Campbell and Green Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by martyncrew, Sep 27, 2006.

1. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

Hi - quick question for any owners of these guitars: my favorite neck profile is a '62 Strat C profile, based on that do you think I will like the "flattened" C profile of these guitars? Thanks, Martyn

2. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

the Campbell necks I've tried remind me very much of a typical '61 Strat profile, which to me is like a typical '62 with maybe a touch more girth.

/rick

3. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

I just got one of these guitars from a fellow TGP members. Should be here by the end of the week. I'm really looking forward to checking it out. Anyone that owns one I'd be interested in knowing what you think about these guitars!

4. KRosser

KRosser Member

Aren't they just "Campbell" now?

A local retailer has a couple. I think they sound really great. Necks play great. Bodies are way too small for me. (I like 335's and Teles without contours - you know, I like to feel like my guitar can be used as a flotation device in the unlikely event of a water landing).

But, I think, a very impressive 'workhorse'-type instrument, especially considering how reasonable the prices are.

5. teletalkin

Yes they are now Campbell. The one I'm getting is a Greene and Campbell 2004 I believe. Hey KRosser.....have you ever played a MM Albert Lee guitar? To me the Campbell's body looks to be about the same size.....at least as far as overall mass not shape.

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

I don't think I've played an MM Albert Lee...at least not that I recall

7. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Thought it was a great axe. If I had one minor complaint it was that it felt a bit "stiffer" than my Strats & Tele's. Could have been just mine though. Neck was a tad wider than I'm used to, but I really got to like it after a bit.

8. teletalkin

I've had mine now for a few days and the "bonding" is really starting to take effect. I was a bit afraid I wouldn't like the guitar mainly because it has two humbuckers. I've always seemed to favor single coils so my concern was that the guitar would be great, but I would have a hard time adjusting to the tonal differences. First thing I did was pull the tone knob so I could hear what the humbuckers sounded like split. First reaction was.....wow that sounds pretty good. For me most humbucker guitars just don't sound right when split. Although it does sound a tad different than what I'm used to, the pickups in split mode sound very good. The pickups are Seymour Duncan APH-1N and a APH-1B which are not loud in full humbucker mode.....which is just great for me. So overall the tone of this guitar is fantastic and very versitile. The build quality is exceptional too. The pocket is tight and solid. The neck alignment is perfect with plenty of room on the outside of both E strings. I hate it when either E string is so close to the side of the neck that it falls off while playing. I thought the headstock of Campbell guitars looked a little too big in pictures, but once seeing the guitar up close it looks right and matches the "flow" of the instrument nicely. I am very impressed with this guitar and glad I got one. The workmanship is top knotch and it is just enough off the beaten path to be pretty darn cool to play...:AOK

9. RickC

Did you buy the blue Tiger? If so, that was formerly mine, and yes one of the most impressive things about that guitar was how good the split sounds were. Best I've ever heard.

/rick

10. teletalkin

Yes I did buy the blue Tiger. How did Seymour Duncan come to sign the back of the headstock? I actually took a chance on this guitar because I've never played one. To me Campbell guitars just look like they play well and this one does. Were you the original owner Rick?

11. erksin

erksin Member

Do they make lefty models? I think their guitars are really nice looking...

12. teletalkin

I'm not sure erksin.....I emailed Dean Campbell with a few questions and he answered back in detail the next day. I'm sure he can let you know.

13. RickC

Yes; I got that guitar new at Mr Music in Allston MA. I guess Seymour was in the store one day, doing some promotional work, and they got him to sign it.

/rick

14. teletalkin

Okay.....thanks for the info!