Can a Legacy realistically compare with the XTC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

I'm dead set on getting an XTC 101b and just re-listened to Vai's demo with the Legacy from the Carvin site.

Whilst it doesn't sound as good as XTC clips I've heard, it does sound very nice IMO. I see some people on various forums saying it replaced their XTC, but this can't be right can it?

2. digital jams

digital jams Member

That Legacy clip is pretty processed so I really do not use that as an example of a Legacy.

That said you are selling the MK IV so you are just not that cool anymore. :crazyguy:p

3. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

I had a Legacy and now have an XTC. I think the legacy is a really good amp with a low mid type tone. I did not own them at the same time, to side by side them. However to me the Bogner is a great amp and much more versatile. I had the Legacy 4x12 at the same time as Bogner 4x12 the Bogner cab was infinitely better. Try the Legacy on a 10 day trial if they offer that in the UK.

4. Erik

Erik Member

I liked the Legacy that I played...but I bought a Bogner.

5. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Sorry Mr Jams :(

6. mdsmith64

mdsmith64 Supporting Member

I have both the Ecstasy 101B and a Legacy side-by-side right now as I write this. My view is that they are really two different beasts. Roodboy was right to say that the Legacy has a really pleasing low mid thing going on. It doesn't do the high gain nearly as well as the Bogner,though, in my opinion. The Ecstasy seems to have a bit more depth to it's sound.

Oddly enough, (or maybe not so oddly) I think the Legacy clean channel might sound a hair better than the Bogner's. I'm not a big connoisseur of clean tones, however, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

In terms of versatility the Bogner has it all over the Legacy. Class A or Class A/B, assignable presence controls, series/parallel loop, high/low gain switches, assignable Plexi mode, selectable excursion and pre-EQ settings...you get the point.

The bottom line for me is that there is no way in hell that the Legacy is going to make me sell the Ecstasy. On the other hand, the Legacy isn't going anywhere soon either. If someone didn't have the $2K to $3K to spend on an Ecstasy, they would certainly be doing no wrong in getting a Legacy for a third or so less (or a fraction of that used). I've used mine for recording with excellent results and it makes a perfect road rig (I cringe at the thought of risking my Exctasy at a gig). Hope that helps.

Mike.

7. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

at one point, I bought a Legacy as a backup, and felt the same way as you. Not bad for the $$$, but in no way a replacement IMHO. I think if I played the Legacy before owning the XTC, I may have felt different. Owning the XTC first spoiled me.