• Please use the following thread to discuss any bugs, issues, or feature requests related to the forum software upgrade.

Click here for Thread

Callahm Vintage vs. Fender Vintage tremolo

Pat Healy

the precision of the Callaham is better (the countersinking of the screw mount holes), as is the production methods and materials. the Fender one is ok - this is one of those things where I'd really like to see a large number of people hear the difference. The Callaham has some advantages due to the materials and precision that help with tuning stability with vibrato use. And the virtual arms feel better to me since there is less play in the arm.
+1 on all of that. The most noticeable advantage is that there is virtually no play in the Callaham's arm.

WahmBoomAh

World Crass Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
the callaham is dead-on usa vintage strat specs size-wise. (just nicer all the way around, from the saddles to the trem arm.)
thanks...always wondered ..and I have a Callaham trem too and love it

markj

I have a Callaham trem block and saddles I have yet to install. I have to say that all the components look to be of ulta high quality and finish.

The hardened mount screws are actually my #1 favorite Callaham Strat mod. Then the block/arm assembly, then the saddles. 5.25 inch arm, the intermediate length.

mattmccloskey

Supporting Member
I have two of the Callaham "vintage narrow" models- same exact bridge and mounting as the standard but the string spread is 2 1/16th.
I love them- everything great about a vintage bridge but hardier materials, no arm wiggle, and the strings stay on the board easier.

I guess I'm the only one that likes the arm wiggle. Just reminds me of those old strats I've played as that's what they did. I know it's not better functionally, but what does it hurt? Still works great. That wiggle lets it hang real loose and swing out of the way nice and easy. I'm sure the Callaham is great, I just never had a problem with the Fender.

mattmccloskey

Supporting Member
I guess I'm the only one that likes the arm wiggle. Just reminds me of those old strats I've played as that's what they did. I know it's not better functionally, but what does it hurt? Still works great. That wiggle lets it hang real loose and swing out of the way nice and easy. I'm sure the Callaham is great, I just never had a problem with the Fender.
I always hated the wiggle, but if you like it I can't argue with that!

I do find the fender saddles move up and down easier than the cally. I find on a fender bridge I lose my action settings after a few string changes and some gig time.

Overall, I don't mind the fender bridge too much, it does have a good sound and with a good set-up and some TLC it can play well. I just prefer the tighter tolerances and lower maintenance of the callaham.

Trending Topics