Can a BC Hot Cat do Allman Bros. tones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by KazJY, Feb 7, 2008.

1. KazJY

KazJY Member

Whattayou think?

Can any current Hot Cat owners chime in here?

Thanks!

2. vicilux

vicilux Member

I find that class A amps are not as conducive to that tone and cathode bias amps a little more conducive but a fixed bias amp, particularly a plexi type amp or Fender with some OD get more near that. No, I do not own a Hot Cat. But i did go back to non-class A type amps a while back for this reason in that fiwed bias amps dont get nasally and seem more dynamic. Just my 2 pennies though.

3. jeffh

jeffh Member

In general yes, especially Whipping Post like or newer type tones.

Something like the leads in Melissa or Rambling Man, I'd say no there is a little too much "bite" on the top end of the Hot Cat.

4. davebc

davebc Member

That would definitely NOT be my first choice for true AB tone, not even close.

5. jeffh

jeffh Member

No me neither, my first choice would be one of Greg Germino's amps.

I play a Hot Cat, we do Whipping Post, In Memory of Elizabeth Reid. The Hot Cat can get in the same ballpark, it's by no means "nails it". The right cabinet and the master past 9 o'clock, it can be done.

6. KazJY

KazJY Member

Funny, because I read something on here the other day about Germino, and thought "yeah, it's about time I played through one". This confirms it a bit for me, ya know?

OK - I appreciate everyone's comments - I considered buying a used HC head, but will save the idea for another time.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

The Hot Cat 100R can get all those tones and more if you know how
    to set up the amp and use the correct speaker enclosure.

When you guys limit your speakers to the stock vintage 30s' you're really missing out on a lot of tonal potential.

These amps love EVM12Ls, and Heavy Duty 10" AlNiCo's and 15"s too.

Greenbacks and AlNiCo Blues too, you just need to experiment.

The biggest mistake going for tones seems to be when you add too much
    gain in the OD section.

Of course it also helps to have a great selecton of guitars and knowing
    how to use the volume and tone controls and your attack to get to the sweet spots.

8. bigjoeblue

bigjoeblue Member

I'll second the Germino. The LV55 and a nice LP will make you smile.

9. KazJY

KazJY Member

While people are recommending Germinos - I play SGs almost exclusively, and I've been to the website - mmm - tasty looking (and from the clips, sounding) stuff!

10. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

if you want that tone you got to have the big bottles! 50w Bass plexi or 100w super lead...EL34's or bust. I'm sure you can get "close" with other type amps, (I have el84, 6v6, and 6l6 amps), but my bass plexi is the one especially going into my 4x12 cab with scumbacks

11. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

the hot cat uses EL-34's. the only one that doesn't is the 15, which is the only one using EL-84's - unless you have a custom hot cat 30, there's a few that have a quad of 84's, but not many.

I haven't ever tried to nail that tone, so I can't really comment either way on it.