Calling Fingerprint owners! Good into dirty amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TJT79, Apr 12, 2015.

1. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Hi

I've just heard about the Fingerprint - sounds fantastic, and a pretty unique sound.

I haven't been able to find a conventional demo video, where they go through different settings,

How would this do in front of a crunchy 18-Watt Marshall? Does it get too mushy? I'm wanting a fuzzy rhythm sound.

There are very few videos/clips around - if you have any please post them.

Cheers,
    TJT

PS. For a fuzz into crunchy amp, I'm between this and an Astrotone.

2. TJT79

TJT79 Member

3. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Is this the FUzzhugger Fingerprint fuzz?

4. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I think it's the same thing. I believe it was originally a Penny Pedals design, which was then discontinued and cloned by Fuzzhugger. And now Penny Pedals have reissued. BUT I'm not sure - I'm sure someone will come and correct me.

How does the Fuzzhugger do into a crunchy amp?

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

6. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I didn't like it at all. Clean, or dirty. It gets really...messy. And I love fuzz and feedback.

7. TJT79

TJT79 Member

OK. I'm not sure if the Fuzzhugger is the same. Can anyone confirm??

Mr. Poo: how does your original pedal do with crunchy amps?

Thanks for comments.

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

It's a fuzz, so it will distort pretty quickly and will get harsher and splattier as you crank the gain. The more treble, the more crunch.

9. TweedBassman

TweedBassman Member

Fuzzhugger has discontinued the Fuzzprint I believe now that the Fingerprint Redux reissue is out. xrleroyx, what version did you have? Sorry you didn't get along with it.

While I haven't played a Fuzzprint personally I believe they are pretty similar. But, the new Redux is not only the same circuit, but the same components from the same batch as the originals. So if you like those original demos from long ago, you may really dig the new one.

If you have a bright amp like an 18 watt, or just want a similar tone to the FP but need more tonal control, you're the reason I've come out with the Fingerprint Noir: a darker, heavier version that is also more defined and clear, with an added tone control in place of the voltage starve on the Redux.

As for demos, my arthritic left hand :)rockin) is really putting a damper on my playing lately but I am currently contacting demo-for-hire folks to get some nice high quality demos out there.

Nwlp∅ likes this.
  10. TJT79

TJT79 Member

Thanks for your comments. How do these pedals do with an already crunchy amp? Would I be better looking at something lower-gain, an OD, a booster? I love the sound of these based on demos into clean amps but I have a feeling it'll get too messy into a dirty amp.

Best of luck with the reissue pedals, TweedBassman.

11. Nwlp∅

Nwlp∅ Member

Hey! I think i want one of these noirs from what i have been able to hear from youtube's quality. Are they available right now? Also wanted to ask you which one would handle complex chords better?