Calling all GVCG owners...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by skeeterbuck, Oct 18, 2005.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I have heard nothing but great things about GVCG and Johanthan's work.

So....

Tell me about your GVCG and be specific, and if you had one and got rid of it ...why?

2. prsflame

prsflame Member

I am the proud owner of the 63 "Dirty Olympic white" Strat Replica that is pictured on the site.I t is hands down the best sounding strat in my stable. It Looks, feels, and sounds like an old guitar. The neck is the most comfortable, best feeling neck I've ever experienced on a strat. The only mod I made to it, was to have my tech replace the 3 way with a 5 way. I no longer lust for other Strats......this guitar is the one for me.!

I just sold my GVCG 63 LPB Tele replica to a fellow TGPR. It was an amazing Tele, but I'm just not a Tele player, and was overtaken by GAS when I ordered it.

3. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Hey Prsflame,

Sounds nice. I am currently working on getting a "T" model that is similar the the '60 slab that is listed on website directly above yours. I has a compound radius fretboard 7.25 to 9.5 and weighs in at 5 lbs. 15 ozs. According to Jonathan it's the lightest "T" he has ever made. Its schedules to arrive by the weekend.:cool:

4. CNP

CNP Member

Hey, skeeterbuck-- proud owner of 3 GVCG's here. The "Ultimate '55" Tele, a '57 Tele, and a '54 Strat. Been playing for 20 years, and these are the "best" guitars I've ever owned. There's just no better Fender type guitar in my opinion (haven't played a Lentz, tho). Jonathan works some kind of magic into his guitars-- they're all just magnificent, the necks especially. My Ultimate '55 was the first, then I found the other two. I didn't think it was possible, but I like the other two just as much. They play, feel and sound fantastic-- I truly look forward to playing each of them at the end of the day. Hard to explain, but no other guitars I've played have felt so substantial and "organic". I've sold all my other guitars and don't miss them a bit. Check out my review of the Ultimate '55 in the Reviews section for some detail.

5. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I bought the first Inca pictured on the site ( w/ the Princeton ) and it was MAGICAL. Times got tough and I had to sell a bunch of gear and sold that Inca to Glenn Pearce ( aka Stealth on TGP ). He loves it - there's NO WAY he's selling it back. An absolutely KILLER

I NEVER should have sold that tele. Several of my friends played it and ordered one soon after. It is a GREAT GREAT guitar

The GOOD news is I have a blonde T style on order - and I pray DAILY that its as good as that Inca

The BAD news is it's not ready yet ( I was told by "the holidays"...hhmmm I just realized I was never told WHICH Holidays..damn )

I'm gonna sit by the door:rolleyes:

6. drjoel

drjoel Silver Supporting Member

i have a '55 blond tele w/ hamels and a '63 sunburst strat w/ lollars. they are both magical guitars. i have played many high $$$$$$$ vintage fenders that i would not choose over a GVCG. plus they look really really cool.

7. Docgab

Docgab Member

Blonde '59 T Slab with Hamels, bought on TGP about a month ago. Without doubt my favorite guitar. I have been playing for over 15 years and have owned many high end guitars. I will probably be buried with this one.

The problem is now I want a GVCG S type guitar... lol

8. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Is there a website for these guitars?

-Mark

9. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

10. fyler

fyler Member

that hand tooled pine guitar is my favorite. i'm sure the price is way, way out of my league.

11. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Esquire here.....nice beefy neck, big frets. Jonathan does some very nice work.

[​IMG]

12. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Pretty wild fullerplast!

I can really appreciate Jonathan's attention to detail. I like the way that your Esquire has the outline around the bridge plate showing where the "ashtray" bridge cover would have been. I am partial to "T" models. His "relic work appears to be more credible that the Fender Custom Shop models. I have also heard that his setup work is second to none. Here is a link to the one I'm waiting on.

http://www.songsofjonathanwilson.com/ultimate60.htm

13. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

I've got the 1950 NAMM-O-RAMA.

Looks old.

Feels old.

Smells old.

Sounds like a choir.

[​IMG]

14. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

you guys are KILLING those of us WAITING for our GCVGs to arrive !!

It's like a BIG TEASE !!!!

Sonnuva...

15. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Hey George,

Is that the one with the pine body? How would you say it differs from ash or alder?

I have always thought that the esquires were cool in the way that if you use the ashtray bridge cover, the pickup is hidden. Makes you think that the sound from the strings is picked up by some type of magic.:cool:

The other neat thing is the wiring on them with the one position wired directly to the output jack bypasing the controls.

Danocaster.... but what a way to die:D

16. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Umm, why is there slotted and phillips head screws on that blonde esquire? Is that period correct?

17. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Yea pokey,

I think that is correct. I believe that this was the time period when Fender was changing over from slotted head screws to philips head screws. As Leo was not a man to waste anything, the slotted screws would be used until gone.

It is my understanding that Jonathan is a fanatic about these details. If you look on his website he even ages the control cavity and uses period correct caps. I would bet that he has seen original examples that reflect this combination.;)

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

That's the way my real '52 is also, so yes, I think it is period correct.

19. fyler

fyler Member

this is the pine tele..
    [​IMG]

20. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

Mine is actually Oak.

Quoting Jonathan...
    "It's built around a lightweight 1 piece vintage Oak body, this wood was over 50 years old,
    it's dry, dense and highly resonant. It reminds me a lot of ash in it's sonic character,
    with perhaps a more dense midrange, and a very tight bottom end. It is meatier than Pine,
    and not as dark as Alder."

The tone of this guitar is truly something to behold.
    Through the Constellation it sounds like angels. Really.