Calling all Pete Cornish Pedal users past and present

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarBrent, Sep 20, 2006.

1. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Now that much of the Pete Cornish pedal hype has died down a bit, I was wondering about his pedal users opinions now. Are they worth the serious coin they command? I've been back and forth on purchasing all 4 of his distortion units over the last 3-4 years, ever since reading about him in the GP mag covering the P-2. I've seen them pop up used from time to time, and was wondering why people paid so much and then unloaded them. Did they not live up to the hype? Also when integrated with other, non-Cornish pedals, did the Cornish buffer enhance or detract from those pedals (such as other fuzzes)? Can't play them where I live (Richmond, VA), so hard to know if they would work for me, but they do look intriguing and the few sound bytes I've heard here and on the web do sound very good.

2. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

I have an SS-2/ G-2 Duplex and a P-2 and I really like them. I generally prefer getting OD and distortion from the amp and use pedals more as an actual effected tone, but I think these pedals are much more of an extension of the amp than any other pedals I've found.

Are they worth the money-hard to say. They are pretty pricey, but I find most pedals I buy not to be worth the 1 or 2 hundred bucks they cost because they just don't sound very good to me and usually make a great sounding amp sound more like a new, cheap, off the shelf amp. That only works for me if I want a specific crappy sounding part that works with the song. If I want "tone", I wont use those. I don't consider the Cornish pedals to be in that category so I think they're worth the price.

I also use them for buffering my signal chain although I keep the fuzz and wa pedals before the buffer. As a buffer, it seems to behave the same as any other high quality buffer and doesn't degrade the sound as far as I can tell.

3. michael_smurphy

michael_smurphy Member

I have PC's P2, G2, SS2, TES, Line Driver Mute, and Super chorus..

The reason to buy PC pedals is to me is you are a live player wanting a hassell free, noiseless pedals board, thats sounds like it should.

I would say theyre are other pedals of equal tonal options from great modern "boutique" makers like Way Huge, Demeter, Analogue Man, Keely, Xoctic, Durham, Sobbat, Fulltone and last but certainly not least Blackstone.

I dont think you should expect some sonic nirvana with Petes gear each pedal is voices a little differently and has its use.

The real thing with Pete's gear is you gear great high gain (or low gain tones) from pedals which are more like preamps, without his or hum or, RF noise from poor stage power or lighting.

Some guys wanna try it IMO, and then sell it as they cant justify the price in a home rig, makes sense to me, most pros who have them dont sell them.

In summary it makes for an expensive hobby or quality tools for a touring/studio/live player.

Cheers
    MS

4. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I'm very comfortable with my G-2. The SS-3 and p-2 are very nice also, but i would rather buy something else like an old Foxx pedal (Ss-3 pedal is useful, though). The NG-2 is a lot of fun... possibly not for everyday use , but a very silly pedal. His boosts are great, and really neutral, which can be good or bad, depending or your view on boosts.
    The Buffer is at worst neutral with other pedals, and at best picks them up a bit.
    I'm probably the wrong person to comment on pedals. I don't really like them much, so when i get fastened on something i like i just continue to use it forever (unlike amps, which i change like underwear).
    They sound good at home (where i usually play), but really sound fantastic when played out, and i'ver never had them not work or make extraneous noise above my basic amp/guitar guitar level unless i messed something up with the patch cables.... which i do at every opportunity, so I've got on the list for one of his boards.
    I would suggest buying a G-2 used , see if you like it, and go from there. I wouldn't exactly call PC stuff "hype" as he's been around for 40 years or so.

5. BountyHuntr

BountyHuntr Member

I had the G2... mushiest flabbiest piece of crap I've owned and fedback constantly... BUT, in fairness part of that could have been my whole set up that it was not compatible with. They probably do sound good in the right situation but I won't spend the $$$ again to find out.

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

What I meant by hype was the post GP mag review from a few years ago that let everyone know (well me know anyway) that he didn't just make stuff for rock stars. He got US dealers, and I've read countless posts on his stuff over the last few years. I only remember hearing his name by the likes of Gilmour, McCartney, and May before that.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I'll be buried with my TB83-Extra :) Pair it up woth an AC30 and it cannot be beat!!

8. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I have an SS-3, and just sold a G-2. I love Cornish stuff.

I kept the SS because I was using it more, and has a better feel to me. The G-2 was kinda fatter, but wasn't as great on rhythm playing. I would have kept it, but G-2's are going top dollar right now.

If you buy one, you probably won't lose any money if it doesn't work out.

9. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I have a G2. I rarely use it. It would be the perfect fuzz if it cleaned up nice when rolling off the guitar's volume knob. A good Fuzz Face cleans up beautifully when the knob is rolled back, it's what I prefer, and the G2 doesn't to that. But when it's on and all the way up it's stellar. The other thing I don't like is that it's not true bypass, I don't like the tale-tale shimmer when in bypass. But I can see what others like in this pedal, it's just not working out for me.

10. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Great responses so far guys! Thanks!

11. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

I think of the G-2 as more of a Distortion pedal. It really doesn't sound too fuzzy. Just big and amp like. It does color the sound a little though.

12. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

Hopefully this below isn't considered adding to any Cornish hype. It's just my opinion on the units, which is quite positive. Be weary of any post stating "Wow! Best pedal ever! I've died and gone to heaven!" for anything out there. Bullocks. Wait for the hype to wear off or the next flavor of the month to appear and pick it up cheap in the Emporium a few weeks later, ha. There are no Holy Grails for all.

I read about Cornish while doing research on David Gilmour's rigs over the years. The first Cornish unit I tried was the SS-2. I sold a Klon to fund it after talking to Pete; it sounded exactly like what I wanted without the drawbacks (in my opinion) of the Klon. The SS-2 had an awesome tone through nearly every setting, but all the while, it retained too much bass frequency for me. I sold it and didn't think I'd try another Cornish unit (price being a big factor). Then someone listed a P-2 on eBay for a BIN price of $240; I grabbed it less than 10 minutes after the guy listed it, ha. I loved it's clarity and versatility, but because of the size, it didn't make it on the board and was shelved for a while. A few months later, I took the P-2 along with me as a backup on tour. I used it at a sound check when we had some time to kill and ended up playing it every night. I can't believe I shelved it just to fit two other overdrives on my board that weren't nearly as good (for me). I've been hooked ever since. Pete put out the SS-3 with a Bass cut knob shortly thereafter, which answered my only complaint on the SS-2. All in all, great tones, very versatile, low noise, built like a tank and properly buffered (finally, someone gets a buffer right). Nearly all of my board is now Cornish, and for me, they are quality units that have helped get the tones I've been after while keeping the characteristics and tones of the guitars and amps I use (though the Reeves Custom 50 is by far my favorite). They've been a great investment for me. Not every unit he makes is useful for me or sound to my liking, but I'm certainly keeping the ones that do.

In short (too late!), I don't think they are for everyone tone-wise, as everyone is looking for something different. Some want more color, some want less, but sadly it seems that most want a magic makeover in a pedal, and it just isn't out there; Cornish units included. Find what does it for you, not the other guy...right?

13. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Quote of the day:
    "but sadly it seems that most want a magic makeover in a pedal, and it just isn't out there"

14. marks

marks Member

I had an SS2 a while ago. It wasn't my cup of tea so I sold it. Each to his own!

15. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Well i can honestly say that it's my go-to pedal with my AC30 Normal channel. The AC30's a hard beast to coax a good hard rock tone out of at the best of times but if you crank the Master and wind up the TB83 it's total Brian May Wembley tone...sounds great stacked with numerous other pedals, unlike certain other pedals that don't stack very well...the 83 aint' fussy :)

16. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

Didn't care much for the SS-2 by itself, but in series behind a G-2, watch out. Serious lead tone. Having better luck with an SS-3 (by itself) but use it mostly in combination with a P-2 dialed into the gain range of a G. When the P by itself is opened up to the full extent of its fuzziliciousness, time to kiss the sky. I haven't heard any fuzz that compares. I actually bought another one used just to have it re-housed into something more manageable.

17. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Firm believer in the LD-2. Wasn't too big on the SS-3, still want to try a G-2 someday.

18. BigMuffPI

BigMuffPI Member

I have the SS-2, G-2 and P-2.

The SS-2 is one of mye favourite pedals of all time. I tend to use it with mild settings. It's fat, warm, transparent and it works great as a booster for other pedals. It just sounds special.. It may be too strong in the low area though, so I reckon I'll buy a SS-3 in the nearest future.

Got the G-2 yesterday, and it's a killer. Using the G-2 and a Klon (or a SS-2/SS-3) together is just astonishing, even playing with low volume. I think it's worth the money, and I guess this pedal will be much sought after when Pete Cornish retires. So I look at it as an investment..:) Listen to David Gilmour on Live 8; that what this pedal is all about..:dude

Regarding the P-2, I have some problems defending the price. Compared to my vintage Sovtec Big Muff (green version), the difference really isn't big at all. The P-2 is a little more hifi-sounding, more dynamic and balanced but it also lacks some of the warmth of the Big Muff. On the other side, the P-2 is much better built and does not degrade your tone as the Big Muff does.

It's not easy to conclude if whether PC-pedals is worth the bucks or not. I guess it all comes down to personal taste and the gear (especially the amp) you use with it. All I can say is that I love them, and for me they're worth it. I use a Hiwatt DG103 by the way...

19. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I've owned a few and eventually sold them all. I've had an SS-2, a G-2, a P-2, an SS-2/G-2 Duplex, and G-2/P-2 Duplex (sold that one back to the guy I bought it from).

They are great, great pedals. My favorites are the G-2 and P-2, I was never that crazy about the SS-2. I did find that they work best in front of a clean amp. When I went to running my amps hotter for breakup and crunch, I didn't like the pedals as much any more. I wish I still had them to try in front of my Goodsell S-17 (my current gigging amp), which I run fairly clean to a mild crunch.

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've owned a few, don't anymore, but probably will again in the future. Every single one I sold netted more $ than I paid. They sound great, are quiet and have a nice feel to them. They don't work as well at real low volumes like my Landgraff stuff does, but if you can turn up a bit, I think they beat amps for lead tonesmost non master and master volume amps at lead tones.