1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Flanger users, help??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Feb 26, 2006.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I have never had a flanger but lately thought I would like to get a good one. What are some of the good flangers out there?? I am interested in a quality analog type of flanger. Any suggestions??

2. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

Paradox TZF is the shizzle... need to be a rocket scientist though. Not a Flange tone you can't find in there!
    GG

3. Python

Python Member

I have the Paradox TZF and absolutely love it.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

A/DA Flanger... (thanks again, BrewBeck!)

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

What he said.

6. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Are they still making the ADA? Is there a reissue available?

7. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

The biggest problem with flangers is noise. The Arion SFL-1 and Ibanez ToneLock both have a nice organic richness but they both are pretty noisy. MXR sounds a little muddy. Maxon FL-9 is the quietest of the small box flangers but is kind of sterile sounding. My favorite is the Maxon FL-301. Has a little noise on one end of the sweep but adds a certain pizazz that is really nice.

I didn't want to waste the huge footprint of TZF and ADA for flanging. Although the TZF makes a really great chorus too.

Looking forward to trying out the new DreamTone Flanger.

John

8. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

Vintage? A red Ross Flanger, be sure it says, "made in Chanute, KS."
    Modern? TC Electronics Chorus/Flanger
    Cheap? Arion
    Boutique? I really don't know. I'm satisfied with my Ross.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The A/DA also does wonderful chorus tones... To answer another question, no, it's no longer in production and A/DA's '90s reissues were as excellent as the originals.
    And a +1 on the t.c. electronic if priority chorus over flanger, i.e., it's flanger mode is very musical, and a fine addition to an excellent pedal even if not the main focus - the flange is not as extreme as some others designs...

10. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Maybe check out the MXR reissue... I love the old one & it is one of my favorite chorus pedals too :p

11. Madsman

Madsman Member

I have the A/DA and Maxon, and have an Arion for sale on the emporium. I've also had 2 Boss Flangers. I am retiring the A/DA for now, but putting it on a shelf. The Maxon does what I need/want, and is true bypass.

12. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Right on... Haven't tried the Maxon, but dig many of their pedals. Bet there are sound clips here: http://maxonfx.com/

(BTW, the uber-talented Ron Neely/RonSound modded my A/DA for true-bypass - ronsound.com)

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I haven't used a flanger in years. I thought it was a kind of cool effect at the time. The last time I regularly used one was in the late 70's or early 80's when it was REQUIRED for the band I was in from about 78 till 82. I bought a MXR flanger then, still have it (Can't remember when or where I bought it - to be completely honest, can't remember too much of that five year period - oh, those were the days!). My 15 year old son has been dragging out a lot of my old kit lately, and he really enjoys this (and a few other pedals of that era - he is a far better guitar player at 15 then I was- or am to this day).
    Anyway, I dug it out tonight after reading this thread and, with some restraint, it is a beautiful thing.