Can a pickup change save my relationship with my Jazzmaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jerrycampbell, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

I've had a J Mascis Jazzmaster (the purple sparkle one) for several years. It plays great, but the sound has always been uneven. Loud third string, quiet first string, etc. So-so tones.
    Will a PU change save us?
    If so, what is a good, articulate choice?

2. mxvin

mxvin Member

was just reading an article about Hendrix. He would use a custom of strings in the gauges of his choice to accentuate or reduce the "volume" of a string.

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-roger-mayer-secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup

also pups with adjustable pole pieces

3. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member Vendor

yep either do what Jimi did, or get ya a set of pups with adjustable pole pieces..

r

4. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

5. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

The unevenness is one issue. Lack of high-mid punch is another.

I'll try that, thanks, Doctor.
    A different set gauge will be the next thing I try.
    Then, maybe a pickup set with adjustable pole pieces and more hi-mid tone on the bridge and more beef at the neck. Does such a set exist?
    I've tried different pickup heights, but without much improvement. Right now the PUs are tight to the body.

6. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Are you using flatwounds? I have a '62 AVRI Jazzmaster and the tone is similar to what you've described. However, I use flats and play surf tunes so it's perfect for that.

Jazzmasters weren't designed to bring teh rawk. They weren't really designed with surf rock in mind either, but since they were adopted by that crowd in the '60s it suits the genre quite well.

7. taildragger

taildragger Supporting Member

"Jazzmasters weren't designed to bring teh rawk. They weren't really designed with surf rock in mind either, but since they were adopted by that crowd in the '60s it suits the genre quite well."

NONSENSE!!!

Marty DiBergi likes this.
  8. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

I'm trying to integrate it into a band and need it to sound great clean and with various effects. Dirty tones are pretty cool with this guitar, but my core sound is big and clean.
    A Telecaster works for everything but I was hoping this JM would give me another sound to work from.
    BTW, this is the second time I've owned one of these guitars.

9. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Exactly what planet are you from? Do you think Leo Fender put all of the electronics in the upper bout of a Jazzmaster there for rock tones? :huh

The internet. Where everyone is an expert. :bonk

10. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Ric Ocasek of the cars played one for a while. So did Elvis Costello. I'm sure there are some good tones somewhere to be had.

I've not had a big issue with the loudness/balance problem except with certain types of strings. Thomastik-Infeld flats seem to have loud B and e strings, whereas D'Addario Chromes don't. I've not tried rounds with a Jazzmaster though.

11. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Sir, I don't mean to be offensive, but your comment is beyond wrong.

12. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

I use a P90 wind in the bridge, better all around balance. A buzz stop also helps even out the strings.

13. daddyplayedsax

daddyplayedsax Member

Neither were Teles, Strats or LPs and look how that went. I think what Taildragger was trying to say is that guitars are rarely designed for the sounds they turn out to be remembered for, rather than just that they weren't designed for jazz. The JM has always been a pretty unpopular guitar for traditional jazz tones, outside of a few notable players like Nels Cline who aren't really traditional themselves.

OP - try picking up a pair of second-hand pickups from the Squier JMJM. They're more to the side of P90's than vintage JM but they sound really fat and tasty, and they have adjustable polepieces. J uses them in his other guitars these days I believe.

14. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

The Japanese Jazzmaster pickups aren't really Jazzmaster pickups. They're more of a Strat-type pickup in a Jazzmaster shell, and while I didn't think they were terrible, many do. So, swap pickups if you're looking for a truer Jazzmaster sound; I would expect more output, bigger bass and better mids. I have a Lollar that's excellent, Novaks sound really good, but I think the real bargain is with AVRI 62 pickups. Traditional Jazzmasters dominate when it comes to clean tones, IMO.

15. Lock

Lock Member

Masquis plays a prototype of the SqJMJM and actually took out the SqJMJM pickups and put SD Antiquities into it. Everything else is stock. This is from watching a rig rundown he did a while ago.

16. Lock

Lock Member

I have a Squier JMJM and the pickups would definitely cure this issue. They are very defined and have a lot of mids and upper mids, like a p90. However, they are also very hot. Like similar volume to the HBs in my SG. I think they sound good clean, but I imagine there are better clean pickups out there, and if that is your number one priority I they wouldn't be my first choice.

(Caveat: I don't own a JM with traditional pups, just the SqJMJM, so I haven't compared it hands.)

17. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

Interesting posts, guys, thanks.
    My benchmark for JM tone is my friend's original '64, so I want it to sound like a real JM.
    I agree, poolshark, the clean tone should be amazing.

18. AL30

AL30 Member

I've not played that guitar. I do have a mid 90's MIJ Jazzmaster. Pickups were an issue. Not at all what I was looking for in a Jazzmaster. A friend of mine has a real '62 Jazzmaster so I was using that as a benchmark. I dropped in a set of Novak's and it was a night and day difference.

AL

19. mixtery

mixtery Member

Peter Leonard Pickup Wizards pickups. Incredible rhythm pickup he makes. Clean and big.
    Unfortunately the quality of most JM's are not up to par with the vintage ones. The AVRI 62 and especially thin skin are worth it.
    MIJ seem very hit and miss especially in the electronics dept.

Scott Naylor likes this.
  20. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

Haven't heard of them before. Thanks, mixtery.
    I just picked up a 010 set with a wound G, so I'll set that up soon and see if that helps much.