the titanium was just brighter which was not the direction I wanted to go. It may create a bit more sustain if you listen to it unplugged but in a real world playing experience the difference was negligible. Your results may be different. Try it and see. Detemple will take it back less a restock fee.

I do have a Callaham block in an older Anderson that has a 1055 bridge with a zinc block and the Callaham gives more sustain and is a bit brighter. He no longer makes that block either.

I like the 1088 bridge. I may try it with those Raw Vintage saddles. I like the Fender 6 screw bridge as well though the trem does not work as smoothly as the 1088. They both sound great just different. To me that's why I have different guitars.

16. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Reviving this from the dead.

Does anyone know of a full size steel replacement block for the (two post) 1088 in my Suhr Classic? I wish Callaham still made them. Not sure if I want to go DeTemple Ti? The current block is black narrow and tapered.

I recently replaced the two vintage 6 screw bridges in my Suhr Antiques with Callaham V/N from the recomendation of Matt M and really like them. I wish for my first Classic I wans't talked into the bridge from the dealer I bought it from.

Thanks!!

17. Sean

Sean Member

I bet Callaham will make the block for you- you'll just have to pay way too much for it. Somewhere on their website there is a "call for custom quote" for one off things. Can't hurt to call.

18. wes37

wes37 Member

I just pulled my Callaham block out of my Anderson Drop Top. Not entirely sure the bridge is a Gotoh 1088, but I think it is. I'd be willing to let it go for $50

19. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Is there a way you could find out from Anderson? Is it on the spec sheet? I'd greatly appreciate it! If so, I'd be interested.

20. LReese

LReese Member

I just went through this - best choice for me was to have Suhr mod ( Ii had a 1055) to a 510. Now as to how it sounds still don't know....

Its on the way back - Woo Hoo!!!!!! Thursday is the day.