Can a portable electric heater weaken a guitars's pickup magnets?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by EADGBE, Dec 31, 2017.

1. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I have one in my guitar room because it's cold in there. I was wondering how far away I should keep it from my guitars?

2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Supporting Member

Never heard of it affecting magnets but be careful not to dry out the wood.

soulman969 and EADGBE like this.
  3. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

If it's the heat you're worried about, the magnets will be fine long after you've roasted your guitars to death.

"Alnico alloys have some of the highest Curie temperatures of any magnetic material, around 800 °C (1,470 °F), although the maximal working temperature is normally limited to around 538 °C (1,000 °F). They are the only magnets that have useful magnetism even when heated red-hot."

4. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Magnets will be fine. Humidity will suffer greatly, so you might end up with some fret sprout, particularly on newer instruments.

The place I just moved into has a humidifier running full-tilt boogie on the (new-ish) furnace, but the room some of my guitars are in needs the help of a space heater during the winter to get it anywhere near comfortable. I recently noticed the humidity can get below 20% some days, which is pretty dry. Gonna have to get a secondary humidifier up here.

5. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Member

I'd be more worried about drying out fretboard and causing some serious fret sprout. I always run a humidifier in the winter in my jam room.

6. ylo

ylo Member

Field intensity falls off as the inverse square of distance. So, I would say keep the heater coils more than two millimeters from the pickups.

walterw likes this.