can 1000$ get me an AMAZING amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by analogjunkie, Jun 10, 2006.

1. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

I play a very aquired style (jazz/fusion/funk.. balls to the wall jam band stuff) . Right now I am using a vibroverb combo (running at a low wattage of around 35 on 2 6l6 tubes) and it breaks up too early for my liking.. i want LOUD clean tones... as i use my dirt/od pedals for my distorted tones.

I am looking for just a head, but a combo for 1000 would be nice.

My set up is as follows;

PRS custom 22>RMC3>RMC picture/wizard>Mutron>analogman Bi comp>analogman OD-9 silver mod>analogman king of tone> (TB looper)DM-2>DD-5>AMP

2. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
  3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i take it u have a vibroverb RI?
    or a '63 or '64???
    i have a RI and it does start to break up earlier than most fender amps. however, i'm able to get pretty decent loud, clean tones just not LOUD, clean tones. have U thought about using a higher output/more hi-fi tube like a KT88 or something? how are U getting a lowish 35 watts from the 6L6s, variac?

4. postalblowfish

postalblowfish Member

You want LOUD and clean? Got a decent back? Check out a Fender Twin circa '68-'72 or so, pre-master volume. Easily converted to a warmer blackface sound, takes pedals great, reliable as an anvil, and last I checked readily available for <$1000. I love my '68 (except for moving it) and I never have a problem being heard. ;)

5. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

the 35 watts is what my amp tech said its running at.. (he said we can take it down to 22 if need be- hes a genious with amps, used to work for alessandro)

I would prefer just a head, because im going to be buying a tonetubby cabinet ala steve kimock... man i love that guy.

can anyone help?

6. cameron

cameron Member

You want loud clean headroom? Get a 70s Fender, and have your tech restore it to 60s specs. Should come in much less than $1000 total. The reason few boutique amp makers do BF Fender styles is that there's not much point trying to compete with the used Fenders from the 60s and 70s that abound on the market.

7. smilefan

smilefan Member

8. hawkeyeinexile

i've got a '64 Showman head, use it for bass mostly. prices are going up & i always thought they were way undervalued, as are Riveras. between my Showman and my Rivera for guitar, i'd prefer the Rivera: construction, durability, effects loop, channel options, versatility, etc. pros for a Showman are simplicity, nifty mod platform :)nono but do that to a silverface instead)

:D

:cool:

9. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    +1 My Original 64 Twin Rev is louder than the T-Rex in Jurassic Park.
    The down side is it also cause ripples in water glasses when I walk with it. ;)

10. hawkeyeinexile

:D

'swhy i got pop-out casters on the Rivera. (fyi all y'all, a Twin is pretty much a Showman w/reverb & in a 2x12 combo format). output is usually in the 75-84w range. loud and clear, much more so than other BF designs. guy i gig with used to use a Twin w/EVM-12Ls in it. yikes :eek:

:cool:

11. kannibul

kannibul Member

You could probably get someone to build you a weber kit, and get some killer tone for under $1000, probably much less than that...

It'd be had to do that with a true vintage amp :)

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

Traynor YBA-1

SF Bassman

You could buy both of these for way under a thousand.

Put a lower gain preamp tube in the front, and have at it...

Loudboy

13. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Yes, you absolutely CAN get an amazing amp for $1000!!! If you like, you can PM me for info. about my amp. I have a friend in Chicago who is just starting an amp company, and I have his first pre-production model. It's the best grand I ever spent. I absolutely love it, and for the $$$, it can't be beaten.

Best,

Doc :)

14. pep

pep Member

Try out a Traynor YGL-3 Mark 3. They have a sweet tone and are at least as loud as a twin. The tone is a bit smoother than a twin but similiar in a lot of ways. It is a fatter sound than I have ever been able to produce with a fender amp, and does nice crunch when you push it with humbuckers. Only thing I didn't like about mine was the weight, but this is largely due to the speakers and the massive transformers. Best part is that they are readily available for around $400. Handwired PTP too!

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Traynor/YGL_3_Mark_III-1.html

Mine came with the original JBL's. I am not really a fan of these but I sold them within a couple days on the bay and replaced them with Eminence legends that cost less than the JBL's sold for. Also, I replaced the power amp tubes with EH 6CA7's for a more defined american tone.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Also the Traynor V4 if you've got a good back (or the V2 combo)-loud as hell, pedal friendly, boat anchor heavy!

16. gazeglow

gazeglow Member

A friend of mine had a '70s Ampeg V4. That thing could roar, it was the loudest amp I ever heard. Plenty of clean headroom. Probably also the heaviest head I've ever tried to lift...

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yeah, I was going to chime in with that as well - $800 for mine, used, and mine is in constant use. An amazing amp. One of the top five best bang-for-the-buck gear expendatures I've ever made in my life.

18. analogjunkie

analogjunkie Member

19. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Put a 15" JBL in your VV. Mine has only a smidgen of breakup at full volume. Then hit it with pedals, and you're really rockin....

20. iggs

iggs Member

A touch over $1K (model: Cielo) but right up there with stuff costing twice as much:

www.bumboxamps.com