Callaham upgrade kit for American Standard Strat: worth it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Griz, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Griz

Griz Member

2. s2khawk

s2khawk Member

I've got Calli bridges on the jap strat and custom US tele and it made a difference to me, chime, volume, clarity--more of everything. However, don't just change the saddles go for the whole bridge or don't bother. Personally, it actually did make more of a difference than a pup change. like the ad says.

3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yes, I have that package for a 2006 Am Se Strat. Block, saddles and trem arm. The guitar evidently outperforms its twin (same exact model guitar, stock saddles and block). I don't know whether it would make sense to find a 2008 Am Std non offset bridge plate and build your bridge assembly around that, I have not tried that.

I've got these same, offset bent style saddles affixed on a 2006 Am Se Tele, and there these saddles outperform the sintered steel ones as well.

However, I will say that other Callaham upgrades, when applied to, for example, a 2004 MIM Std. FSR, produce results that make you giggle and holler; this upgrade is not on plane as high as that, but they are the best upgrade to that model I know of.

4. Griz

Griz Member

I suppose another way to go would be to see whether the new Fender Standard series tremolo is available as an aftermarket upgrade (if it fits a 90's American Standard series Strat). I haven't checked whether the fulcrum studs have the same spacing on the new guitars.