Calling fender experts

mhz88

I see a strat for sale that has a 60th anniversary emblem on the back of the headstock,the seller says its a 97.i thought I remembered fnder had the 60th anniversary in early 2000(can remember which year). Any experts care to shed a light ?

lowedt

Sounds like he's full of it......Id get the serial # and look it up before I went any further

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
The headstock on a 1996 should have a 50th anniversary logo. My Tele has one. It looks like the one on this Strat:

It's not a special edition or anything. They all had it that year. 60th would be a 2006 as mellecaster said.

saintpatrick

The serial # will tell you the year. A letter "N" beginning the serial # will tell you it was made between 1990-1999. A "Z" will tell you 2000-2009. The second digit tells you the Year. In the pic above the Neck is a N6XXXXXX which is a 1996. There are variations based on some special models through the years but a basis USA standard/Series Strat will use this. Get the serial and will make it easy to get the info you are looking for.

mhz88

It is msn7Xxxxx with 60th silver emblem. Weird thing is I emailed fender and they said its 96 and correct???

John C

Gold Supporting Member
It is msn7Xxxxx with 60th silver emblem. Weird thing is I emailed fender and they said its 96 and correct???
Well 1996 would have been the 50th Anniversary, not the 60th as that didn't happen until 2006.

Can you post up some photos? Maybe someone just stuck one of the 60th Anniversary medallions on an earlier model.

Also that serial number sounds off, for whatever reason I thought that "MN7xxxxxx" numbers would have run from say mid-1997 through mid-1998. It could be that because that serial number should track to an MIM Artist Signature model (based on that "S" in the letters -the "MSN") that they ran in a different sequence than the "normal" MIM serial numbers.

mhz88

Well 1996 would have been the 50th Anniversary, not the 60th as that didn't happen until 2006.

Can you post up some photos? Maybe someone just stuck one of the 60th Anniversary medallions on an earlier model.

Also that serial number sounds off, for whatever reason I thought that "MN7xxxxxx" numbers would have run from say mid-1997 through mid-1998. It could be that because that serial number should track to an MIM Artist Signature model (based on that "S" in the letters -the "MSN") that they ran in a different sequence than the "normal" MIM serial numbers.

That's what I have

Geosh

That's what I have
The Jim Root Telecaster, James Burton Standard Telecaster, Buddy Guy Stratocaster (polka dot model), Robert Cray Stratocaster and Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster use an “MSN” serial number prefix.

Based on the serial number, that would be a 1997-1998 model

Probably just stuck the 60th sticker on because he thought it looked cool or might come across as "collectable" to an unknowing buyer. :dunno

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
My late 2005/early 2006 is a 60th Anniversary model with the badge on the back of the HS.

As mentioned already, the mid 90s were 50th anniversary editions.

Funny thing is Fender has all sorts of different anniversaries they have been commemorating through the years. It gets confusing sometimes.

That's what I have
I've got an MSN7 that's got the same 2006 button and the date stamps inside the pickguard say 2006 and so do the pots on this Original guitar.

Sounds like some missed communication with FMIC here.

On your model you may be able to check the neck pocket and the underside of the heel. I couldn't, because that stuff is missing on Jimmy Vaughans (not sure why, but always is).

mhz88

Heard back from fender and they said it's a 2006, the serials on signature models so not conform to the standard numbering.

The Jim Root Telecaster, James Burton Standard Telecaster, Buddy Guy Stratocaster (polka dot model), Robert Cray Stratocaster and Jimmie Vaughan Stratocaster use an “MSN” serial number prefix.

Based on the serial number, that would be a 1997-1998 model

Probably just stuck the 60th sticker on because he thought it looked cool or might come across as "collectable" to an unknowing buyer. :dunno
Not so fast.

This prefix stuff may have started out in synch in 1995 or something, but over time the MSN took forever to get through MSN6 and into MSN7 and best I can recall, the numbers never advanced much beyond this all through the 2000s.

Then suddenly in 2009 they jumped up to MSZ9.

Here's an open call to every TGPer out there. Show us your MSN9s, MSZ1s, MSZ4s and so forth. I don't think they exist.

Sure I could be wrong but I'm really intrigued by this. I'd love to be shown I'm wrong right now, I just want to get this straight.

Geosh

Not so fast.

This prefix stuff may have started out in synch in 1995 or something, but over time the MSN took forever to get through MSN6 and into MSN7 and best I can recall, the numbers never advanced much beyond this all through the 2000s.

Then suddenly in 2009 they jumped up to MSZ9.

Here's an open call to every TGPer out there. Show us your MSN9s, MSZ1s, MSZ4s and so forth. I don't think they exist.

Sure I could be wrong but I'm really intrigued by this. I'd love to be shown I'm wrong right now, I just want to get this straight.
I pulled that off the Fender site. Apparently with the MSN models, the numbering is out the wondow.

This is from Strat-Talk:
"Usually this works, Will, but not on MSN guitars and especially not on Jimmie Vaughans.

If you have the original pickguard, there should be a date stamped on the underside of it. I've got one Jimmie where that stamp is obscured, but that's in fact the only UNIVERSAL good way to date a Jimmie. Some years are easier. All 2009s seem to be "MSZ9". All 2006s have a tiny "60th" button on the back of the headstock. The first few hundred or so have a wicked semi-hard Vee neck that is wonderful and sought after. The rest of them are MSN5, MSN6 and MSN7 but these 5s, 6s and 7s DO NOT necessarily mean 1996, 1997, 2006 or 2007 and in fact generally DO NOT match. Use the pickguard for any genuine accuracy.

Nothing in the neck pocket on any one I've seen, nothing stamped into the body.

I think someone at Fender ordered a MASSIVE number of MSN6 and MSN7 decals and it was decided not to waste them. When those were gone, Mexico finally resumed a rational "Artist" number scheme in 2009."

bigtone23

Sounds like the same resourcefulness that Fender used with the E3&4 serial #s on Headstock decals that went well into 87 with Strats and about 89 with Teles. Use 'em up until they are gone!
My 87 Strat is E4 and 88 Tele is E3.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
That actually makes sense. Fender did the same thing with the USA Signature models as they used the "SE9xxxxx" until some time in 1994 when they suddenly "caught up" to the regular numbers.

Looks like my caveat about MIM signature series serial numbers running "in a different sequence than the "normal" MIM serial numbers" was correct. I just didn't realize that Fender took that long to "catch up" for the MIMs.

Trending Topics