Calling Les Paul Junior owners: How to lower the action on my (MF) LP Jr.?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Navigator, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Navigator

Navigator Supporting Member

Yeah, I suppose it seems an easy thing to do: just crank the studs down a bit, right? Wrong. Seems that what appear to be the large heads of the mounting bolts for the wraparound tailpiece actually come OFF, when you loosen them, and tightening them merely serves the purpose of holding the tailpiece tighter on the tailpiece's studs.

It does appear that the lips on the studs that the tailpiece sits on have some straight edges that one could grab with a wrench but I'm not sure. I'm just hoping I CAN bring the action down a bit, since I'm really digging the guitar otherwise. Thanks for your help! Help!

2. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Sounds like it has locking studs on it. You can't turn the studs by hand with the bridge off?

Those flat edges are for a wrench that normally comes with the studs, at least when you get them from Tonepros.

3. Navigator

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I guess they are locking studs of a sort. It's just that the tailpiece itself appears to be the standard compensated type that was standard on the Musician's Friend LP Jr. I guess I'll have to try to find a wrench that will fit.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

You won't have that problem on standard studs.

5. Navigator

Well, I have no idea who the manufacturer of these locking studs is, but I loosened the strings and removed the tailpiece, and the height adjustment part of the studs moved easily by hand. I had to do this a few times. Then I took some of the relief out of the neck, and the guitar now plays just great now. Sounds great too.