Calling All Deadheads: CAE Sound CB1?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SkatePunk, Mar 6, 2006.

1. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

By any chance, has anyone tried CAE Sound's CB1 (unity gain buffer preamp)? This is a replica of what John Cutler developed for Jerry's guitars. I'm looking for extended highs and preserving signal through my effects chain.

Here's the URL: http://www.caesound.com/cgi-bin/cae/info?bufPreamp

Cheers,
    McE

2. BrianB

BrianB Supporting Member

I'll resist talking about my own pedal (link below ;)) Although I've never tried the CB1 I think he first started using one in '77 with his Travis Bean. Before that with Alligator and Wolf I believe he was using a Stratoblaster, which is still sold by Alembic as a drop-in for Strat style guitars. I've built a similar circuit to the Stratoblaster just to try out and it actually does what you describe, while at the same time giving the sound a little more edge. I would assume, that the CB1, being IC based and more modern – relatively – performs a similar function while at the same time being more clear, reflected in Jerry's cleaner sound into '77 I'd say. Hope that helps.

3. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

BrainB - I already bought your pedal yesterday! You even sent me an acknowledgement and notification of the wait time. :)

Thanks for the information, it does help. BTW, if I were to use the Morning Dew with another buffer like the CB1, would this cause problems?

Cheers,
    McE

4. msp

msp Member

I can't speak for brian's morning dew (though i really really want one!!) i can say that you should have no problems useing severall buffers in a pedal chain as long as they are quality buffers used with quality cables

i go right into a buffered eq (sansamp paradriver di) through a few gain, compression, octave, wha and filter effects then i buffer my signal again through a goodrich ldr2 vol pedal then another gain, modulation, and delay effects then to my amp

using a mix of buffered effects and true/bypassed effects is recomended.....meaning, while using only poorly buffered effects will diminish the natural tone of your guitar.....using too many high quality true-bypassed effects without any buffers will allso corrupt the natural tone of your pickups as well

just a thought but i'm sure that brian has a much more informative answer for us

5. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

msp - Thanks! I appreciate the insight.

6. msp

msp Member

oh yeah.....i read something on steve kimock's website a couple of weeks back

he mentions that he has a guitar that has an output that right after the pickups that goes to several effects (compression and mutron III and who knows what else) then backinto the guitar and through the guitars preamp (probably the one mentioned by brian)

kimock explained that this setup was verry similar to the one that jerry eventually settled with as well

7. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

Someone from CAE was telling me that Steve Kimock had demo'ed and loved the CB1. Maybe he went for the entire effects-loop-in-the-guitar thing that Jerry had. I'll have to check out his site. Thanks again!

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

i could be wrong, but i thought that jerry's setup was:

pickups -> buffer -> output to various pedals (definitely Mutron & some gain) -> back to guitar -> guitar's tone and volume controls -> back out to more effects? -> on to preamp & amp

i think it's a neat idea to be able to slide very output sensitive devices like the mutron between the pickups and the guitar volume, so you always have a consistent level hitting the effect. never got around to trying this, though. closest i came was a dan armstrong red ranger on full boost plugged right in to the guitar body. but i guess that was just a boost, not a buffer.

9. einstein

einstein Member

i have a guitar player mag from78 that explains all this as well as all effects maybe i could scan it and post it. dont know how but i got all the equipment to do it just never have. his guitar has 2 outputs so he can bypass all effects from the guitar stereo cord.

10. BrianB

BrianB Supporting Member

Haha, that's too funny :D As msp said, it really can't hurt having multiple high-quality buffers, although the CB1 and the Dew might be a little redundant the CB1 might give you more of the tone shift you're after. You can always turn the buffer in the Dew off, in favor of one directly in your guitar. einstein, I have that article too, and I'd even refrence it right now if it wasn't packed away for the move I'm about to make...

11. entraind

entraind Member

Just as you guys were sayiing, Garcia sent his signal to his effects loop which was then returned to the guitar so his effects saw the same signal level but he could turn up and down volume and tone on the guitar without changing the signal the effects were getting. He had a toggle switch on his guitars that bypassed the effects loop entirely when he wanted a clean sound. In later years he had each effect in a loop with a volume pedal so he could blend in different amounts of each effect as desired. His signal went into a blackface twin then to a macintosh 2300 poweramp and then to his speakers...

This website is a pretty good resource for info on his gear and includes a wiring schematic for his effects loop: http://www.dozin.com/jers/rig.html

CAE makes incredible stuff and are great people to boot. They do great work on vintage effects as well....

12. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

+1

BTW, I had the option of including a UGB in my new guitar "Dark Star" but decided against it - with buffered pedals I don't need one in my axe (not that I use super long cables anyways).

[​IMG]

13. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I'm blown away that two people on this thread have easy access to an issue of GP from '78! Sometimes I kick myself for throwing them away.

Jon - Wow, Dark Star is a beauty!

Taking my Groove Tubes Soul-o 75 to CAE Sound for repairs is what kicked off this thread. While discussing what needed to be fixed, I was invited to try the CB1 and a new variation they have in the works. I'm a little hesitant to mod my guitars with active electronics. So, I appreciate all the information and feedback.

BTW, on its own the Soul-o 75's Clean channel can get close to a signature Jerry tone. After all, he used a GT Trio which shares two of its channels with the Soul-o. What's missing is the hi-fi, crystaline clarity with a touch of drive.

14. waveydb

waveydb Supporting Member

EMG makes the JG-2 which works well for this....

15. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

I can't find any information on their website. Do you think it is more likely brand new or discontinued?

16. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member