calling all TopHat Club Royale users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TREV FLINT, May 29, 2008.

1. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

I could really use some help dialing in dirty tones on my Royale. I find that when I push the volume and get some grit going on that I really get a fierce "ice pick" going on as well as a "sizzle". Playing power chords sounds great but bustin' out some lead work gets a little harsh due to the ice pick. I have turned my tone control on my guitars down but still doesn't seem right to me. When I hit the amp with od pedals or fuzz pedals the icepick and sizzle really gets pretty harsh.

Having said all that the clean tones on this amp are just increadable with my Telecaster!!

If anyone would like to share there settings or has any tips on controling the EQ's that would be great as I am still learning how the amps EQ section works.

Thanks for reading.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Couple of possible solutions.

Turn the MV up to 2 oclock or beyond.

Turn up the cut control all the way, then dial it backwards to tame the top end (note that all of the action in this knob is in the last 1/4 turn).

You might need new tubes, put in some new power tubes and/or put in a lower gain tube in V1 (5771 works great).

3. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Good suggestions by riffmeister. The cut control is really the key on that amp.

How long have you had the amp? Any "issue" I had with any of my TopHats ended up being a tube problem.

4. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

The amp was built in January 08, and it has Mullard power tubes. It is tube rectified with a EH 6CA4 tube in that spot. Tung Sol 12AX7 occupies the V1.

5. mockoman

mockoman Member

Turn down the middle control. On mine,above 12:00 will be bright,but below 12:00 will fatten up.

Keep the treble low,9:00 or less. With some guitars & effects,you can even turn it all the way down.

Cut control will start to kick in between 1 & 2:00.Any higher will really deaden the sound.

Are you useing the 'fat' setting on the switch?

Lastly,I like an NOS Phillips in V1.Fat mids,and also rolls off the highest frequencies.

6. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

Great advice, thanks! I usually put the "fat" switch on when I want a little more dirt.

Well, I guess I have a few things to try, thanks again folks!

7. FAC

FAC Member

I've found that this is the key...for great dirt, I generally have the treble all the way off...from all the way off to "almost" all the way off is where there is a low-mid interactive thing going on that smoothes out the sound. I know it seems strange and unintuitive, but it works! Follow that with judicious use of the Cut control to tame the fizz, if it remains.

The TopHat Club Royale is one of my favorite amps ever, and is currently the centerpiece of my setup...but for me, I have not been able to find a happy medium between a clean and a totally dirty sound on the CR...I LOVE both sounds, but I find I can only dial it in for one or the other. I have not had good luck with a clean sound topped with pedals for dirt. I have contemplated purchasing another CR so I can have the clean sound on one and the dirty sound on the other, or perhaps getting a TopHat King Royale for the cleans (just out of my price range at the moment).

Side note: I was recently introduced to and blown away by the Hiwatt clean sound, so rather than doubling up on the CR's I ordered a Reeves Custom 50 combo for clean for variety. I will continue to use the CR for overdriven sounds and A/B them.

8. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I always had a pretty fat sound and good drive when I had the treble nearly all the way off or off and had the cut fully ccw. put the mids at 11-1 o' clock and the bass to taste.

I don't think I've ever had an icepick issue with my CR and I've used a tele with mine for most of the time I've had it.

9. Cottage

Cottage Member

I agree with this completely. Mine sounds best when the vol. is around 4 o'clock and the master is dimed. Also speakers make a dif. I just installed a cele blue to go with the stock G12-H30 and finally had a use for the Cut to tame some of the highs emitted by the blue. The blue really boosted the highs and the amp is a bit louder as well.

10. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

Hey cottage, I have the same speaker combination. Maybe the Blue is what is adding to the highs for me. I tried having the cut almost full and it helps with the highs but the clarity is lost a little. I must keep experimenting.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

how many hours on that amp? if low, then the speakers may not be broken in yet which can add an element of harshness.

12. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Yeah,
    it may be lack of speaker break in.

I put Weber beam blockers on the G12H30 / Alnico Blue pair I have in an Avatar cab. And they got a 50hr break in.

I use those B.B.s a lot. Use one on a DRRI with a Crex spkr.
    They definitely stop the laser beam highs

cheap at ~$20 ea.

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have a Hiwatt 50 and a King Royale and they can be an amazing combo
    together .. beautiful wall of sound !

Your Reeves amp for cleans and a CR for dirt should work brilliantly !

14. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

I changed one of the speakers in my 2x12 combo from the stock anniversary Celestion to a Heritage H-What a difference! really smooths it out-Try it!

15. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

I probably only have about 2o hours of playing at a decent volume. How long would I expect a Celestian G12H and a Blue to break in?