Calling all Stage Hog users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rubbersoul, Jul 17, 2008.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

How many of you use it as an amp rather than a pedal?? I'm looking for a low-wattage amplifier for home use and the 1 watt with power scaling, plus reviews I've read about on here, have blown me away.

Does it take other pedals well if I use it as an amp? Could I run my Dr. Scientist RRR into it with effective results? How about an overdrive pedal?

Thoughts??? I'm sure it makes a great pedal, but I'm really interested in it as a stand-alone amplifier. Any help would be great.

Cheers

2. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a v5 before and currently have a v8 on the way. From my recollection, works great both ways. I've actually heard storied of guys using the SH as an amp head plugged into a 1x12 cab. Toss a couple of pedals in front the boost the sucker and there you have it. Tonal bliss! As a matter of fact, I spoke directly with Mark S just 2 days ago and he was telling me about the same guy that I read about. And Mike HIGHLY recommends the use of a SH as an amp with a booster in front.

IMHO, the SH excepts pedals VERY well and is extremely versatile! If you want to save a few bucks, I've seen several v5s floating around and 1 or 2 v7s. You could probably save anywhere from $200-300 off a new v8. As for versions, all are the same but Mark has made some significant improves to v8. He also mentioned on the phone that he's real happy with this latest version and doesn't plan and any major improves. Meaning, the v8 "should" be sticking around for a while :AOK

3. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks onestop, that's exactly what I want to hear, and exactly what I want to do...plug into a 1x12 and use it as an amp. It sounds too cool!!

Cheers

4. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

What is the website for these creatures?

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

6. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

http://www.stephensonamps.com/stagehog.htm

I love mine. I recently got a V8 and am selling my V5 (currently on ebay).

I run it into a clean amp (Hayseed 30) and it gives me a great dirty channel. I don't set the gain too high on the Hog, usually about 10:00 to 11:00 o'clock. It does take pedals into it well, but I don't use it that way. I run higher gain boxes into the clean amp for that.

7. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

That's how I used mine when I had one. It takes pedals just like any other amp.

I got rid of mine because the clean sound was somewhat lackluster and the full on cranked sound was still too loud for an apartment! The power scaling works ok, but when I scaled back to an acceptable volume the Stage Hog just sounded like most other dirt pedals into my main amp.

I find the TIM pedal running into my big amp to sound much better for low to medium dirt sounds; that pedal is just stupid good and you get to keep your main amps beautiful clean tones.

For full on cranked tones, my Ho/UA attenuator is way better and doesn't just sound like dirt pedal.

If you can make some noise the Stage Hog may prove more effective for you, but the cleans still don't compare to a bigger amp.

TG

8. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

When I tried using it as an amp, I thought it sounded surprisingly lifeless. But I didn't work very hard to tweak it, either. As a distortion / od, I've been comparing it to a KOT and a Fuchs Extreme Creme. The Stage Hog is dramatically warmer. I don't think I'll keep all 3 but it's hard to decide what to keep - they all sound good in their way. I'm also experimenting with tubes in the Stage Hog. Changing a tube makes a big difference.

9. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks guys...great input!

Cheers

10. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I don't like the power scaling on very high - I run it at about 2:00 o'clock (counter clockwise is the high end). Sounds great that way. But I only use mine as a pedal, never as an amp.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There are other, cheaper alternatives to this, although all the others are single ended rather than push/pull (at least, from the information on the website I'm assuming that the 12DW7 output tube is running in a push/pull configuration thru an output transformer). As examples: the H&K "Machine" series has a 12AX7 and an EL84 running single ended into a dummy load then a SS power amp. You can run it directly into a speaker or use it as a tube preamp. The THD Univalve can do this, as can any number of other small amps if run into a dummy load (like the Zvex Nano as another example, or the Emery Superbaby). My concern with the Stage Hog is that the 12DW7 was never meant as an output tube, and despite the high praise that triodes gain in hi-fi output applications, I've never been as happy with the sound of a maxed out preamp tube as I have with a power amp tube. I confess that i've never heard one in person, though.

12. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks a lot...good info that helps me in my decision making. I want to hear all thoughts on it.

Cheers

13. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Try a Gjika Mini-amp if you can get a hold of one some day. You'd like it for the reasons you cite.

14. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The SH is single ended also.
    The 12DW7/7247 tube is half a section of an 12AX7 and half of a 12AU7.
    The latter section is used as a "power" tube with the former driving it.
    The first 12AX7 serves as a preamp tube.

Ted