Calling Avatar cab owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tone, May 3, 2005.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys.
    Just wondering what you guys think about everything about these cabs, like quality, looks, sound, construction, etc. I know I could get some reviews on HC, but I wanted to get some truthfull opinions. :)

Thanks!

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

I have a 2x12 open back cab with greenbacks in it. it sounds great, has held up very nicely with the various gigs i've played. it is very light which is a nice change from some other cabs that i have owned. nothing fancy in the construction, they feel solid. i have some friends who prefer other more costly cabs, but for the price you can't beat em, at least in my opinion.

3. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Love em! Mine also has Greenbacks at the moment. I've had 2 of them. Nicely built, sound great, and Dave's customer service is very good.

4. TIG

TIG Member

2x12 with v-30 & g12h..open back..great cab..great price...great folks to deal with...my next cab will come from them!!

5. Tone

Tone Member

How do you guys feel they compare to other brands, like Bogner, Mesa, Dr.Z etc.?

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

2X12 open back with a pair of Classic Lead 80s.

Haven't done the comparison thing. Why further complicate my life with the Avatar having given me everything I want from a 2X12 from the start?

7. Tone

Tone Member

Anyone happen to have close up pics of theirs? Is the tolex the real plasticy looking type like on the cheaper Marshalls? Any internal shots too?

Thanks!:dude

8. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Tolex is standard stuff. Box Construction is first rate.

Prices are great.

Customer service is second to none

9. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

I own one now with vintage 30s in it and owned another in the past with an eminence v12/gb12 combo, and they both sounded great. Built like a tank, it's too heavy, and handles being moved around really well.

10. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i've got a 2x12 with one V30 and one G12H-30. i use it all the time and it sounds great. really good service too.

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I have one of the "Specials" with G12h & V30 open/oval cut....great cab all the way around. A/B'd it in a local shop here with a THD (excellent cab too), and actually preferred the Avatar for its punchy presence.

Also A/B'd with my friend's J Design, same speakers, pine, can't remember if it was closed...both sounded great, but the JD was a bit warmer, perhaps due to the pine.

I'm complicating my life with a Germino (mojo) 2x12 on the way...more comparisons to come. I'll probably end up with diffrent speakers in the Germino.

To get picky, the grill cloth is not stretched perfectly along the top edge...otherwise, very nice.

Greg

12. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

yep. Have Greenbacks in mine, sounds great with Germino Lead55 head, looks great too. :dude

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I currently own 2 blonde and wheat Avatar cabs. One of them is a closed back loaded with celestion g12m's and the other is a semi-open back loaded with celestion vin 30's. I really like both of them and construction is really solid with no rattles or whistles whatsoever.

I'm offering the greenback loaded cab up for sale at the moment due to space considerations, but otherwise, I'd keep it. I HIGHLY recommend Avatar cabs.:cool:

14. blong

blong Supporting Member

I own a blonde with wheat grill to match my Rake head. It is one of the best cabs I have ever heard. I have the G12-H30/V30 combo, semi-open back (the oval cutout). I have compared mine to a THD cab and a mesa 2x12 open and closed back cab, and myself and several others couldn't believe the Avatar really sounded much better with several different heads. We tried a THD bi-valve, VHT pittbull 45, my Rake, a Rectoverb, a 1967 Bassman head, my ADA MP-1/Peavey Classic 60 setup, and buddy's Deluxe Reverb into each. The Avatar cab sounded better in every test. This was a 2 and 1/2 try out at low and high volume with clean and dirty tones, and the Avatar really sounded much better in every person's opinion but 1, which was 6 people to 1. This guy also likes to set treble and bass knobs on 8, middle on 2 - 3 on any amp he tries, and then says he likes the bottom end of the THD better. The THD was closed-back and did have slightly more bottom at higher volumes, but that could be compensated for on the Avatar with a little twist of the tone knobs of the amps.

The richness and full sound of that cabinet had me walking out of there feeling like a champ and my buddy, who had just bought his bi-valve, a great amp, by the way, and the cab feeling a little let down b/c he thought it would blow my Avatar away.

The Avatar cabinet is great at any price, and much cheaper than all the others. Get one, you won't regret it. I am now going to order another in black to go with my mp-1 setup. One of my buddy's that heard it is ordering one this week. He couldn't believe it either.

Bob

15. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I have 2 Avatar 212's, black/wheat with G12H30/V30 combination. I love them, though I haven't compared them to many others. The build quality and tone performance make them quite a good buy.

Allan.

16. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    kinduva sidenote but i use a bass cab, 2x10. very happy w/it for sound, function, construction, cost, younameit.

:cool:

17. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My Avatar semi open back with V30's mics and records very well.:) :cool:

18. leecow

leecow Member

Looks like feedback is on the 2x12 - what's the verdict on the 1x12? I'm looking to downsize a bit and the Avatar 'buzz' has me interested.

19. Dave Cowley

Dave Cowley Member

Hey, Lee! I have a pair of Avatar 1x12s with Emi Governors in them and like 'em a lot. Their bass response is pretty surprising, given their size. If you're running just one, it doesn't disperse the sound very much, so IMHO you have to place it carefully. So I use a pair with my Flexi to make a pint-sized stack.

20. Testudo

Testudo Member

I am yet another Special owner, and I am perfectly happy with it in all respects. Certainly it is unbeatable for price. Construction is solid, the tolex is like all other tolex. The grillcloths on mine both fit fine.
    I have a second open-back 2x12 cabinet, currently housing a Stonehenge and Tonker.
    Can't adequately compare it to any other maker's cab, but I can find no negatives to the Avatar.