Calling to all electric builders... Would the Montreal Guitar Show be of some help?

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by guitarjunky, Sep 8, 2008.

1. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

This message is for the small shop-luthiers builders of high-end electric-solid body guitars.

Let me introuduce myself, my name is Jacques-André Dupont, self proclaimed guitarjunky, founder of the Montreal Guitar Show, VP of the Montreal Jazz Fest (2 500 000 attendees) and other businesses (artist managment, TV production and so on).

2 years ago I created the Montreal Guitar show which quickly became a very successfull event for high end quality luthiers of mostly acoustic-classical and archtop guitars.

The event is very well attended (people from Canada, USA and Europe, including musicians, collectors, medias and buyers). It presents world class shows and all sorts of activities around high end guitars, making it one of the top world high end guitar destination.

We do not do factory guitars (nothing wrong with them-but our event is for hand made instruments). And we do not do vintage. Our goal is simply to help small builders.

This year we are thinking about opening a new room for top hand made electric-solid body makers.

So basicallly I was just wandering if you the builders would see our event (a non for profit event by the way) as a good tool to develop your market.

Or maybe it is not, and I will keep doing it with acoustic instruments...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

2. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

I think that is an outstanding idea. If the cost to the builders is do-able, I think many would like to know more.

3. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

Thanks for this reply Terry.

I anxious to know if other great builders like you would be interested.

Cost of exhibiting for a 3 day event is 500$ca, it includes lots of promotion on the web and in the magazines and a great time in summer MOntreal during the Jazz Fest... Nice!

We have acess to affordable rooms for our exhibitors and we are following you through the whole process for this to be a painfree experience...

You can contact any of the exhibitors of the show and they will tell you that we run a good operation...

I suggest that builders interested can contact me at

jacques-andre.dupont@equipespectra.ca

And with Arno my wing man responsible for sending invitations (we are by invitation only to make sure we have the right people exhibiting), we will send you info...

thanks

4. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

I would be thankful if anyone could list me or point me towards high end solid body makers (hand made) that we should invite.

thanks

5. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

No apologies needed!

Contact me and we will discuss.

cheers

and the invitation to contact me is open to all builders!

6. DamianP

DamianP Member

I`ve often thought that there needed to be a show like yours for electric builders. The acoustic world seems quite well served with small builder exhibitions. I think it`s an excellent idea.

Damian.

7. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

What constitutes "hand built"? Duplicarver ok? CNC out?

8. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

Good question. We believe that small operations might need the help of a show such as ours to help promote their work... So we are looking at smaller operation companies... from a one man (woman) builder to a few guys...

As for the hand built vs CNC we understand that solid body builders use more the CNC then the acoustic guys... As long as it is high end and great quality work I guess.

But the response to this thread and emails I will receive will help us define the bondaries...

9. aoguitars

aoguitars Member

Great idea! I would absolutely be interested, Jacques-Andre.

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

what is the situation at the border when bringing in instruments? Do we have to post a bond, or pay taxes of some sort? Are most people driving up with their axes, or shipping them in, then flying themselves? Are the shippers (i.e. Canada Post) going to charge GST, even if an instrument isn't going to be sold, but shown?
    I'd love to go, but it's a two day drive for me, and i wonder what sort of sales would be generated up in Montreal, which is a bit off the radar. If i lived in the NE US, I'd be there, for sure, as my brother lives in NDG. Great city, except for that awful poutine!:stir

11. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

all good questions. Crossing borders is not as easy as staying in the same country, but we do manage very well with several luthiers from the US.

We will give all the info to exhibitors, but if you decide just to showcase, you do not have to pay taxes. There are forms to be prepared but we of know how to do it , and help everyone...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  12. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

Thanks! Contact me at the office by mail!

13. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

yes, I have not seen another event of the sort. I think that our show is the right place to do it...