• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Can a crappy player have a great tone?

eddie famine

In some previous threads we've encountered great players with crappy tone, great tone and great players, and the famous , not crappy, but sloppy players. But, dear friends, can one be a crappy player with great tone? I mean with the right gear almost anyone could "sound"good, cant they? I can't think of any examples however. I've played with guys who had TGP approved vintage gear but it still sounded like crap. So is it possible, a crap player, great tone? No points for saying tone is in the fingers

neoprimitive

tone isn't in your fingers. tone starts with your wallet and finishes through the speakers.. ;)
i suppose a crappy player could have great tone. I'm a pretty sloppy player and I'm no prodigy, some would call me a crappy player, but my tone is outstanding.. i think my tone is probably better than my playing though.

catpeople

Left hand vibrato and pick attack are a big part of "tone." Bad players often have horrible spastic vibrato and wishy washy pick attack. So they can't have good tone. QED.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
For sure ... have heard many a horrible guitarist with great tone ...
Good tone doesn't make it all better though ...

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I've never heard a crappy player with good tone since a good part of that "tone" is actually technique, which is why good players can play crappy gear and still have good tone.
The best gear in the world won't save bad technique.

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
I've never heard a crappy player with good tone since a good part of that "tone" is actually technique, which is why good players can play crappy gear and still have good tone.
The best gear in the world won't save bad technique.

Quoted for truth...I've never seen a bad guitarist that i thought "Wow great tone"....I've seen plenty of great players with bad tone but not vice-versa...

larimar

Well for starters we would need to all agree on a working definition of what "crappy playing" is ...then after some debating.....we could then all set...a...blah...blah...

Well for starters we would need to all agree on a working definition of what "crappy playing" is ...then after some debating.....we could then all set...a...blah...blah...

I think that would be easier than coming up with a working definition of what "great tone" is.

Black Squirrel

Gold Supporting Member
Sure, Some players are crappy cause they Have nothing really to say with the instrument. The mostly hang in somewhere in 12 bars

I've heard players who aren't my cup of tea that I think have great tone, that's about as far as it goes. They still have good enough technique to pull out good tones.

Bad playing usually nurtures bad tone.

I don't know about crappy players

But I've heard plenty of decent players who had better tone than great players...again this forum is probably full of them lol

amstrtatnut

I played with a guy who was better than crappy but not great. Maybe by some standards he was crappy. He got some good tones completely by accident sometimes.

danielkn

Truly crappy player? Not too likely, but it's possible since 'great tone' is subjective.

Yep. Since there are varying degrees of what people would consider 'crappy' playing, there are definitely cases of not-amazing players having great tone.

Can a crappy singer have great tone?

Absolutely.

seiko

Marc Bolan apparently learnt just enough to write songs. His producer said he knew 6 chords in total. Certainly sounded great and did lots with a little knowledge.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom