Calling Pritchard Amp Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by CNP, Oct 31, 2005.

1. CNP

CNP Member

After reading up on these amps I've decided to take the plunge. Decided on a Gold Estoc, but need to decide on either a 1x12" tunnel back or 1x15" tunnel back. I play blues, clean and dirty. Any advice/suggestions regarding the 1x12 or the 1x15 would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. tiltrite

tiltrite Member

so what did you end up getting? Thinking about an estoc myself; not sure whether to go closed back or tunnel back.

3. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Why did you pick that model? Wouldn't the Sword be better for your style.

I really like the look of the 1 x 12, 2 x 5 combo.

4. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

I've ordered a Black Dagger. Shipped last Friday and should be in soon. I play classic rock covers and blues. Don't really need switch between two completely different tone galaxies so I just wanted the single channel. I got the 1x12 TB. I wanted the lightest and most portable tone weapon.;)

5. CNP

CNP Member

I ended up getting the Gold Estoc. Absolutely amazing amp-- I can't think of a better gigging tool. Small and lightweight, extremely versatile tonewise, LOUD and with really great tone. I didn't end up keeping it, though, only because I just haven't been gigging much, and I really only need one type of tone-- tweed. While I could achieve a nice tweedy tone with the Pritchard (along with a myriad of Marshally, Voxy and Fender Blackface type tones), my Victoria 35115 w/vintage Jensen 15" speaker is just the holy grail for tweed tone with my Teles. I just couldn't keep both, so I returned the Pritchard. If I favored Marshall or Fender blackface tones, I definately would have kept the Pritchard, and would choose it over any Marshall or blackface type amp I've played.

6. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I've been thinking about ordering a Sword. They look like they might be a great gigging amp. Small, lightweight and with a variety of decent sounds.
    I keep hearing good things about them. Tempting:confused:

7. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

This brings up a good point. Is there an engineering reason why the Pritchards don't have the classic Tweed style voicing in them given their otherwise great versitility?

8. ekp

ekp Member

First, please note that CNP wrote that it had a "nice Tweed tone". Not precisely like the tone of his Tweed.

Second, I do not know of any technical reason why my technology could not do a super Tweed tone, if it were driven in that direction, but we had no tweeds for comparison... So I believe the differences were driven by taste choice and by the potential differences in a 1-12 Tunnel Back and a 1-15 open back.

It would be interesting to make the comparison with a Sword (more vintage) in a 1-15 tunnel back cabinet.

9. carltonh

carltonh Member

I didn't see this thread before, but I'd say the biggest difference is the Legend V12 speaker is not the most tweed sounding speaker, but still close enough for me. I bet through an old Jensen Alnico 2x10 it wouldn't have a problem. Probably the 4x10 combo would work well, but I don't know much about those speakers. Also, I think the Estoc has less power supply sag than the non-master volume models, IIRC.

And here's just a note, many people who think they would need a master volume channel on a two channel amp... you probably don't. The Satori can do just fine as long as you aren't going from super clean to super gain at the same volume. Plus you can sound cranked at very reasonable volumes.

If Jzucker or another owner reads this thread... have y'all tried the Pritchard direct? I think it is the best direct sound I've ever heard, though I only tested it once a couple of years ago cause it's not a feature I have a personal use for.

Off topic, my wife just lost her plug, and if she has her baby within the next 24 hours, this baby will share a birthday with our oldest, which also means 4 babies in exactly 4 years!!! :horse Oh wait, that's not a dead horse I've been spanking too much. :D:eek:

10. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

Firstly, stop having babies, you'll never play well with all that nappy changing.

Secondly, I take it you can go from straight clean to higain effectively with your TZ? How's that going btw?

Thirdly, by "direct" did you mean to PA or recording or both?

11. carltonh

carltonh Member

The Tone Zone supplies the only missing gain element that I wanted for occasional Prog Metal sounds perfectly. I love it... but with so many kids, and a wife-maxed credit card, I haven't been able to fix the three way switch. I'm having to live with that for the immediate future, but can tweek the other knobs and trimmers to compensate, but it takes a little longer.

The direct tone I tried was from the DI output to a keyboard amp.

12. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

This is a really important point. While it's always tempting to go for the "top of the line" or most versatile model, it doesn't seem to me that the Gold Estoc, spec-wise, was really the best suited for CNP's requirements. Similarly, I'm tempted by the GE but wondering if I wouldn't be better served by the simpler SoS.

This brings me to ask: what is it that's "missing" from the SoS as far as prog metal goes? Are we talking more about liquid Petrucci-esque leads or about gut-twisting rhythms? Would a master volume circuit get you there without a need for any pedals?

Another question relates to the modularity of the amps. Say I buy a SoS this year, and then Eric introduces a Tweed "T" voice next year. Can I send the amp in to have one of my amp's voices swapped for the new one?

Best regards,

-Ben

13. carltonh

carltonh Member

Well, I don't think any non-MV amp can get that Prog Metal tone without a pedal, SoS included. IMO, a PM tone requires it because you are exchanging volume dynamics for sustain and pick attack compression, for lack of better terms. Non-MV amps just have too much volume dynamics, which is generally preferred except for Prog Metal and heavier stuff.
    Yes, but you'd likely loose some of the volume dynamics.
    Can't answer most of it, but I think the F voice with midrange set high through a speaker to match would be all you need for authentic Tweed tone. I doubt he'd do a separate Tweed voice.
    I only played an Estoc for a few minutes at a guitar show. It didn't seem as easy to plug and play. You actually have 4 knobs to control gain and volume on the main channel: Input, Gain, Volume, and Watts. I'd recommend the SoS, and even the "single" channel amps over the Estoc for just about everyone unless they played mainly heavy stuff and hated pedals. That said, the Estoc I played was closed back, and I don't like the closed back cab as much.

With the SoS I have three, and a variable boost that can be switched in or out to make 4. That gives plenty of gain at any volume. However, the boost doesn't act like a MV. Instead it adds an extra level of "openness" besides the gain boost.

14. Ben Furman

Ben Furman Member

Carlton,

Thanks for addressing my endless questions. One more: can the "L" voice compete with, say, a Boogie Mark 1?

Congrats on kiddo #4!

-Ben

15. carltonh

carltonh Member

Eric says it is a cross between a Marshall and a Mark 1, and I'd agree. I haven't played a Mark 1 in a long time to say how close to a pure Mark 1 tone. The L voice also covers a lot of territory like some Bogners in that it has Marshall roots but is a bit darker and more tame.