1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Calling All Flamencos! edit: NFlGD!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BadHat, Feb 5, 2019.

1. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk Silver Supporting Member

Grisha Goryachov is highly accomplished technically, and plays PdL covers very well indeed. However, in my mind he is a "Flamenco stylist" (kind of like a really good hairdresser), rather than a Flamenco guitarist....

Both of them started very, very young, and made their hands early on, but Paco grew up in a Flamenco family and accompanied many, many singers and dancers in his teens (he was a featured performer in Jose Greco's company in his early teens, if not before...)

Grisha seems to play mostly in waltz time (6/8), without many of the compas nuances of the Gitanos (that I hear) in his playing (6/8,3/4) with no hemiola, and few real "remates" (resolution phrases) (or if they are any, they are very unconvincing to me as Flamenco (i.e., they don't have evocative power - the "beautiful" music just washes over me until I go to sleep in the bathtub). Grisha is not the only one, so are the guitarists he emulates (Manolo Sanlucar, Vicente Amigo, et. al.)

To me it means he has no commitment to the tradition that is the foundation of Flamenco, which granted, is not very marketable, since the cante jondo often is "life's a bitch and then you die" .. Nevertheless, Flamencos also have a sense of humor in their falsetas (Diego especially) and I only see "attempted communication with the gods" in Grisha's toque.... He needs more reverb.. :)

He certainly is capable technically (he is of Russian descent, so I have to give a LOT of credit for loving his perspective of Flamenco to begin with), but he has a different "angel", and to me it is not very Flamenco, even though he can cover modern artists (who are not all that Flamenco either). Just be aware that there are highly valued alternatives in the Flamenco world ....

Danny Staffler (a fine Flamenco guitarist from Santa Cruz who showed me my first Diego del Gastor falsetas before I finally got over to meet him myself) once told me "there are musicians that play (at) Flamenco, and then there are Flamencos that play guitar"....) Some guitarists (myself included) think that PdL went from being a first rate Flamenco guitarist (e.g., his first 45 "Paco de Algeciras", "El Flamenco De La Guitarra de Paco de Lucia", "Fuente y Caudal") to being a third rate jazz musician - I stopped listening after "Almoraima", myself... except for snatches to convince me that I wouldn't have to start listening again....

(Caveat - I also got on the PdL track until I realized it was not my own "angel" and reverted back to the toque Gitano that I really love myself... and am concentrating on from here on out until I too get hit by a truck... and singing a lot more these days)

However, Grisha seems to have made an intelligent choice as a professional guitarist - to be a professional guitarist concentrating on his type of music, rather than playing in bars in Jerez for gypsies... More power to him!! And he has great technique, if you like that sort of thing.... (I would say "shredding", but that is more like Carlos Montoya... :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    BadHat likes this.
  2. Picarón

Picarón Member

3. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk Silver Supporting Member

I just remembered Brook Zern's unforgettable attempt at creating an American letra por Siguiriyas: "They are building a shopping mall over the grave of my mother" …. :)

4. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

5. dazco

dazco Member

Have you considered the saddle material? You may get a much crispier sound if the saddle is a soft plastic or such and you replace it with a harder material.