Came back to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bunky, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

When I listened to this album when I was younger I was kinda only so-so on it, now it might be my favorite BS, even though I don't need to hear Fluff or that synthesizer heavy track, a lot of hooks on this album.

2. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

ya, a very good album that I revisited recently as well.

3. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Most of the songs are synth heavy on that album it's just that you hear it more on some. Rick Wakeman was the kb player for that album. It's my #2 Sabbath album and I love it.

Ozzy was at his best vocal wise for SBS.

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

before i heard the original, I heard the Anthrax cover.. I though the song was called 747.:brick

5. Neer

Neer Member

One of my favorites in childhood, my grandfather gave me that record for Christmas when it came out. I was 10--mind blown. Still listen occasionally. Heavy borrowing from Moody Blues string arrangements on Spiral Architect. Favorites are Killing Yourself to Live, A National Acrobat and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, of course.

6. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Did your grandfather listen to the album?? My first Sabbath album at about 9 or 10, and still my favorite. I got Paranoid shortly thereafter (which I also love), but it's always started and ended with SBS for me.

7. Neer

Neer Member

His son--my uncle--had the first LP and Masters of Reality, so he was no stranger to the music, although he was a jazz musician. I used to go with my grandfather to the local department store, Two Guys, which had a good record department. We went often together. No doubt he helped trigger my fanaticism with record hunting which began in my teens.

8. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

This one holds a special place in my heart because as a young kid I only had "we sold our souls for rock and roll" and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. I always thought this one had the coolest production too.

9. Bogner

Bogner Member

Revisiting Sabbath is never a bad thing.

10. Frank Prince

Frank Prince Member

That was the first really heavy rock album I heard in my life. It changed everything for me. Still love it to this day.

11. Lance

Lance Member

Cool! I did not know that.

I remember when they first came back in 1998, and they had Ozzy's drummer on that tour. Oz just wasn't able to hit that stuff, so they dropped it from the set list.

12. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Dude, Fluff is a great track! Can't be balls to the wall all the time.

13. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I never left it. That album is amazing.

14. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Yup, their finest hour with the original line up. Spectacular album all around. Sabotage might be a close runner up, however.

15. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I prefer the latter slightly, mainly because you can hear them starting to come off the rails, and therefore there's more danger and chaos, which I like. It's also slightly heavier. SBS is the work of a band with all elements working perfectly.

16. Neer

Neer Member

I'm sitting here with my iPad at my son's baseball practice and I can still hear every single note of that record in my memory.

17. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

Possibly my least fav album of the original lineup. It never clicked with me and always sounded rehashed some how.

TG

18. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Killer album.......the artwork entranced me as a kid.
    What is amazing to me,is that they could sound so heavy with such wimpy production.
    Not that it's bad production, but the drums are really distant.

19. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Vol 4 is the peak of the original band for me. SBS was never one of my favorites, but i have come to like it more and more as time passes.

edit-
    Okay so i had a lengthy commute today, and decided to revisit some of the older Sabbath albums. I actually prefer "Sabotage" and (gasp!) even "Technical Ecstasy" to SBS.
    SBS does have the best artwork though!

On a related note, Bill Ward was just an absolute monster back then. IMO he deserves the same accolades that Moon and Bonzo get when talking about great 70's rock drummers.

Last edited: May 2, 2015