Calling Out to Builders…Favorite Jigs, Templates, Tips & Techniques

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by pinefd, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Sawarow

Sawarow Gold Supporting Member

I have a similar trussrod bullet hole jig, but I use three of the tuner holes to reference it to the neck.

[​IMG]

Here is the bottom of the jig.

[​IMG]

Here it is being drilled.

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

2. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

...This ^

BTW: DPM you need more pics in the Oni Gallery. I can't imagine any kind of jig that could shape the backs of your guitar bodies.

I do agree that certain operations are faster with a cutter and fixture especially in a production environment. I could see Strat style bolt neck shaping to be ultra fast with the right fixture. I'm curious to know what Fender uses for this. I'm sure they have figured out their run times and costs.

3. Malinoski

Malinoski everything wrong possible

Here is a fret end file I made with a flat bastard file and a piece of scrap.
    Saves on hand cramps and bloody knuckles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Member

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I've stuck with the hand cramps and bloody knuckles........

Cheers,

6. bnguitars

bnguitars Member

Wow, even your file follow the same design of your guitars! And they're surely more comfortable than the Stewmac ones :bow

7. Sawarow

8. anyone

anyone Member

My! That's a purdy piece of maple!
    Used for the base of a jig, though...?
    You're treating it like that stuff just grows on trees or something...

(nice jig)

9. Sawarow

That's not the jig, that's the neck. I make my jigs from my stack of Brazilian rosewood :bonk

Actually, the jig is MDF in the 2nd photo.

10. anyone

anyone Member

Ah! Now I see it. :rotflmao

11. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

Same^ I have a little template I use to make it into a overhead pin router too! Self centers, clamp the fixture, then I plop the pin in. One expensive pin router!

12. dpm

dpm Member

Yeah, I know, I need to learn to take a decent photo too. Gotta prioritise the current orders for the time being then look at the website once I'm caught up.

Sawarow, I use the same approach to the fret slots. Light passes, keeping an eye on feed rate. I also follow my compound radius exactly but make mine with closed ends because I like the look.

Here's one of my CNC jigs that I use for small sections of sheet materials. It's crude but it works so well that I keep tweaking for different jobs and materials. The MDF board locates on the table with 1/4" pins so sheet location is the same every time. The screw heads hold down the edges firmly, it's a really solid way of dealing with thin materials like the copper clad PCB sheet in the pic (I use that for pickup baseplates now). Works great for cavity covers, pickup components and that shallow rectangular area holds the brass bar I make bridge bases from. My machine table is 1.5" MDF which I've machined flat and sealed then engraved a grid coordinate system on. Misc. materials can be clamped straight on the table and their location transferred to a CAD template. There are locating pin holes and threaded inserts in the table to mount jigs for bodies, necks and fretboards.

[​IMG]

13. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

I used to do this but I just don't have the dedication any more. Luckily I have a sawblade on the CNC so I can knock out FB's in any scale from start to finish in about 15 a FB (depending on inlay type).

I have a couple multiscale things brewing though that means I'll have to go back to the end mill bit.

14. Malinoski

Malinoski everything wrong possible

I remember when dinosaurs roamed the earth...

[​IMG]

15. Pfeister

Pfeister Member

Whoa, if I didn't know better I'd think you stole that from my shop.:boxer The miter box for fret slotting I made looks almost exactly like that.

I never understood why anybody would buy one.

16. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

Fender had an 8 position Zuckerman copy lathe when I was there, and there was a lot of handwork after rough cutting. With interchangable master patterns, done 8 at a time, it goes pretty quickly.

17. ocgeardisorder

ocgeardisorder Senior Member

That fret press is HUGE! Where can I get me one? I sent the stewmac one back it was wimpy, and way to chinalike.

18. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Member

This is my fretting station. The compartments in the back hold radius blocks that are used for final prep of the fingerboard or sometimes as clamping cauls.

That is a one ton press. It has a bit larger throat than stew macs. I replaced one of the front locking bolts with a thumb screw from a drum set. I can lock the cam down while gluing a fret end or even lock it pin the up position.

Movable side blocks lets me do bolt on necks or set necks with slanted headstocks and tall heels.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  19. ocgeardisorder

ocgeardisorder Senior Member

What is the brand on the the press? I use my drill press now, and it works well. I would like to add a station that is dedicated. Although, I do like the clearance on the drill press.

20. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Member

I'll have to check the name on it. Harbor Freight has a one ton press very close to this for $50. For pressing frets this is more than adequate.

J