1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can a good DI improve your modeler SONICALLY?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by serviviente7, May 21, 2011.

1. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

I have been thinking this for a while and and will like to know your opinion on this. I know that quality DI's will perform better, last longer, ect, BUT will it improve your sound??? Anyone have gone thru and experience where one DI sounded like crap and then you used another one and it help the TONE of your MODELER?

2. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

UA Solo 610 will do it, guaranteed!

:beer

3. s0c9

s0c9 Member

Except that's not a DI.. it's a pre-amp! and of course it will 'color' your sound...
    A good DI should be transparent.. it's sole purpose is to convert hi-Z to lo-Z signal. So basically, the answer to the OP's question is no!

4. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Right.... but what a glorious color

:aok

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I have tried a couple and find that a Whirlwind Imp2 is as good as anything.

That said, I also discovered that, apparently, the POD HD 500 sounds BETTER through a direct box than using the built-in XLR outputs... Can't say why, can't prove it, but it sounds better to my ears.

6. s0c9

s0c9 Member

Yup.. got them, and a range of others I use (with my PA), all the way up thru the Radial JDI. Honestly, for live work, while the Radial IS ultra-clean.. at the average [bar] gig level, the IMP2 or similar sounds just as good. :aok

7. serviviente7

Good to know about that Whirlwind Imp2...will ck it out. Now I am also not only getting intrigue by the DI but will this setup work?

guitar to Avalon U5 to DI to mixer? Will the Avalon U5 work without the mixer?

8. s0c9

s0c9 Member

Why the DI? You don't need it with the U5. It has both mic and line level XLR outs.. either one connected to a mixer channel should be fine. Line level will likely require a "pad" capability on the mixer channel, so I'd use the mic level XLR out - if it were me.

9. serviviente7

yeah i am thinking about that AVALON to use it with my HD400 and also my real gig....amps,,pedals,,, It is expensive as heck but that being a preamp will color your sound no doubt. I guess the answer to my DI question is NO. Dang it then i find it hard to spend $200.00 for a DI box if it will NOT improve your sound.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. scotchtape800

scotchtape800 Member

Yeah, it's more to retain the sound you have...

The whole point is when you convert it to low impedance for long cable runs / mixer inputs, you have something to do that with.

If you don't have a good one you're forever relying on what's lying around... which is inevitably a crap yorkville DI that cost $2 to make.

11. coderKen

coderKen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

What do you mean when you say "better"? I'm wondering if it's because the mono 1/4" out is summed and the xlr outs are not?