Calling all Flanger users, help??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Feb 26, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I have never had a flanger but lately thought I would like to get a good one. What are some of the good flangers out there?? I am interested in a quality analog type of flanger. Any suggestions??

2. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Paradox TZF is the shizzle... need to be a rocket scientist though. Not a Flange tone you can't find in there!
    GG

3. Python

Python Member

I have the Paradox TZF and absolutely love it.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

A/DA Flanger... (thanks again, BrewBeck!)

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

What he said.

6. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Are they still making the ADA? Is there a reissue available?

7. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

The biggest problem with flangers is noise. The Arion SFL-1 and Ibanez ToneLock both have a nice organic richness but they both are pretty noisy. MXR sounds a little muddy. Maxon FL-9 is the quietest of the small box flangers but is kind of sterile sounding. My favorite is the Maxon FL-301. Has a little noise on one end of the sweep but adds a certain pizazz that is really nice.

I didn't want to waste the huge footprint of TZF and ADA for flanging. Although the TZF makes a really great chorus too.

Looking forward to trying out the new DreamTone Flanger.

John

8. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Vintage? A red Ross Flanger, be sure it says, "made in Chanute, KS."
    Modern? TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger
    Cheap? Arion
    Boutique? I really don't know. I'm satisfied with my Ross.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The A/DA also does wonderful chorus tones... To answer another question, no, it's no longer in production and A/DA's '90s reissues were as excellent as the originals.
    And a +1 on the t.c. electronic if priority chorus over flanger, i.e., it's flanger mode is very musical, and a fine addition to an excellent pedal even if not the main focus - the flange is not as extreme as some others designs...

10. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Maybe check out the MXR reissue... I love the old one & it is one of my favorite chorus pedals too :p

11. Madsman

Madsman Member

I have the A/DA and Maxon, and have an Arion for sale on the emporium. I've also had 2 Boss Flangers. I am retiring the A/DA for now, but putting it on a shelf. The Maxon does what I need/want, and is true bypass.

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Right on... Haven't tried the Maxon, but dig many of their pedals. Bet there are sound clips here: http://maxonfx.com/

(BTW, the uber-talented Ron Neely/RonSound modded my A/DA for true-bypass - ronsound.com)

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I haven't used a flanger in years. I thought it was a kind of cool effect at the time. The last time I regularly used one was in the late 70's or early 80's when it was REQUIRED for the band I was in from about 78 till 82. I bought a MXR flanger then, still have it (Can't remember when or where I bought it - to be completely honest, can't remember too much of that five year period - oh, those were the days!). My 15 year old son has been dragging out a lot of my old kit lately, and he really enjoys this (and a few other pedals of that era - he is a far better guitar player at 15 then I was- or am to this day).
    Anyway, I dug it out tonight after reading this thread and, with some restraint, it is a beautiful thing.