Can a binding nut slot make you flat too?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by alanfc, Aug 7, 2006.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

I just changed to a higher gauge (011) and find that despite much playing and stretching, that the B string seems to come flat, after a big bend.

Could the string be binding with my bend, then not returning to its proper place?. So that its slacked just a tiny bit (between nut and bridge) ??

I usually read about tight nut slots causing sharpness.
    thanks

2. stucker

stucker Member

My experience is that the string goes a bit sharp if it binds after a bend. Do you have a floating bridge?

3. alanfc

alanfc Member

hi thanks

its a Strat, with the trem blocked and flush with the body

maybe I did a weak job on stringing in the tuner peg

4. burchyk

burchyk Member

hmm, if the string binds over anything after bending then it should go flat imho

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

AHA !

My original logic.
    I'll check the nut

6. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

If it binds during the bend it will stay a little sharp because it is sharp during the bend. It is just not getting back to pitch all the way if it is sticking or binding in the nut.
    If it is going flat is is still stretching or it is possibly coming a little loose at the tuner.
    It could just be bad string.

7. Gradinger

Gradinger Member

This is correct. When a string is bent, it slides through the nut towards the bridge. When it's released, if it sticks in the nut slot the tension is lowered between the nut and bridge and the note will be flat.

If you don't have nut files, fold a peice of 400g sandpaper in half with a sharp crease and gently clean the slot. Angle the paper down towards the tuner side to preserve the leading edge of the slot (the edge closest to the bridge). If you round over the leading edge, the string won't intonate properly.

8. alanfc

alanfc Member

9. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

My bad! You are right.
    My mind was stuck on using the trem bar and staying sharp.
    That's the usual trouble I have with binding in the nut.
    You are talking about string bends.
    I should pay more attention!

10. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

A binding nut + bends can make a string go sharp too...if the string binds while tuning up to the note, there will be extra tension between the nut and the tuner, then bending starts the string moving a little bit, which breaks the bind (usually accompanied by a telltale 'plink' sound), and the string goes sharp afterwards. It used to happen on my Les Paul all the time....

cheers,

Kris