Calling All South Carolinians.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by airjamie, Feb 7, 2008.

1. airjamie

airjamie Member

Has anybody heard of a store called "Guitar Cabin" in the anderson area? I've heard it was the closest thing weve got to an upscale guitar store. Been thinking about taking a ride down there but cant find any info on the net and am not about to take another hour drive to end up staring at a rack of killer schecters.

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Never heard of that one, but you should check out the SC Guitar Show in 2 weeks there in S'burg. It is a great show with lots of very nice guitars.

3. airjamie

airjamie Member

Last year was great. The warrior bootch was bigger than my house, and it had dragons!!!

4. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

How is the guitar show? I'm in Charleston and would LOVE to go spend a weekend looking at guitars - especially since there are NO stores anywhere near me that sell good instruments.

5. airjamie

airjamie Member

Gibson usually comes out with the trailer thing. Warrior is there and worth seeing just for the cheese factor and giant dragon wizard display. Last time there was a booth with some really high end jazz boxes (spotted a couple benedettos) and two guys killing it. Lots of vintage stuff. A couple small builders. All in all its a great afternoon and worth a trip.

6. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

is this a dealers only thing or open to the public? since im in the market for a new stratocaster i'd love to play around on several models - can you play the guitars or is it a look don't touch? any way to purchase anything?

7. airjamie

airjamie Member

Its totally public, and yeah just about every guitar is for sale. If youre looking for a strat id definately say go for it as there was a ton of vintage fender stuff last year.

8. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

good to hear - I had no idea there was a show anywhere close? I'm heading to NYC during my spring break and #1 on my list is fender shopping.

9. airjamie

airjamie Member

Were about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs depending on traffic. The show is actually stupid easy to find, just stay on 26 till exit 16 and its the gigantic building that says palmetto expo center. Theres absolutely no way to miss it. To tell you the truth i didnt even know the show was this soon. Usually its in may or june.

10. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

yeah I figured it wasn't too far. It'll be a nice getaway for me - i've been dying to go guitar 'shopping' but the only place here is Guitar Center and its not worth it.

Is this show like NAMM in the sense that dealers come with their product or is it retailers come with the product? any chance that you can find stuff for a good price or is it going to be the same as it is anywhere else?

To be honest I just want to get my hands around a stratocaster again - all I have at school with me is my acoustic, I had to leave all my strats behind at home because I just don't have much room for them :(

11. airjamie

airjamie Member

Its a mixture of dealers and builders, but mostly dealers. Of the dealers its mostly vintage stuff, although ive seen quite a few mcnaughts and some briggs. Prices vary but ive found some good deals in the two or three years ive been going. When the billy bo came out i snagged one for 1700 and flipped that sucker for a nice little profit. If youre looking for the best deal id buy the last day as the dealers seem to lower the prices quite a bit to avoid having to haul all their inventory home.

You go to CofC or what?

12. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

Yeah i'm from Alabama but go to school @ CofC. I've been trying to get a blues group together but I can't find a bassist if my life depended on it.

Really want to get back to playing blues

13. airjamie

airjamie Member

Thats cool dude i almost ended up going there. Dad groomed me for the citadel but i just decided i didnt like the charleston climate (and, more importantly, traffic) altogether. So now im stuck in spartanburg which is exponentially worse. lol.

14. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

I drive as little as possible here - the traffic can get crazy, and we live on Coming so its the main street to get to the interstate so my street is crazy at 5pm every evening. The climate here is nuts and its been very crazy this year..I've worn shorts all week - not the biggest fan because I like cold weather and being from AL you don't get that much so I like it cold when its supposed to be haha. Ive never been to Spartenburg before, i've got a couple friends from there though.

15. Chikn

Chikn Member

We had a guitar show here in Columbia for several years. It wasn't anything like the Spartanburg show, though.

16. Shamus

Shamus Supporting Member

Word - it's good to have a SC thread here.

:dude

Where there a lot of Gibson historics at the show last year?

17. moj067

moj067 Member

Gator if you can get to Hanahan Mike @Ye olde music has primo stuff.
    If not on the walls he can get anything and for a price that would make you think about what you can pawn to get it.

18. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

Never heard of Guitar Cabin. You guys are right about the Guitar Expo in Spartanburg, it is worth the trip. The one in Columbia over the years has been O.K. but not a lot of cool deals to be had. Seems like everything was $50K 50's Gibsons or Fenders or just total junk. As far as the weather around here these days, it is nuts. It was 82 degrees in Columbia a couple of days ago. 82 degrees in February is just wrong unless you're in the tropics or the southern hemisphere. I am loving the look of this coming weekend. High 60's and lot's of sunshine. Play yer geetar out on the deck! Yee haw!!!!!!

19. joefender

joefender Member

I'm not from SC but I visited the area in Feb '06. I stopped at the Guitar Barn and Draisen Edwards in Anderson. The Barn was a nice little shop with a few high end Fenders and Blueridge acoustics that I wanted to take home. Real nice guys. They were more than happy to let me try anything on the rack. Actually they wanted to talk about Martin guitars since I live so close to the factory and toured the plant a few times. Draisen Edwards is bigger but a bit more generic.

20. AlligatorMtn

AlligatorMtn Member

That show is in June this year - last weekend of the month I believe - I saw a flyer last night.