Calling All Peavey Wolfgang Owners!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fridgit, Jun 24, 2008.

1. fridgit

fridgit Member

I've just received my 1st ever Peavey Wolfgang Special (USA) today! I've been playing it straight through my 5153 and can't believe what I'm hearing!!!

I always thought Eddie was full of it when he said that he didn't use a lot of gain or a boost/overdrive pedal. Now I know it's the flippin' pickups!!! Man these things sound great!!! Full rich harmonics, full sounding, warm and just the right amount of brightness.

Question: When I turn down the volume on the guitar, the sound gets a little muddy, is this normal for these pups? I'm not really looking to clean up the sound completely (as I know these pickups won't).

Also, are these pickups available from Peavey? I am looking to possibly replace my Pearly Gates+ in my Strat. Also, what single coils would compliment this (EVH) pup? (I currently have Texas Specials)

Thanks a million!!!!

2. fridgit

fridgit Member

Any Wolfie owners?

3. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

Former Wolfie owner... I never should've sold it.

The pups are on ebay all the time, and yes, they rock.

4. dkals

dkals Member

Would they be listed as peavey pick ups or EVH pick ups?

5. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Sorry but high gain is not my thing anymore. Sold my Wolfgangs and my 5150 Combo and have never looked back. I do however think that high gain pups are best for basswood guitars. If it's working for you, enjoy it! :JAM

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a black, basswood one since nearly new. I don't actually use it for high gain: I'm plugged into the same pedalboard and Vox AC30 I use my Gretsches with. Most pickups lose a little high end when you roll them back. With the Zendrive and AC30, I've got all the treble I need so it's not a problem. I usually use the middle setting for rhythm, bridge for leads and neck for more bluesy stuff. It's definitely a warm guitar compared to Jacksons and even PRSi, which tend to have a bit more high/low and leave the middle a bit alone. A good setup makes an incredible difference...

7. fishlog

fishlog Member

Sold mine as well- But before I did I pulled out the neck pup and replaced it with a 59 PAF from Seymore Duncan (my Over the top OD days are over too). At any rate I sold the PUP on eBay and if I remember right got over a $100 dollars for it. Be careful what guitar you buy one for as I believe there is no way to adjust the height on these bad boys...

8. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I used to have a hard tail model. I ended up putting a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge position and an Alnico II Pro in the neck. That was really a great combination.

9. rocktuna

rocktuna Member

How do you set up your amp?
    I find that my Wolfie sounds best with the bass right up, the treble about 7 or 8 and the mids low (zero to about 4 depending on which amp I'm using). Then when you turn the pup volume down it doesn't seem to get muddy. Another way is to is to set your amp up with your guitar volume at the lower point. (I usually set it about 8) and then when you turn up your guitar volume for leads ect. it screams.

These are by far my favorite guitar ever. Been playing them exclusivly for over 10 years.

10. fridgit

fridgit Member

Sorry it took me so long to get back, thanks to everyone for the replies.

Once I start turning the volume knob down, and it hits 8, on the bridge pup, it gets muddy/bassy and sounds like a neck pup w/ the tone turned all the way down! Do I have different pups in my Wolfie maybe?

Also, my Classic '57+ in my LP is a pretty hot pup, and cleans up without getting muddy. Even my '57 Classic in the neck doesn't muddy up when the volume is rolled down.

Does the Wolfie muddy up because it's a high gain pup? Is there a difference between high gain pups and hot/hotter pups, or does it mean the same? (I do understand that teh '57s are voiced brighter - not as much bass or mids/low mids, right?)

11. mlongano

mlongano Member

12. The Rossness

The Rossness Supporting Member

I have a wolfgang special and a music man axis. I have a gibson 500t in the bridge of my wolfie. The pu's on the axis are basically DiMarzio Tone Zone B & Air norton N. I played a 5153 with my axis and it screamed tone!

13. tone slave

tone slave Member

I had a Wolfgang USA carved top w/ stoptail, and I loved that guitar. Still probably my favorite neck on any guitar. I did not, however, like the pickups-- too hot and bright for my ears. I ended up going with a Dimarzio Air Zone in the bridge and a Dimarzio Bluesbucker (?) in the neck-- the one that is voiced to sound like a P90. That combination worked a lot better for me. I eventually sold the guitar to help finance my Bogner purchase, but of all the things I sold to get that amp, I miss the Wolfgang the most.

14. papersoul

papersoul Member

Yes, I used to have a Wolfgang Standard and miss it! The neck was unreal. However, since then...I find the Specials with the Flame Top to be the better sounding Wolfgang. The specials(USA) seem to have better clarity than the Standards for some reason! I am now thinking of getting rid of one of my Les Pauls for a Wolf flame top special with Floyd!

15. blood5150

blood5150 Member

Here is my Wolfgang Standard Archtop...with rosewood FB....

I think that the tone does get a little darker as you roll down the volume knob.... but I kind of like the effect...

For high gain sounds I use a Peavey 5150II with the Bass at 7.5, mids at 5.5 and the treble at 6.5....nice full tone...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. bullet69

bullet69 Member

one of my biggest regrets was selling my wolfgang. Best neck I have ever laid my hands on. only guitar I ever bought that was set up perfect right out of the box I never had to make one adjustment.

17. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

Gorgeous guitar. Love the color and the grain...