Calypso FX Whirligig!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by muddy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. muddy

muddy Member

here ya go, guys. i posted this over at bAm's tgp-annex last weekend. i will add more, but just to let you know, i am STILL really diggin' this box!:

[​IMG]

until tgp gets back up, i had promised a report on this pedal. i JUST got it on sat., & have been muckin' around with it a little each day. for those who don't know, this is a sim/sound replication of the fender vibratone, which was a 1 rotor speaker cab. well, right off the bat, you now have your 1st choice for covering srv's "cold shot." it's here, bab-eee! no joke! it's pretty scary, but the REALLY good news is that this IS the 2nd (of only 2, really; the dls rotosim being the other) rotary pedal that actually WORKS with od's & dist's! and brilliantly, i might add. it doesn't rob your git of articulation the way the rest do. and it sounds gorgeous at it's slowest spin, as well (pisses all over the rt-20). it does a VERY respectable badge with just the 1 rotor. anyway, i'll get more into it once our home is back up, but i just wanted to pass this bit of info along, & hopefully, those that inquired will find it.

ml

2. fatback

fatback Member

Another G.A.S. attack, care of Mr. Muddy.:D

Thanks for the heads up. Are they in production now or is this a proto?

3. muddy

muddy Member

no, that's it. he does these in batches of 10 or so, so you need to email him & get in on a batch. it was £110 all up (he takes paypal, who'll do the conversion for you). and, just to save you any aggro, what you see is what he'll make for you, so don't bother asking for a ramp up/down fsw. he works on a very tight budget which makes any r&d'ing for future improvements or upgrades a VERY lengthy process. my recommendation would be to get a music toyz "third hand," connect it to the spin pot & be done with it. trust me, once you've heard this box, you'll be glad to have gotten one in ANY stage of it's development. and in euro, where he sells these, no one seems to be bothered at all by the lack of a ramping fswitch. if i get a chance, i'll make some clips. anyway, here's his site:

http://www.calypsofx.co.uk/

ml

4. erksin

erksin Member

That thing sounds pretty damn good - nice to have another otion besides the MGMV and others. Thanks for the tip, Mud!

And PS - thanks also for the tip on placing my DLS C~V last in the chain (simulating amp Vibrato), it sounds much more natural and amp-like now and plays better with my delay too!

5. fatback

fatback Member

cheers Mud-

After a couple of dissapointments with some of the recent leslie sim pedals last year, this sounds like just the ticket. I first heard Scotty's pedals from your reviews and clips so I know I can trust you ears. I'll be checking one of these out soon.

:)

6. gez

gez Member

Thanks for the flattering review Muddy. Could I just ask you to remove my email address from your post though? I don't really want to be hit by loads of spam and the contact button on my site is all that people need to get in touch (it points towards two addresses and a POP box so between them I'll catch all enquiries). Thanks.

Just so people don't have false expectations (and this is all subjective), to my ears the Whirligig sounds best with mild overdrive only. If you're thinking of playing huge amounts of distortion through this pedal you may be disappointed.

Anyway, glad you like it Muddy!

7. erksin

erksin Member

gez -

Any chance the Whirligig can be built with the Speed knob at the bottom left corner (swapped with the Depth control)? Easier to manipulate with your foot that way, I'd think...

Also - what is the boxes dimensions?

8. muddy

muddy Member

email removed ;) already asked that one, erskie... the answer was no. and as for an overdrive, medium to lighter is usually the ticket (it LOVES the dirt roy & power driver!), though it IS a bit more forgiving than gez would have you believe; it really depends on the od. od's that over-saturate & mush out set for lots of drive will not sound very good. the pro analog peds, which are much higher in articulation factor, sound awesome. especially if you back off on your git's vol pot, & bring it up for leads. but gobs o'gain, no, gez is right. but that would be true of most leslie sims, just a LOT less with the whirli. it doesn't give you that hollow eq that most do, making it MUCH more suitable for od's. it's a very addictive box, believe me. it's a joy to play.

ml

9. dmczern

dmczern Member

Hey Muddy,

You hit the nail on the head with your review ! Thank You !!
    You're much more knowledgable and articulate than myself and
    expressed my feelings about this wonderful pedal perfectly.

I had returned my Boss Rotary Ensemble a few days before I purchased
    my Whirligig and my hunch was correct !! Gez was fabulous to deal with
    too (answering emails very quickly and answering some silly questions I had).

What are some of your favorite settings ??

Thanks !

Cheers from HOT DRY COLORADO !!!!!!

10. muddy

muddy Member

i don't think i've really settled on fave settings yet, other than setting the "spin" fully ccw, which i LOVE (the badge setting ;))! tell me, have you tried it with any overdrives yet? it's one of the things i love most about the whirli, how good it sounds with them! like the green channel of the dual drive! or the honybee! whoooo-boy!

ml

11. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

muddy, where do you set the Nuance and Depth for the Badge setting-o'clcok format please. I am ordering one from Gez this week.

12. muddy

muddy Member

nuance & depth both at 9:30, approx. this is with the spin fully ccw. sorry it took so long getting back. of course, for the srv/cold shot setting, with the spin at a fast setting, the depth gets turned up to the cw side of the dial, nuance up to taste. these 2 needing to be changed is what makes an exp-pedal kinda pointless, or at best, difficult to implement.

ml

13. todd richman

Muddy, could you post a clip of the Badge setting as described above. I need to hear that before pulling the trigger. Also, Gez, what is the size of the pedal in inches?

14. gez

gez Member

Todd, I don't have any boxes in at the moment, but going by the data sheet for them it's approx 4.72 X 3.74 X 1.4 inches.

The Whirligig simulates the sound of a single-rotor cab, so it won't sound exactly like 'Badge'. However, it does replicate the 'chorale' setting of a Vibr*tone well and gives a lush sounding 'wash'.

15. fatback

fatback Member

16. muddy

muddy Member

now you guyz tell me, have you EVER heard a rotary sim NOT destroy an od's tone like this one doesn't? this thing really delivers tonally, i am VERY happy with it. thanx for the clips, fatz, i've just been so lazy as of late to do any m'self. try it with the dirt roy ;)

ml

17. todd richman

Hi Joe. Ccould you do a video demo setting with the muddy approved Badge settings of Spin fully counter-clockwise, Nuance and Depth at 9:30. Please, I will be forever indebted to you for this and Gez will be very happy when I purchase one...

18. muddy

muddy Member

and don't forget the dirt roy on the purple setting (for badge). or use the red (cheez) & back way off on your git's vol pot (bring it back up for the solo). if i do get a chance, i'll do one m'self this weekend.

ml

19. fatback

fatback Member

Who's Joe? ;) (the J. is for John.)

Scotty is still tweaking my Dirt Royal so I'll let Muddy take care of the "Badge" clips...

Also, I had an accident with my little finger this morning when I broke a wine glass while doing the dishes and need to give my hand a rest this weekend while the skin over my last knuckle grows back.
    :eek:

20. todd richman

Oops, not Joe!!! Hope the finger heals quick so we get more video...muddy this one is on you!!!