Calton cases...anything similar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 8strings0hair, Dec 20, 2009.

1. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

I'm looking for a case that offers great protection.

I've had a Hiscox for a while and though only flew with it once, it seems really sturdy.

But somebody highly recommended the Calton cases.
    Being ridiculously expensive though (around $850), I was wondering if anybody knew of a good quality product in a more comfortable price range (say $200 to $400)?...

Thanks for any info.

2. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Nothing in the $200.00 to $400.00 price range will even begin to approach the level of protection a Calton case will give you.

There's a reason why they cost so much...and they're worth it. IMHO.

3. Gretsch1972

Gretsch1972 Member

A Calton is something you buy once. Other cases will need to be replaced in time. Why not buy the best once and be done with it?

4. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Gator makes a good sturdy flight case in that range. I've flown with my Les Paul in it many times and no problems. Not as sturdy as a Calton though (which I also have and have flown with many times with even more confidence). If you fly a lot and can afford the Calton, I'd go for it. Peace of mind is priceless.

5. TravisE

TravisE Member

No. There's nothing that I can think of that is close to Calton quality. Yes, I think its silly to charge that for a case, but I think that this thread will prove that they're pretty much the only game in town.

An option in your price range is Ameritage. They are not flight cases, but they're very nice hard cases that are a big, big step above your average case. (I just noticed Shovelhad's post, so just count this as a +1. :))

6. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

The only thing close I've seen is something like the used Mark Leaf case I recently got here for just under $400 ... built like a tank, the dang thing weighs almost 30 lbs.! Unfortunately Mark Leaf is out of business.

It replaces the 33 year old sturdy "plain" case for my Cumpiano ... so the Leaf should last another 30... lol.

Nothing I've seen, much as I love the Ameritage I have & others, is like a Calton.

But if you don't need a flight case, then some of the other options mentioned could work out well.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Plenty of companies make aluminum flight cases that are just about indestructible. Much cheaper than Caltons, too. Usually bigger, but lighter. Calton cases are heavy!

8. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Seriously -- check out the Gator -- make sure it's the flight case. I have an OM-sized Calton, so I've compared. The Gator will work fine, if you only want to spend $200-400.

9. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

Thanks so much guys!
    I've checked out Ameritage and the Gator flight case, both looking like valid choices.

I do like my Hiscox though, for now (it's for an electric btw). Anybody got good (or bad) experiences with them with air travel (or just heavy duty touring)?

In the end though, I tend to lean with Gretsch1972, the Calton is a one time expense... albeit a steep one.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009