Calling all Traynor YBA-2 Bassmate owners!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr.Woody, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mr.Woody

Mr.Woody Supporting Member

Hey everyone,
    just wanted to see what your experience has been with your YBA-2 bassmate. i'm much more interested in the 6V6 version than the el84 version. also, i will most likely get the Vol/bass/treb version since the Vol/tone combo's are out of my range right now.

How would you describe the tone? More Fender or marshall (or completely different)? Any issues? Favorite speaker?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. All the videos on outube are clean, not overdriven.

Thanks in advance :)
    Woody

2. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I'd say more tweed Fender. I have the 6v6 version. I slightly modded the tonestack for guitar, but it's grindy, swampy and loose like a tweed.

3. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I've owned tons of 6V6 bassmates and currently have a tube rectified combo and a very early head (with just volume and tone knobs).

They sound like a Tweed Fender with a bit of British mixed in. They rip when pushed into distortion and are not insanely loud. Not much headroom, but that is true of any 20 watt amp.

My combo is running into a 15" Jensen (which was stock in these very early units) and I have run both it and my head into 10" Greenback and a 10" EMI Red Fang. They all sound great, it just depends on what you like.

I've never played or heard an EL 84 version in person so I cannot comment on them.

TG

4. Mr.Woody

nice. i will probably mod it some as well. can you do me a favor? I'm just trying to find something that sounds like my little gibson only louder. Would you mind watching 1 or 2 video of it on my youtube? There's a link in my sig, and it it should be one of the latest videos. I know the GA-20 is supposed to be similar to the tweed deluxe, but i've been told it sounds more like a Marshall. Just wanna know if the overdrive of the Traynor sounds anything like the overdrive of the GA-20. I really, really would appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Woody

5. Mr.Woody

oh, just saw the last comment, must have posted while i was typing mine. That sounds awesome. I'm not looking for a whole lot of headroom. most of my playing is at home, at church, or in the studio. I have a hotplate and i don't mind using it. Let me as a question, any clue if a master volume mod exist for these? I know most people would say a MV on a 20 watt amp is silly, but i've had my 18 watt reinhardt for over a months and have yet to be able to really crank it up because of living in a small apartment.

I have the opportunity to trade my GA-20 for one of these +$100. it's a little higher than other prices i've seen, but i know the price of these is going up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,
    Woody

6. JDW3

JDW3 Member

My combo sounds good with a Weber Cali 15", but the amp plugged into a V30 loaded 2x12 really sounds stellar. To the point I need to build a head cab.