Calling Budda players

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Soundhound, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

My new Superdrive 30 112 just arrived today. Couldn't wait to give it a try. Plugged in an, uh, er, the clean channel sounds pretty good, but the drive channel is muddy. And the pull/modern scoop switch doesn't seem to do anything. I'm coming from playing fender and fender-ish amps, so I don't really know what I'm listening to, but the push pull switch not working made me think something might be amiss.

I'll listen more carefully again tomorrow. But in the mean time would you say that the effect of the push pull switch could be a subtle thing, or should it be obvious? And would you Budda lovers ever call the drive channel muddy?

2. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

I can't speak about the SD30 series II with the pull/push mid switch since I have an older SD30. I have never found the gain channel muddy at all. Thick, yes, but not muddy. How high are you running the gain? Try turning the gain down to around 10:00. I find that the amp gets more compresed and less dynamic with the gain cranked way up. It opens up a bit with lower gain settings. If it still sounds muddy with the gain backed off, then I would speculate that something is wrong.

As a side note, I have a SD30 head and 2x12 cabinet. I had the chassis in a Budda 1x12 cabinet for a few months and I did not care for the tone of the gain channel in that configuration at all. Too midrangy and boxy for me. I also had a mod done to better balance out the volumes between the gain channel and the clean channel which also helped to open up the tone of the gain channel a bit. It was a simple mod that only required changing one resistor (email Budda for details).

3. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Contact the guys a Budda. Their customer service is tremendous. They'll make it right for you.

peace,

jb

4. jay66

jay66 Member

I have the SD 18 when you pull the scoop control it is very obvious. Sounds like somthing is wrong.

5. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Agreed, it should be a big difference as long as the knob is up at least half way to begin with. I posted about a week ago on an SD 30 2x12 saying that the rythm on mine can be muddy as well. It was diagnosed as being the speakers (themselves or out of synch hook up). those that have the head version and run through other cabs don't have the lack of bass or muddyness.

6. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Thanks everybody. I'll try out all these suggestions tonight and hopefully will begin to see the light. If not, I'll get in touch with the guys at Budda and see what they say.

7. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Can you please let us know what he says...I'm curious about his suggestions as well?

8. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Will do Bill, I'll call them tomorrow if things don't improve tonight.

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well Buddas are not known to be bright amps and are voiced on the dark side.
    I wouldn't call them muddy but they are wonderfully dark and smooth.
    I have an sd80 and now an sd18...........The sd80 being much brighter than the 18.
    The volume balance mod opens up the drive channel and makes it brighter.

Pulling the mid knob switch brightens up the drive channel considerably and for it not to have any effect on your amp .........something is wrong.

The thing is when I had done the channel balance mod to my buddas the mid pull knob became ineffective and hardly worked.
    I have a knob modded on the back of the amp to control the volume of the drive side.......and the louder I make the drive channel............the more useless the mid pull switch becomes...........so maybe that could have something to do with why you're not hearing much...........Maybe the amp has been factory modded already............

Cheers
    Rick

10. Denny

Denny Member

I have the same mod - love it!! with or without it, the Mid-pull doesn't seem to do that much - but I love the amp - both channels!! Notes are defined - even on the highest gain setting - but you have to do that dhannel balance mod for sure. I agree - call Jeff at Budda and tell him - he's the man! I'm sure he'll figure it out. Good luck

Denny

11. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I just played my Budda and something's definitely up. The bass knob doesn't do anything at all. Neither does the mid control, or the pull/modern switch. the treble control has only a slight effect. Methinks this can't be right. No wonder it's sounding boxy and the dist channel sounds all muddy. I mean, I know I'm a 6l6/6v6 guy, but either I'm totally deaf, or I need to call our friends at Budda tomorrow. Arg.

12. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

Sorry about your amp, that sucks. I think you'll be pleased when you get it worked out. I don't have the pull-mid on mine, so I couldn't comment on that. However, my bass and mid knobs do a whole lot to my tone, so it sounds like you do have a problem there.

13. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I'd say that's partially true - the Super Drive 18 and Super Drive 30 are darker in nature, my Super Drive 45 is an entirely different beast. It has more hi-end chime and glass, and really cool spank and snap with Strats. It can even do rhythm jangle fairly well. It's based on KT66 output tubes, whereas the SD18 and SD30 are EL84-based. Even at that, I've a Budda Twinmaster that's based on EL84s, and it's not at all a dark amp - lots of spank, and chime, and jangle on its low-gain input with a thicker and more harmonically rich hi-gain tone on its hi-gain input. It really does depend upon the Budda amp of which you're speaking....

Peace,

jb

14. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I didn't mean to slam Buddas in any way here. I love their stuff and just wanted to see if anyone had had similar problems here. Just spoke with Jeff (great guy) and he told me a few things to listen for: 1) Mid scoop has way more effect when mids are already cut-it just accentuates that. 2) The tone controls have way more effect when in drive channel, with drive up. Will investigate further and report back to base.

15. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Budda's customer service is incredible. Jeff B is great. He's given me 2 different mods for my Buddas (one for changing treble on my SD30 and one for taming the volume on my Sd45). Luckily he's trusted me to do my own mods (I was a tech for 3 years) and they've all worked great.

you know the mid scoop doesnt work on the clean channel. On my SD30 its not terribly prounounced...but its there. From all the information I've heard on this board and from trying a Sd18 combo.....the Budda's sound better in a head unit with non budda speakers. Both mine sound incredible with my 2x12 Bogner oversized cab (V30's).