1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Can a neck pickup be close in location to a bridge pickup?...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by XXTwighlight, May 17, 2011.

1. XXTwighlight

XXTwighlight Supporting Member

I was considering another Warmoth guitar, and since I pick close to the neck, i always hit the neck pickup and create an annoyting percussive noise. If I were to get a custom pickguard and placed the neck pickup either in the middle position or even closer to the bridge, would this affect anything? Or...how close do you think i could get to a bridge pickup without any interference?

For a Telecaster

thanx

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

You can have it anywhere you can mount it.
    It sounds more like a bridge pup as you locate it closer to the bridge, so expect some change.

3. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

Stealth neck pickup hidden under the guard.

Tele that looks like an Esquire, no more nailing the pickup when picking.
    I apologize in advance for using EMGs... ;)

[​IMG]

4. XXTwighlight

Is this stealth made specifically to hide under a pickguard?

Can u do this with any pickup? I'm assuming not and that it would have to be very powerful.
    Does it have to be active?

Any info about under the pickguard pickup placement would be appreciated.
    Thanx

5. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

I've done it with strat pickups, Duncan 59s and the EMGs. It helps if the pickup is a bit hotter than the bridge. You can thin the pickguard with a router right where the pickup is if the thought of .06-.09 of plastic bugs you, but I've never needed this. I've seen others use strat pickups with just the poles sticking out too.

6. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

The closer to the bridge, the brighter and more midrangy it will sound. IMO, you can move a tele neck pickup about 1 inch towards the bridge before it stops sounding like a neck pickup.

7. XXTwighlight

Lowering my pickup all the way down would be fine too. I dont have to hide it.
    But it would have to be more powerful than it is as the volume would be too low if i lowered it down with the stock impedance.
    I use a Tele with Duncan Antiquity bridge and a Antiquity mini humbucker in the neck.
    I guess i would need a more powerful mini hum for the neck to lower it all the way down. But doesnt it pop out of the screws when you lower it too much?
    Would a rewind be cheaper? Or buying a new one altogether?

Then if i placed the mini humbucker flush with the body or lower, how would I know what the correct impedance should be if i can really raise or lower it too much...?
    Thanx

8. Mudder

Mudder Member

As to position, take a look at the Kramer Nightswan. Almost set up like a mid and bridge rather than neck.

9. Joe Naylor

Joe Naylor Supporting Member

I'd try a hotter version of the Duncan mini humbucker. Maybe the SM-2 neck.

You can always get longer screws if you have to. There's also a possibility that the pickup rout needs to be deepened. You might consult with a good tech.

Start by lowering the neck pickup to where it doesn't interfere with your playing. Then adjust pickup heights until you have a good volume balance.