Calling sushi cooks!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by wahfreak, Feb 9, 2015.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

I've made sushi a few times at home now. For the most part it turned out ok but it takes a really knack to get the proportions of fish to rice right.

My real question is about the rice. I'm using a short grain sushi rice (Tamaki Gold) and rice vinegar from the Asian store. I mixed it in a real Hangiri bowl using the slicing motion recommended. It is really, really sticky! Is this normal?
    I try to keep it off of everything but it's like glue. Somehow I ended up stepping on a few pieces with my socks on and managed to track it around my kitchen floor.

I made the sushi shortly after making the rice and it's not quite room temp yet. Should I wait until it has cooled more before making it?

Any tricks to making great sushi rice?

2. wemedge

wemedge Member

How are you making the rice? Pot or rice cooker? Perhaps you're using too much water?

3. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

Rice cooker. I use 2 cups of rice and fill it to the 2cup line in the rice cooker. It's the same ratio when I cook jasmine rice.

Oh, I also rinse the rice until the water is clear before cooking.

4. dohmar

dohmar Member

Sticky rice is what you're aiming for. Wait for it to cool then add the rice vinegar. Put the Nori onto a bamboo rolling sheet (its a series of bound sticks that stops the nori sticking to your hands). Rice on top of Nori and the filling on top of the rice. Leave about an inch on either end of the wrap to cover the exposed ends. Once rolled put into the fridge for a few minutes for it to 'set' then take it out and slice into portions

-D

5. efnikbug

efnikbug Member

Your definition of "sticky" might be different from mine. I find that rice from southeast Asia rather flakey, and Korean and Japanese-styled rice normal. Yes, I have had grains of rice stuck to the bottom of my socks too, but I have never tracked it. I wonder if you're using too much water when steaming your rice.

Also, I find that how you cook the rice (time: heat), even how long you soak the rice before steaming makes a difference too.

Hell, everything makes a difference.

I sometimes sense that after splashing the seasoned vinegar over the rice (again, how much you add to the rice makes a difference), how often you handle the rice, how often you "slice" and incorporate the vinegar into the rice makes a difference. I think if you stir it up too much, the surface of the grains start getting stickier. But that could just be me.

As with everything else, it takes practice and getting a feel for it.

For me and my wife, the rice plays a big role in the sushi experience. The texture, the flavor, and how the starch interacts with the fish in my mouth makes/breaks the experience. For this, I don't understand sashimi. Fish tastes better with rice.

I make rolls often enough (I pack them for my kids' lunches) but what my wife and I like are the nigiri sushi - pretty simple and traditional. I have never attempted to make them at home. I have resigned to that fact that I don't have access to the fish some of the better sushi restaurants we go to do.

Frankly, I think sushi rice is sort of an art. The best I do at home is a mimicry of a hacked version.

6. MVrider

MVrider Member

Oh sushi chef

Oh, sushi chef

you made a mess

you really made a mess

oh, sushi chef

the way you boil that rice

the way you slice and dice

the way you boil that rice

you way you slice and dice,

sushi chef

7. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

the rice was always the most difficult part for me...

rinse (thoroughly)
    cook in the rice cooker (add rice vinegar)
    cool (and add a little more rice vinegar)

8. LHanson

LHanson Member

Rinsing seems to be key for me, in addition to force cooling the rice while cutting in the vinegar.

Good rice makes good sushi. I have made good sushi about 10% of the times I've made it.

9. candh

candh Member

It is difficult. That's why most don't bother here in Japan. Even the cheap kaiten sushi places are better than anything we can make at home.

My wife is the ultimate washoku cook and she's never attempted sushi.

10. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

My wife and mum in law (Japanese/Korean) make killer sushi.
    I know when they rinse the rice they don't use a lot of water in the bowl but they swish it clockwise, pound with the heel of their hand, swish, pound, rinse, swish, pound, rinse...

There is zero milkiness in that bowl. If you just rinse rice and pound it it will get milky.