Can a MIJ tele body accept a non MIJ bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 5wayswitch, Mar 15, 2008.

1. 5wayswitch

5wayswitch Member

Im going to be making a parts tele amd i am wondering if i can use a MIA bridge or any of the other brand of bridge ( ie. callaham, glendale, barber ect ect.)

any info would be welcome

thanks

jim

2. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I always thought that the MIM will not work in a MIA or MIJ "vintage" bridge setup, but I could be COMPLETELY wrong. I do know that I had a MIJ Tele body and dropped in a Joe Barden Vintage bridge (apparently VERY important that it's the Vintage model) and it fit perfectly. The main reason I went this route is that the previous owner had this same configuration... it was nice.
    EDIT: there is some very clear info on the Callaham site explaining that MIA (and I believe MIJ) is different spacing and such than MIM - he has different models of stuff to cover each one.

3. 5wayswitch

5wayswitch Member

thanks for the info guys

4. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Silver Supporting Member

I have several MIJ Teles all replaced with MIA ashtray 3 saddle bridges. a perfect fit. Where you could run into trouble would be using a USA Standard bridge on a 50's/60's style guitar. That wont work. LIkewise the Callaham , Glendale, Barden, will work and if you like a six saddle the gotoh (used on the MIJ Micawber) will work too. Great guitars. Be sure to replace the electronics if you havent. New pots will really wake that up!